Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The IBF - Love 'em For Enforcing Their Rules or Hate 'em for Their Terrible Rankings

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
    and if my aunt had a dick she'd be my uncle. lol

I think we pretty much agree here. The issue is trying to find a balance between unwavering rule enforcement and not having lousy champs as a result. Problem is that there is no clear solution. Anytime you start with "exceptions" or "flexibility", then corruption / favoritism is not too far behind.......
    Right. When all of the top fighters have belts/mandatory positions/are ranked in other organizations and then multiply that by the fact that there are 4 organizations, you will have the 20th, 30th and even 40th ranked fighters getting shots at titles. It severely waters down the playing field.

The question is should the IBF just run their system on a "that's just the way it is and we can't do anything about it" basis or start making decisions on a case by case basis. This "case by case" decision making is the exact thing we are whining about the WBA, WBC and WBO though.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP. View Post
      Right. When all of the top fighters have belts/mandatory positions/are ranked in other organizations and then multiply that by the fact that there are 4 organizations, you will have the 20th, 30th and even 40th ranked fighters getting shots at titles. It severely waters down the playing field.

The question is should the IBF just run their system on a "that's just the way it is and we can't do anything about it" basis or start making decisions on a case by case basis. This "case by case" decision making is the exact thing we are whining about the WBA, WBC and WBO though.
      true story.......

As for me, I prefer the IBFs method, rather than the "who will make us the most money" method employed (in varying degrees) by the other 3 organizations. Sometimes it aint pretty (Fury, GGG-Wade, Kov-Mohammedi, etc), but at least its clear as to what is required of you as a champion.....

Comment

I think it has to be a case by case basis. In the case of Fury, the IBF damaged its most important title-the HWT belt-by stripping it from the man who just upset Wlad (after 10 years) and having Glazgov and Martin fight for the belt.

It seems clear the sport, the IBF and the fans would've benefitted from Fury keeping the belt.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
          I think it has to be a case by case basis. In the case of Fury, the IBF damaged its most important title-the HWT belt-by stripping it from the man who just upset Wlad (after 10 years) and having Glazgov and Martin fight for the belt.

It seems clear the sport, the IBF and the fans would've benefitted from Fury keeping the belt.
          I kind of blame Duva for that. They were getting a title shot at Wilder but instead used and abused the IBF's rules to try and get an easier title shot. Luckily it backfired. In the end, Martin will lose to Wilder or somebody and we will still likely get an undisputed champ at some point.

Comment

I kind of blame Duva for that. They were getting a title shot at Wilder but instead used and abused the IBF's rules to try and get an easier title shot. Luckily it backfired. In the end, Martin will lose to Wilder or somebody and we will still likely get an undisputed champ at some point.
            True but the IBF actually had its organizations name connected to the horrendous fight. Charles Martin is their HWT champion.

Sadly, the IBF is in Jersey. I can't believe there isn't someone with some common sense that said "Wait a sec, are we sure we want to do this?"

So much incompetence in boxing!

Comment

I have to admit that I like the IBF's transparency and the fact that they follow their rules to the letter. You always know where you stand with them.

Fury shouldn't have agreed to rematch Wlad right away. He could still have his belt if he had just kicked Glazkov's butt first.

Comment

All the other alphabet organizations seem corrupt as hell and make things up as they go.

Comment

The WBO had Charles Martin ranked #1. The kid is undefeated and was North American champion for a while. Not sure why some of you are acting like he's some total bum. We still haven't seen what his potential is. If becoming undefeated IBF heavyweight champion of the world was so easy, everybody would do it.

The WBO had Tyson Fury #1 and then they had Charles Martin #1. The WBO's mandatory was the one to finally knock off Klitschko. I'm not saying Martin is an all time great, but he was clearly considered a legitimate contender, with a #1 WBO ranking and #4 IBF ranking.

Comment

The way the IBF runs things might not always be good for business. But it's the most fair and equitable of all the sanctioning bodies in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                    X