Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roberto Duran is overrated

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This guy Kev183 had to be related to Flawless and Horus to make such a controversial thread.

See these kinds of threads get you fame and hits even if it's negative.

jajajajjajja!!!!!111!!!!!

Comment

• I think I made a thread about this a year ago and its a popular topic, that in itself, more than any great boxer shows that there is a lot to be questioned about Duran and his career. IMO, Duran is overrated. No, he isn't a bum and he should still be classified as a top 25 fighter of all time due to his run in the lightweights but if you look at a lot of the all time greats outside of heavies they were able to move up weight and still be dominant. Yes, I know that was a golden era of the sport and Leonard, Hearns, and Hagler right now would possibly be the best fighters of this era but we aren't here to judge eras, that's another debate.

Although, like I said his lightweight resume is amazing and possibly the greatest on paper but if you look deeper into it, it isn't as great as its made out to be. Duran was a big lightweight, thick bodied and IMO it helped him a lot. I read a few books including one by Dundee who really zoned in on Duran and what he was doing in the lightweight division before moving up to face Leonard. Duran made a living in the lightweights beating on smaller men and men that really wern't world class.

I know we can nit pick to death any fighter but Duran wasn't as great as he was made out to be and I would never consider putting him in the top 10. Great fighter but he is overrated.
      Last edited by Check; 10-08-2009, 07:11 PM.

Comment

• From a poster on another forum:

Duran was one of the most skilled fighters of all-time, and his achievements make him a top 10 ATG.

The man had two careers.

One where he was one of the best, if not the best, lightweight champion ever - losing only once in over 70 fights against the best that division had to offer (and that defeat was twice avenged). A dominant and brilliant champion.

The second was a career he had no right to have. Between the ages of 30 and 40, this former lightweight went to war the very best fighters from welter to middle. Yes, sometimes he lost badly (Leonard II, Hearns, Benitez, Laing), but it cannot be forgotten that Duran was always the smaller, older, lighter, slower, weaker man in the ring. He produced some incredible performances too (Leonard I, Hagler, Cuevas, Moore, Barkley), and showed that even when completely physically outgunned, use of sheer applied boxing skills and a whole lot of grit and heart can make the difference.

His achievement in winning the middleweight title 17 years after the lightweight title is a milestone that will stand up to almost any other achievement in boxing history, and will be a lasting legacy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Levcon8686 View Post
          From a poster on another forum:

Duran was one of the most skilled fighters of all-time, and his achievements make him a top 10 ATG.

The man had two careers.

One where he was one of the best, if not the best, lightweight champion ever - losing only once in over 70 fights against the best that division had to offer (and that defeat was twice avenged). A dominant and brilliant champion.

The second was a career he had no right to have. Between the ages of 30 and 40, this former lightweight went to war the very best fighters from welter to middle. Yes, sometimes he lost badly (Leonard II, Hearns, Benitez, Laing), but it cannot be forgotten that Duran was always the smaller, older, lighter, slower, weaker man in the ring. He produced some incredible performances too (Leonard I, Hagler, Cuevas, Moore, Barkley), and showed that even when completely physically outgunned, use of sheer applied boxing skills and a whole lot of grit and heart can make the difference.

His achievement in winning the middleweight title 17 years after the lightweight title is a milestone that will stand up to almost any other achievement in boxing history, and will be a lasting legacy.
          Good post but once again we are debating the very best fighter of all time. You can not be a top P4P fighter of all time only dominating one division IMO. You must strive to be better and fight outside of your natural weight and Duran wasn't able to continue that greatness. Like you said he was the smaller and weaker man in the rings versus those guys the same holds true against most of Durans opponents in the lightweight division.

Comment

• Originally posted by Check View Post
            Good post but once again we are debating the very best fighter of all time. You can not be a top P4P fighter of all time only dominating one division IMO. You must strive to be better and fight outside of your natural weight and Duran wasn't able to continue that greatness. Like you said he was the smaller and weaker man in the rings versus those guys the same holds true against most of Durans opponents in the lightweight division.
            Nope. We are being told Roberto Duran 'sucks' and was a 'bum', according to the thread starter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Levcon8686 View Post
              Nope. We are being told Roberto Duran 'sucks' and was a 'bum', according to the thread starter.
              Thread stater probably never seen the guy fight. I think a true debate is whether you think Duran is top 10 P4P all time or not. I didn't read his post but now I'm glad I didn't.

Comment

• no one that can hit a speedbag with their head is over rated.

Comment

• I remember this thread. This **** here spawned a legend.

Comment

• Originally posted by kev183 View Post
                    Again. The hypocrisy. Bringing up belts and statistics when guys like Mayweather, Jones Jr, Hopkins are ****ted on for not fighting anybody and the belts and stats mean nothing. But it's Duran now so it means everything. WHO HAD DURAN BEAT???????????/ **** STATS AND BELTS AND WEIGHT CLASSES..WHO THE F HAS DURAN BEAT??????????/ WHO HAS NOT BEATEN DURAN..THIS N!GGA LOST TO VINNY PAZIENZA.

this quote started a revolution

Comment

• Originally posted by Makavelli View Post
                      this quote started a revolution
                      That's wasup Mak. When you think nonsense...think Paz my ******.

Comment

Working...
                      X