No announcement yet.

Off balance or airborne punches

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off balance or airborne punches

You have the technically perfect punches. Feet planted, good mechanics, the way a punch “should” be thrown, and how you teach a beginner. Watching the GOAT boxers, they are able to throw power punches while being off balance,, leaning, back, leaping in mid air from any angle. This seems to be how they win, but Not really how you’d teach someone to throw a good punch. Not considered a technically good punch. Is this something that is taught or just learned? Thoughts? I don’t see much out there on this...what I would call advanced technique. Practicing this on my own, it seems to require a certain amount of athletic ability and possibly god given talent.

Originally posted by Eastbound View Post
    You have the technically perfect punches. Feet planted, good mechanics, the way a punch “should” be thrown, and how you teach a beginner. Watching the GOAT boxers, they are able to throw power punches while being off balance,, leaning, back, leaping in mid air from any angle. This seems to be how they win, but Not really how you’d teach someone to throw a good punch. Not considered a technically good punch. Is this something that is taught or just learned? Thoughts? I don’t see much out there on this...what I would call advanced technique. Practicing this on my own, it seems to require a certain amount of athletic ability and possibly god given talent.
    They know the position of their body and actually practice throwing punches from these angles because I practice throwing punches from all angles so I’m sure they do as well. Just look at the Prince Naseen working out he’s throwing these type of punches when doing his gym work

Comment

The more you practice and shadow box different punches the more comfortable and relaxed you can throw punches. Once you get your balance properly understood you can get much more creative with
      Punches and throw them
      From
      Crazy angles or slightly out of position.

Comment

Those are exceptional athletes who win despite their breaking of the "rules" or form. They don't train to do that. In the ring, distances are MUCH harder to manage and a perfect punch is just out of range so a fighter like Manny or Roy will leap themselves into it. You either have that ability to adapt in the heat of the moment or you don't but you can't train FOR that kind of thing. You have to have your form dialed in and if you are athletic enough, you might be able to get away with unconventional things during a fight.

Comment

Agree that its mostly athletic ability . I'd think one could get better at it, or improve their own game, especially practicing similar foot work drills while punching. To actually implement these exact moves in a fight would be entirely different and much more difficult to pull off. I think also that these moves are just part of the fighting style that was developed over time by these guys. Much trial and error of figuring out what works and what doesn't. Also what is physically possible from an individual standpoint. so maybe todays fighters can incorporate their own versions of these moves (or bits and pieces) into their own style. it's fair to say that individual boxing style is partly determined by inherent physical attributes or limitations

Comment

I wonder if the Superman punch counts as airborne punches

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
              I wonder if the Superman punch counts as airborne punches
              yeah man I'm going to try that in sparring next week and see what happens

Comment

Originally posted by Eastbound View Post
                yeah man I'm going to try that in sparring next week and see what happens
                Video of it, please!

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                  Video of it, please!

Comment

Originally posted by abracada View Post
                    ahahahahahahahah :3some:

Comment

Working...
                    X