Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is the heavyweight champ Manuel Charr fighting a guy who hasnt fought since 2014?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sun_Tzu View Post
    Ha, I knew when I saw this earlier it was about Golovkin.
    Yeah, I guessed as much. Doesn't make him wrong though.

Comment

Originally posted by famicommander View Post
      The WBA regular belt is worse than the IBO or Ring belts at this point
      The WBA is a joke for making the two belts

Comment

This is all fallout from that awful fight between Oquendo and Chagaev in Chechnya a few years ago. Rubbish fight followed up with a highly suspect failed drugs test following a very questionable decision win for Chagaev. (The same thing happened to Lucas Browne after he knocked out Chagaev at the same venue in his last fight.) Then he never got paid his purse, and filed a lawsuit, and the WBA have had him as mandatory for years, seemingly as an apology, without him ever fighting. Weird as hell.

Man though, I can't help but think back to that weird Chagaev fight. That was one of the most surreal boxing events I've seen. It was on at something like 1 in the afternoon in the UK because of the timezone difference, took place in this big open air stadium in Grozny, and there was all this bizarre slavic ceremony and folk dancing going on. They had footage of what looked like celebrities rolling up in limos and sports cars like it was a big movie premiere. Evander Holyfield was there. There was this ridiculous build up with a disturbingly well-produced video presenting Chagaev as some kind of slavic knight defending his homeland, despite the fact that he's from Uzbekistan, not Chechnya. All of this for a very subpar "regular" champion defending his title against a practically anonymous guy with no notable wins coming in at literally 24 hours notice (he was supposed to be fighting Shannon Briggs at first.) The national anthems took an eternity. The fight was absolutely terrible, both guys fought like they had lead weights dangling from their gloves. Chagaev got the win on a really narrow points decision, which I honestly think was a robbery. Neither guy fought well but Oquendo was mostly outboxing him. Presiding over the whole event was the bearded, slightly goony-looking Chechen president Ramzan Kadyrov, who was apparently best buddies with Chagaev and would pop on down to Chagaev's corner to give advice (when he wasn't doing that, if I remember right he was sat on a literal throne.) That was the first time I ever saw him on TV. Fast forward to 2017 and I see Kadyrov for the second time on the news as he oversees a mass purge of ****sexuals in Chechnya provoking international outrage (still ongoing afaik.) It was bizarre seeing this guy accused of, and not denying, his complicity in an atrocity, and my reaction being "holy crap, that's the weird guy from that crap boxing match I watched on a Saturday afternoon on Boxnation in 2014!"

Comment

Originally posted by Scopedog View Post
          This is all fallout from that awful fight between Oquendo and Chagaev in Chechnya a few years ago. Rubbish fight followed up with a highly suspect failed drugs test following a very questionable decision win for Chagaev. (The same thing happened to Lucas Browne after he knocked out Chagaev at the same venue in his last fight.) Then he never got paid his purse, and filed a lawsuit, and the WBA have had him as mandatory for years, seemingly as an apology, without him ever fighting. Weird as hell.

Man though, I can't help but think back to that weird Chagaev fight. That was one of the most surreal boxing events I've seen. It was on at something like 1 in the afternoon in the UK because of the timezone difference, took place in this big open air stadium in Grozny, and there was all this bizarre slavic ceremony and folk dancing going on. They had footage of what looked like celebrities rolling up in limos and sports cars like it was a big movie premiere. Evander Holyfield was there. There was this ridiculous build up with a disturbingly well-produced video presenting Chagaev as some kind of slavic knight defending his homeland, despite the fact that he's from Uzbekistan, not Chechnya. All of this for a very subpar "regular" champion defending his title against a practically anonymous guy with no notable wins coming in at literally 24 hours notice (he was supposed to be fighting Shannon Briggs at first.) The national anthems took an eternity. The fight was absolutely terrible, both guys fought like they had lead weights dangling from their gloves. Chagaev got the win on a really narrow points decision, which I honestly think was a robbery. Neither guy fought well but Oquendo was mostly outboxing him. Presiding over the whole event was the bearded, slightly goony-looking Chechen president Ramzan Kadyrov, who was apparently best buddies with Chagaev and would pop on down to Chagaev's corner to give advice (when he wasn't doing that, if I remember right he was sat on a literal throne.) That was the first time I ever saw him on TV. Fast forward to 2017 and I see Kadyrov for the second time on the news as he oversees a mass purge of ****sexuals in Chechnya provoking international outrage (still ongoing afaik.) It was bizarre seeing this guy accused of, and not denying, his complicity in an atrocity, and my reaction being "holy crap, that's the weird guy from that crap boxing match I watched on a Saturday afternoon on Boxnation in 2014!"
          That's insane, I'm going to have to watch this crap fight now!

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx.. View Post
            It is a real title right?
            A real title? Sure. It’s not a real World title though and you have most likely only brought this up to bash another boxer

Comment

Hell of a write up.

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx.. View Post
                It is a real title right?

how?

why??

GGG gets credit for defending that same "REGULAR" belt so it has to be legit right?
                Very good setup to turn it into a Golovkin thread lol.

GGGs regular title fight shouldnt count towards his title run in my opinion. As long as there is a super champ at the same time, the WBA regular is just a paper title.

Comment

GGG is super champion if he has regular WBA tittle he won it off your boy Jacobs Larry so zip it.

Comment

kadryov was also present for the chagaev browne fight and I was fearing for brownes life after he knocked out Chagaev lol.
                    Browne kept his celebration very lowkey, so that he wouldnt provoke kadryovs wrath lol.

Comment

Originally posted by CinderelliMan View Post
                      GGG is super champion if he has regular WBA tittle he won it off your boy Jacobs Larry so zip it.
                      larry is talking about the time when sturm held the wba super belt and golovkin the regular belt. It wasnt golovkins fault, because sturm blatantly avoided golovkin, but at the same time those fights under the regular belt shouldnt count towards his title run.

Comment

Working...
                      X