Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why doesn't any gyms teach the classical orthodox stance anymore?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why doesn't any gyms teach the classical orthodox stance anymore?

+Head off the center line
    +Left arm basically serves as a shield to fight behind
    +No real line of attack
    +/-Right hand protects the chin
    -Open to left hooks
    +/-May generate less power?

Modern Stance

+Generates most power
    +Entire body coverage by high guard
    +/- More reactionary defense required to block specific spots?
    +/- Invites opponents into personal space with no left arm to shield
    -Body/Head alignment is more centered

I can't see how the first one fell out of fashion. You're more open to left hooks but you'll have a hell of a time getting past the left arm. Your head is already to the side so you're already in a defensive posture. With the other you can contort your body to get the most power, but everything is straighter and more inviting for them to counter attack.

I've wondered this myself but tbh it's much easier to learn the modern stance than old school

Comment

I think every stance should be taught to kids and go with what works best for them but it lets them be more versatile when they need to be. If it's a kid with a lot of potential then let the kid shadowbox after teaching all of the stances to see what he naturally goes to and focus on that.

Comment

Another thing I'd say is that I'm a southpaw so it's something I think coaches would discourage me from doing since we'd be more open to jabs. But I've been thing of trying it

Comment

There's a time and a place. It all depends who you're fighting. Wouldn't be bad to try during sparring but mainly focus on head movement so if you do use it in a fight you are giving up the guard but still have your movement to elude the jab/hook.

Comment

Originally posted by PitbullParsons View Post
            I think every stance should be taught to kids and go with what works best for them but it lets them be more versatile when they need to be. If it's a kid with a lot of potential then let the kid shadowbox after teaching all of the stances to see what he naturally goes to and focus on that.
            yesssss have all the tools u need

Comment

There aren't many trainers around anymore who can teach it. A lot of the old school American boxing knowledge is going to die out because of that.

Comment

Working...
              X