Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many fighters in boxing right now can command $15 million or more per fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many fighters in boxing right now can command $15 million or more per fight?

I'd say just Pacquiao and Klitschko. That's about it.

Floyd is retired so I'm not counting him.

This may be very ignorant. But I think canelo may be able to and even Marquez. I know you mean any fight guarantees 15 mil But the closest would have to be the British fighters with their ridiculous domestic matchups

Comment

Klitschko has only made that high once hasnt he? against Fury where the 15 million included his tv deal and PPV Share.

Him and AJ are reportedly splitting 36 milion dollars but AJ is a-side.

nobody deserves 15 million a fight right now. Pac doesnt deserve it just on his name alone if he continues to fight people below his level.

Comment

I really don't care what fighters earn. People are obsessed by money, even if it's not theirs.

Comment

Boxing is a lot like Hollywood right now. In Hollywood, there are a couple of actors who can command huge pay days based on their name value alone (Tom Hanks, Denzel Washington, Leonard DiCaprio) - everyone else has to be pair with the right co-stars or project. Like look at Robert Downey Jr, he's great, everyone loves him, but unless he's in an Iron Man costume, his movies aren't guaranteed successes - same thing with Johnny Depp and his pirate outfit. Matthew McConaughey is awesome, but his star vehicles don't do great unless it's with top level co-star talent and good directing.

So to take that analogy to boxing - who could command $15 to fight anyone under the sun? Canelo? Manny? Maybe Wlad if it's in Europe and gets a good distribution deal. But there are a LOT of possible fights where fighters could easily command $15m to be one half of the headline and it would be worth it. Tyson Fury can't walk back to the sport and say give me $15m, BUT if he faced AJ, or Wilder, or rematched Klitch, you bet he's worth paying out that kind of guarantee to. Neither Ward or Kovlev are worth that kind of scratch to face a #8 or #9 ranked guy, but they MIGHT be worth that to rematch. Kell Brook and Amir Khan: alone? No way. Together? Ehhh, yeah, a promoter might want to loosen the purse strings to put on that fight.

My point is, boxing is entertainment - and all entertainment; sports, music, movies, TV...the number of stand alone stars who can carry something on their name value alone is shrinking. Collaboration, combining, and loading events with so much star power people feel like they HAVE to watch is the new formula for success in getting those coveted entertainment dollars.

Comment

Possibly Canelo.

I don't think Marquez can get that much. In fact I'm sure he didn't for his last fight against Mike Alvarado.

Comment

Originally posted by yammy25 View Post
              Klitschko has only made that high once hasnt he? against Fury where the 15 million included his tv deal and PPV Share.

Him and AJ are reportedly splitting 36 milion dollars but AJ is a-side.

nobody deserves 15 million a fight right now. Pac doesnt deserve it just on his name alone if he continues to fight people below his level.
              He got more than $15m against Povetkin too, so the AJ fight will be his third mega pay day in the last few years

Comment

Gennady gg golovkin

Comment

which boxer could command 40 million when Floyd offered that to him?

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingPugilist View Post
                    Boxing is a lot like Hollywood right now. In Hollywood, there are a couple of actors who can command huge pay days based on their name value alone (Tom Hanks, Denzel Washington, Leonard DiCaprio) - everyone else has to be pair with the right co-stars or project. Like look at Robert Downey Jr, he's great, everyone loves him, but unless he's in an Iron Man costume, his movies aren't guaranteed successes - same thing with Johnny Depp and his pirate outfit. Matthew McConaughey is awesome, but his star vehicles don't do great unless it's with top level co-star talent and good directing.

So to take that analogy to boxing - who could command $15 to fight anyone under the sun? Canelo? Manny? Maybe Wlad if it's in Europe and gets a good distribution deal. But there are a LOT of possible fights where fighters could easily command $15m to be one half of the headline and it would be worth it. Tyson Fury can't walk back to the sport and say give me $15m, BUT if he faced AJ, or Wilder, or rematched Klitch, you bet he's worth paying out that kind of guarantee to. Neither Ward or Kovlev are worth that kind of scratch to face a #8 or #9 ranked guy, but they MIGHT be worth that to rematch. Kell Brook and Amir Khan: alone? No way. Together? Ehhh, yeah, a promoter might want to loosen the purse strings to put on that fight.

My point is, boxing is entertainment - and all entertainment; sports, music, movies, TV...the number of stand alone stars who can carry something on their name value alone is shrinking. Collaboration, combining, and loading events with so much star power people feel like they HAVE to watch is the new formula for success in getting those coveted entertainment dollars.
                    Triple G sees a Canelo as his iron man suit. Robert Downey jr's money for those films isn't a straight up figure it's dependent on how much money the movie makes and that's what Golovkin is thinking.

Comment

Working...
                    X