Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fights Where a Fighter Used the Wrong Strategy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

every single one of Rakhim 'the brow' Chakhkiev fights.

Comment

McGuigan fighting full pelt in the Texas heat against Stevie Cruz.

Comment

I thought Hagler beat Leonard but I think he could have won by a wider amount or even have won by KO if he had started much faster and attacked much harder, He should have gone after Leonard from the first round the way he went after Hearns. Give Leonard no time or room to think or breath. Leonard did not have the power to hurt Hagler. If Hearn's bombs couldn't slow Hagler down nothing from Leonard would. Instead he started slowly and boxed letting skilled quick Leonard win some rounds. He should have gone to war right from the start. He should have used his advantage in strength, punching power and ruggedness to the fullest. I think he would have done this in the rematch Leonard refused to give him.

Comment

Kostya Tszyu seemed altogether stunned vs Ricky Hatton by the bout being in the middle of the night, with a hostile crowd, and the ref largely letting Ricky fight his mauling fight. I don't know what he expected as Ricky was fond of saying, 'this ain't no tickling contest'.

Comment

De La Hoya mailing it in and running for the last four rounds versus Trinidad.

Comment

Mares in both Santa Cruz fights. You're not going to outwork LSC so idk why he kept trying to do that. I know Abner's an aggressive fighter, but he's got some skills and he could have sat on his punches and timed Leo coming in with some hard counter shots. He showed this against Ponce de Leon and Cuellar, both fights that many people thought he would lose.

Instead, he threw a bunch of weak arm punches trying to keep up the pace and fought Leo's fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Juicy J View Post
                Mares in both Santa Cruz fights. You're not going to outwork LSC so idk why he kept trying to do that. I know Abner's an aggressive fighter, but he's got some skills and he could have sat on his punches and timed Leo coming in with some hard counter shots. He showed this against Ponce de Leon and Cuellar, both fights that many people thought he would lose.

Instead, he threw a bunch of weak arm punches trying to keep up the pace and fought Leo's fight.
                Great observation. Pretty dumb to try to out-LSC LSC.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Trick-Pony View Post
                  Name fights where one fighter used the wrong strategy and paid for it.

Edwin Rodriguez went out to destroy Thomas Williams, Jr. in the early going of their fight and got crushed in the process, bowing a title shot.

Tommy Morrison hit Ray Mercer with huge shots early on but failed to pace himself and got caught, leading to one of the most brutal KO losses in boxing history.

Sugar Ray Leonard chose to fight Roberto Duran toe-to-toe in their first bout, thinking he could run over him since he was the bigger man. However, things didn't work out that way at all.
                  Hagler I thought figured he could outbox Leonard. He stepped it up too late and it cost him.He almost did the same thing against Duran.

Comment

Gatti Against Floyd

Comment

Morrison vs Mercer.

Comment

Working...
                      X