No announcement yet.

Nerves/Mental Battles

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nerves/Mental Battles

I'm going to keep this short and sweet. I won't give you the whole background of who I am or how I cope.

I just want to know how people cope with the mental battles with boxing? How do you handle the nerves? The overload of senses? The stress? Keeping focus and concentration with all the distractions?

Anything that consist of the mental aspect of boxing, how do you ground yourself?

The bell will ring, you will either fold or you will fight. Excellent preparation cures the demons of your mind. ……..Rockin'

Comment

Keep doing it. That's the best way to ease the nerves. When you start to feel a sense of control, your fear drops and nerves settle.

Comment

That's part of the game, remaining calm, relaxed and undeterred while in an uncomfortable situation. Also, like Redd says, the more you do it, the more relaxed you will become. You can practice relaxing between punches and your breathing as well, but there is no substitute for actually sparring or fighting.

Comment

Thanks! I think I was looking for such an elaborate excuse when ultimately it comes down to experience and confidence. Ugh, good thing I didn't ask my coach, he'd yell at me again since this is what he's always preaching to me from day one lol.

I need to stop rushing and just trust the process.

Keep doing it.

Comment

I felt in past fights that training hard gave me confidence even though I didn't have experience. Accept the fact that losing is a possibility going into it, train hard, if you have a gameplan practice it, and outside of that don't worry about it.
            Any time I think about an upcoming fight (which happens a lot in the lead up) I'll immediately dismiss the thought and decide mentally that I'm not going to think about it or rack my brain over it.

My last fight (my 4th amateur fight) was on 2 days notice coming off the couch and some injuries, as well as against someone that was 4-0. I definitely was a bit more nervous I felt in the lead up, although I slept fine and still decided not to dwell on it or overthink it. I definitely didn't feel as confident as usual, but I went in there and took care of business winning by unanimous decision.

I also worked on my mental a lot more before that fight. If you are going to dwell on anything then beat it into your brain that its going to be easy and that you're going to have fun. If you go into it thinking that its going to be hard, then it will feel harder. You also sort of hit your stride as you get more experience. So while I wasn't in as good of condition as my previous 3 fights, I was much more comfortable and at ease, which just comes with the experience.

First fight is the worst as far as nervous/adrenaline. Apparently your 3rd-5th fight is when it starts to become more natural. I think my next fight (5th) is going to be my best yet!

Comment

I must admit, my best training sessions are when I stop overthinking or overcompensating. I think my nerves come from a lot more than the average here, but inexperience and lack of confidence plays the greatest part, apparently for anyone who hasn't been in for years.

Thanks! Good luck on your next fight!

Comment

Originally posted by tcbender View Post
                If you are going to dwell on anything then beat it into your brain that its going to be easy and that you're going to have fun.
                Easy? That's exactly when you trip......Rockin'

Comment

Your nerves will settle down after the first punch is thrown. Unless you are Michael Spinks fighting Mike Tyson

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                    Easy? That's exactly when you trip......Rockin'
                    You can have the mindset that its going to be fun and easy and still be focused and not take it/your opponent lightly.

So much of our reality is our perception. If you're looking for a reason to get upset, its very likely that you'll find one or make one out of something that normally wouldn't upset you as much or at all.

Have a mindset that its hard is going to make it more difficult for you to feel comfortable and will probably increase anxious energy and drain your stamina more quickly, in my opinion and in my experience that was the case.

Comment

Working...
                    X