Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does GGG get a pass for ducking Andre Ward?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FinitoxDinamita View Post
    You can duck somebody who isnt in the same division.
    He said he was willing to fight at 168 though then rejected it as soon as they opportunity came up. Plus when Canelo was still fighting at 154-155 lots of people were saying he was ducking Golovkin and needed to fight him. So he can call out smaller guys and the media pushes for it and then it happens. But when he gets called out by someone above him it's okay for him to just straight avoid it?

Comment

Originally posted by JK1700 View Post
      He said he was willing to fight at 168 though then rejected it as soon as they opportunity came up. Plus when Canelo was still fighting at 154-155 lots of people were saying he was ducking Golovkin and needed to fight him. So he can call out smaller guys and the media pushes for it and then it happens. But when he gets called out by someone above him it's okay for him to just straight avoid it?

Smaller guys who have been killing themselves to make 154. Smaller guys who held the WBC belt in the MW division. Smaller guys whos mandatory was, guess who? Golovkin.

Yes, totally the same situation.
      Last edited by Szef; 07-23-2017, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Szef View Post
        You don't even know what you're talking about.

http://www.boxingscene.com/roc-natio...minutes--96761
        LOL that's not the offer i'm talking about. That's a link to Golovkin's promoter defending him rejecting a 2nd offer. Even in that situation, his excuses are not valid. They could've made the fight after Lemieux but as Ward said, they wouldn't even consider that. They just didn't want to fight him, period.

Let's just be honest. They avoided Ward at all costs.

Comment

Smaller guys who have been killing themselves to make 154. Smaller guys who held the WBC belt in the MW division. Smaller guys whos mandatory was, guess who? Golovkin.

Yes, totally the same situation. ;lol1:
          Kinda hard to take you seriously on this topic. The man's in your avi and your clearly getting emotional here defending him like crazy. Fans wanted Canelo-Golovkin before he even went to 160, the difference is he moved up & took the fight whereas GGG basically told Ward "I won't fight you, maybe in 4 years".

Comment

LOL that's not the offer i'm talking about. That's a link to Golovkin's promoter defending him rejecting a 2nd offer. Even in that situation, his excuses are not valid. They could've made the fight after Lemieux but as Ward said, they wouldn't even consider that. They just didn't want to fight him, period.

Let's just be honest. They avoided Ward at all costs.
            The offer that was 'turned in 36 minutes' is the one made before Lemieux fight.

Comment

Look i'm not hating on him here, he's a very good fighter, exciting to watch and all that. Just pointing out the double standards that exist. Some guys get protected and still get praised like crazy, while others go and fight the best guys all the time and still don't get nearly the credit they deserve.

Comment

Kinda hard to take you seriously on this topic. The man's in your avi and your clearly getting emotional here defending him like crazy. Fans wanted Canelo-Golovkin before he even went to 160, the difference is he moved up & took the fight whereas GGG basically told Ward "I won't fight you, maybe in 4 years".
                And I guess you're to be taken seriously when you don't even know what you're talking about?

Canelo didn't move up, he already was a MW and even held a belt in that division that he won from Cotto.

He took the fight after years of stalling and hiding in his made up 155 division. Hell, he even vacated the belt when Golovkin was his mandatory.

Nobody is getting emotional. I'm just fact checking you and you don't like it.

Comment

HBO still spins the boxing narrative

We're in a era where fans and media are so quick to call out the fighters. As soon as a fight we want doesn't happen, fans start calling one guy or the other a ducker and the media writes stories about who doesn't want it etc. We know that some fighters are more liked/get preferential treatment but why was Golovkin allowed to avoid this fight so blatantly and not get any pushback for it? He got a pass.

They bill this guy as "the most feared person in boxing", he said he would fight anyone from 154 to 168 and Ward offered him a 50-50 split at 168 in 2014/2015 before he moved up to LHW. The offer was rejected in "36 minutes" because "Golovkin wants to unify the division, maybe in 2018 if all goes well".

