No announcement yet.

Why Prime Mike Tyson beats Sonny Liston

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Prime Mike Tyson beats Sonny Liston

1. Speed. Liston never dealt with such speed in his life. Sure, he had a powerful jab and hit hard, but he never had to land or avoid punches from a 218 lb heavy who was quick as Patterson but with punching power that rivaled his own. Tysons speed and defensive acumen would always keep him in position to counter Liston with clean combinations.

If you forward to the end of the fight and look at the slow motion part, you'll see how Pattersons head movement actually caused Liston to miss a lot of punches. Why Patterson didnt take advantage I have no clue.

[media]7b-n0UuHpvA[/media]

2. Size. This wont have a direct bearing but this is just to address the misnomer that Liston was just so much larger than Tyson. IMO one of Listons best showings was vs Cleveland Williams. In that fight he was 6'1 212 lbs. Tyson was 5'11 218 lbs vs Michael Spinks. So Liston was 2 inches taller but 6 pounds lighter. So no, he wouldnt be towering over Tyson. But I will grant you that Liston was an unusually built and powerfully built man.

3. They both had power to KO the other. But Tyson took blows from SHW power punchers like Bruno, Ruddock, and Lewis. To stop Tyson, he'd have to punch in fast, accurate combinations for many rounds. One punch at a time with an occassional combination isn't going to cut it. On the upside, Liston was a better technician than Foreman.

Tyson would retaliate in quick combos. And his speed and accuracy is alot greater than Cleveland Williams. Liston being hit by a 218 lb power puncher punching in lightning fast combinations he cant see coming probably doesnt end well.

4. Liston doesnt have the quick hands to make up for his lack of footspeed. He'd be a sitting duck for the much faster Tyson.

I predict a mid round stoppage in favor of Tyson. This is vs a prime Liston

The version of Liston that showed up against Ali is dispatched in a similar and brutal fashion as Larry Holmes.

Bottom line is Tysons mix of speed power and defense and ability to take a punch is too much for Sonny Liston. But Liston would be a tough opponent for Mercer, Chuvalo or Moorer or Lyle. Not Tyson.

Sonny Liston was slow as **** , Tyson beat bigger harder punchers, so he had a long reach and a jab , hurrah welcome to 21st century

Comment

Speed. Liston never dealt with such speed in his life............
      Paterson the second fastest heavy ever.!
      Size. Tyson was 5'11 218..........?
      Tyson was barely 5'10" more like 5'9"
      Size that means something is Liston's huge reach advantage. Tyson never fought inside he preferred just inside mid range which is in Liston's danger zone. Liston punched in combination and had devastating left hooks!
      Two many fans just look at the Ali bouts and don't view Liston throughout his career. Sonny was an excellent puncher with power in both hands.
      This is a tough match up to figure because of the power they both have.

I'll take Tyson early if not Liston mid rounds!

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by uncle ben View Post
        1. Speed. Liston never dealt with such speed in his life. Sure, he had a powerful jab and hit hard, but he never had to land or avoid punches from a 218 lb heavy who was quick as Patterson but with punching power that rivaled his own. Tysons speed and defensive acumen would always keep him in position to counter Liston with clean combinations.

If you forward to the end of the fight and look at the slow motion part, you'll see how Pattersons head movement actually caused Liston to miss a lot of punches. Why Patterson didnt take advantage I have no clue.

[media]7b-n0UuHpvA[/media]

2. Size. This wont have a direct bearing but this is just to address the misnomer that Liston was just so much larger than Tyson. IMO one of Listons best showings was vs Cleveland Williams. In that fight he was 6'1 212 lbs. Tyson was 5'11 218 lbs vs Michael Spinks. So Liston was 2 inches taller but 6 pounds lighter. So no, he wouldnt be towering over Tyson. But I will grant you that Liston was an unusually built and powerfully built man.

3. They both had power to KO the other. But Tyson took blows from SHW power punchers like Bruno, Ruddock, and Lewis. To stop Tyson, he'd have to punch in fast, accurate combinations for many rounds. One punch at a time with an occassional combination isn't going to cut it. On the upside, Liston was a better technician than Foreman.

Tyson would retaliate in quick combos. And his speed and accuracy is alot greater than Cleveland Williams. Liston being hit by a 218 lb power puncher punching in lightning fast combinations he cant see coming probably doesnt end well.

4. Liston doesnt have the quick hands to make up for his lack of footspeed. He'd be a sitting duck for the much faster Tyson.

I predict a mid round stoppage in favor of Tyson. This is vs a prime Liston

The version of Liston that showed up against Ali is dispatched in a similar and brutal fashion as Larry Holmes.

Bottom line is Tysons mix of speed power and defense and ability to take a punch is too much for Sonny Liston. But Liston would be a tough opponent for Mercer, Chuvalo or Moorer or Lyle. Not Tyson.
        You can't note their size without acknowledging Sonny's reach.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
          Speed. Liston never dealt with such speed in his life............
          Paterson the second fastest heavy ever.!
          Size. Tyson was 5'11 218..........?
          Tyson was barely 5'10" more like 5'9"
          Size that means something is Liston's huge reach advantage. Tyson never fought inside he preferred just inside mid range which is in Liston's danger zone. Liston punched in combination and had devastating left hooks!
          Two many fans just look at the Ali bouts and don't view Liston throughout his career. Sonny was an excellent puncher with power in both hands.
          This is a tough match up to figure because of the power they both have.

I'll take Tyson early if not Liston mid rounds!

Ray
          I've seen all of his fights caught on film and Tyson is a superior and faster combination puncher

Comment

True. But Tyson regularly fought guys with longer reach

Comment

Tyson soils himself during the staredown. Liston had that jab, right hand, left hook combo that was devastating. I see him catching Tyson with those punches early for the KO win.

Comment

Originally posted by uncle ben View Post
                I've seen all of his fights caught on film and Tyson is a superior and faster combination puncher
                I agree with Ben on this one.

Comment

Working...
                X