Collapse
No announcement yet.

So i just talked to a 97 year old who used to box professionally. He said back

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So i just talked to a 97 year old who used to box professionally. He said back

In the day, they used to have to make the weight limit a week before the fight and a day before the fight.

So if you're a 135 pound fighter. A week before the fight they had a weigh in. You had to be at 135. Then the day before the fight you also had to be in at 135.

Why have they stopped doing that?

I don't think they stopped doing it. I think they never did that at any time. I have read lots of books and articles about boxing in the distant past and never read about that. He is 96 so maybe his memory is not so good.

Comment

Sorry. I should have said he is 97 so maybe his memory is not so good. If he turned pro at age 21 he would been fighting pro from 1942 to maybe 1953. I never read anything about boxers of those times having to make weight a week before the fight. It just isn't true.

Comment

Boxers of those times weighed in once about 8 hours before the fight and their weigh in was over and done with. They did not have to make weight three different times.

Comment

You just got trolled by a 97 year old.

Comment

I thought of a possible solution [other than Alzheimer's].
            Maybe this guy's manager, wanting to avoid a last minute fiasco, told him he had to weigh that 1 week before the fight.
            and maybe he was never the brightest bulb and thought that was a rule for everybody, or his trainer or manager told him that.
            Last edited by johnbook; 12-25-2018, 03:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X