When asked about Ward, GGG said "I'm not going to talk about him, I don't want to hear about him". That's right folks, the guy who is the most feared of anyone and will fight anyone at any weight, doesn't even want to talk about Andre Ward. When we're in a era of fighters always having to move up and constantly take challenges, why is this guy allowed to avoid a huge fight like that? You guys called Canelo a coward for not wanting to go from 154 to 160 to fight him straight away, but he won't even go up 1 weight class, not even one! The media wants to crown this guy p4p#1 but the best fighters have gone up 2-3 weight classes, and we're just going to give him a pass for not being willing to go up at all?

Let's be real they ducked the fight because they know Ward is the toughest boxer to beat in any weight division and more than likely would have exposed and beat him. I just think it's crazy, how some guys get criticized for what socks they wear, and other guys get a pass for anything and everything. It's just crazy.
                  By doing out access/patronage to the boxing press, HBO and the "old guard promoters" (Top Rank, Oscar, Main Events, K2) control the message that gets to the general sports media (Outside of Floyd, who was built into so big a star that he undercuts most of what HBO pushes against him).

HBO spent 4 years, spinning the public with their stories of Golovkin being the new wrecking machine (by being kept busy against soft opposition, Golovkin was able to deliver the performances to keep to HBO's story).

Andre Ward was counter to the story, so HBO/old-guard basically got the boxing media to not push/mention.

Comment

We're in a era where fans and media are so quick to call out the fighters. As soon as a fight we want doesn't happen, fans start calling one guy or the other a ducker and the media writes stories about who doesn't want it etc. We know that some fighters are more liked/get preferential treatment but why was Golovkin allowed to avoid this fight so blatantly and not get any pushback for it? He got a pass.

They bill this guy as "the most feared person in boxing", he said he would fight anyone from 154 to 168 and Ward offered him a 50-50 split at 168 in 2014/2015 before he moved up to LHW. The offer was rejected in "36 minutes" because "Golovkin wants to unify the division, maybe in 2018 if all goes well".

When asked about Ward, GGG said "I'm not going to talk about him, I don't want to hear about him". That's right folks, the guy who is the most feared of anyone and will fight anyone at any weight, doesn't even want to talk about Andre Ward. When we're in a era of fighters always having to move up and constantly take challenges, why is this guy allowed to avoid a huge fight like that? You guys called Canelo a coward for not wanting to go from 154 to 160 to fight him straight away, but he won't even go up 1 weight class, not even one! The media wants to crown this guy p4p#1 but the best fighters have gone up 2-3 weight classes, and we're just going to give him a pass for not being willing to go up at all?

Let's be real they ducked the fight because they know Ward is the toughest boxer to beat in any weight division and more than likely would have exposed and beat him. I just think it's crazy, how some guys get criticized for what socks they wear, and other guys get a pass for anything and everything. It's just crazy.
                    Whenever I read the term let's be real or honestly U know the guy has an agenda.

Comment

And I guess you're to be taken seriously when you don't even know what you're talking about?

Canelo didn't move up, he already was a MW and even held a belt in that division that he won from Cotto.

He took the fight after years of stalling and hiding in his made up 155 division. Hell, he even vacated the belt when Golovkin was his mandatory.

Nobody is getting emotional. I'm just fact checking you and you don't like it.
                      Look, don't get upset. I know exactly what i'm talking about and ive broken it down to you alone several times as well as in the first post. You might not understand, but i've explained it. Golovkin's team turned down the fight twice. You can't make excuses for that, he said he would fight anyone and at 168, then flatly ducked the fight once it was presented. He's fought several JMW's coming up and now he's fighting another, but he can't move up 1 division himself to fight a guy who was calling him out? I mean it's over and done with now but, seriously?

Alvarez having a few fights at 155 doesn't make him a real MW. Yeah he was fighting for the belt (which is the WBC f"cking up) and I agree if he's fighting for a MW belt he should fight the best MW (which he's doing), but it doesn't change the fact that he's still really a JMW and hasn't grown into a MW yet. GGG is fighting someone naturally a division below him, so why can't he go up 1 division?

He will probably go up after this fight now that Ward's gone

Comment

Working...
                      X