Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greatest Heavyweight Never A Champion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem is, every guy on my list belongs there, every one of them is a viable candidate. With the possible exception of Buddy Baer. Quarry could certainly take his place.

When I made the list I had suspected Norton was some kind of paper champion at some point. That is one reason he was absent. Another reason is that there are five guys already on the list who would knock Kenny cold as a cucumber, I am pretty sure of it. Against the biggest punchers he commonly went out cold. If he could take your punch, he could give you hell, but otherwise he went out cucumber-cold.

I do not know who I could take off to make room for Briggs, if the poster was serious about that name. Perhaps Chris Byrd could come off, since we already know what Ike would do to him.

Foreman claimed that Williams, Lyle and Cooney were all among the hardest hitters he had been in the ring with, the impact of whose punches shivered your whole body.

Tommy Gunn is another guy a lot of folk would like to see on there. But we saw him demolished more than once. As in the case of Norton, we saw slightly too much of him to include him.

I don't know, lads. I want to leave either Young or Byrd on there to represent the pure feather-fisted boxer. Quarry is the only one I feel strongly compelled to amend the list for and include.
    Last edited by The Old LefHook; 03-18-2018, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Jimmy young solid very good, jimmy had a couple tough early losses, but rebounded to having a great career with some good wins , real good wins " see George Foreman ".
      His best days were probably 1975-80. His last fight where he was still a legit contender was against Gerry Cooney. If you look up his boxing lifespan it went along time, another great fighter like Quarry who if you were not in top shape or looked past him you would not get your hand raised. And that's that.

Comment

I would have to go with Young on that list. Got robbed vs Ali and beat a game Foreman. Not an especially exciting fighter but highly skilled.

Comment

Ok HOOK , I'm gonna bust your chops some more, nothing personal, strictly business. You can't have Ron Lyle on your list when Jerry Quarry bested him over 12 rounds. Lyle best win is Oscar Bonavena & Ernie Shavers, he did best Buster Mathis as well.
          He lost to Ali & Foreman, and those might've been his best performance, and has too other defeats at the hands of Jimmy Young, and a loss to Gerry Cooney. He's better than Byrd , Ike or Cleveland Williams though. Enjoy the topic Hook great Job, and that's that

Comment

It's funny how to this day Ibeabuchi is brought up all the time. What a waste of talent.

Comment

Ike is running away with it.

Comment

Chris Byrd was two-time heavyweight champion of the world. How he is on this list?

Comment

Like others have said quarry should be on the list, and maybe Norton. I mean did he ever actually own a title? He was given it by default. Of he'd gotten that tight decision over Holmes it could have been so different.

Other than that, all relevant names have been discussed and mentioned.

Comment

Well, I got dragged across the glowing coals.

Cleveland Williams is not too highly thought if in these parts. The Big Cat was pretty dangerous. One of the three hardest punchers Foreman said he was ever in the ring with. Each punch shuddered your whole body according to George.

Comment

Well put Hook, but again Just because someone is a hard puncher doesn't mean they should be a lock In your rankings. Remember one thing after all those memorable fights big George Foreman was in , He never walked in the squared circle with Jerry Quarry, I wonder why. Styles make fights and I think Quarry would've given George problems, I would say George would've stopped him on cuts more than likely, but the way jerry would counter punch with that check Hook it might've been interesting.
                      And that's that

Comment

Working...
                      X