Are all modern fighters bigger?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elroy1 View Post
    Oh WELL DONE buddy!

You basically select one of the most ripped competitors of the 80's and compare them to a slightly chubby competitor of the 00's and simply declare that a representative example.

Let's now look at the absolute facts...

1. Athletes get better and better from generation to generation because of more evolved training modes, greater talent pool and so on on average and the most athletic heavies today are more athletic than ANY boxer of the 80's.

2. Your logic regarding chubbiness as an indicator of conditioning is false because you can be exceptionally conditioned whilst maintaining chub and you can be out of condition whilst looking ripped.

3. Your logic is even further contrived by the fact that heavyweight boxing follows a different law for what constitutes the optimal bodytype from limit weight boxers who definitely do need to be ripped. Investigation leads to the conclusion that the optimal bodyweight for a HW may actually be slightly chubby!! And this is exactly why HW is and always has been about half/half ripped to chubby boxers, because that's what the sieve of competition shows us.

4. There are just as many fat boxers in any era. The only difference now is that they are heavier in both muscle and fat!

And to illustrate using your logic...

David Haye

http://topnews.in/sports/files/david-haye_2.jpg

Tony Tubbs (on right)

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/4HxkowX-w4c/hqdefault.jpg

Case closed!
    Athletes get better yes. But heavyweight boxers of today aren't athletes. They have been useless bums with no training just wanting to make a payday. Many of them couldn't last 4 rounds on their own nevermind against someone else, if their life depended on it!

Luckily that's starting to change.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
      Athletes get better yes. But heavyweight boxers of today aren't athletes. They have been useless bums with no training just wanting to make a payday. Many of them couldn't last 4 rounds on their own nevermind against someone else, if their life depended on it!

Luckily that's starting to change.
      Sure buddy, simply a quick look at boxrec reveals that the heavies today go 12 rounds often.

Moreover ANY boxer can go any number of rounds, the only thing that matters is the opponents.

The typical nostolgist refers to punch output totally disregarding the punch power and explosiveness and weight and even does so often without the actual punch stats to defend with anyway.

But a stronger boxer can push te pace on a weaker one and a heftier boxer can sap the stamina of a smaller one which also works the other way.

So let's handwave your silly hypothesis up there and reveal the real inference...

The current and recent eras are the first and only eras that have ever featured superheavy and chubby boxers that ARE exceptionally well trained!!

For example, prior to the 1980's and 90's, try to find any CHUBBY boxer that is as well trained or as conditioned as Chris Arreola??? Apples to apples mate

Comment

Sure buddy, simply a quick look at boxrec reveals that the heavies today go 12 rounds often.

Moreover ANY boxer can go any number of rounds, the only thing that matters is the opponents.

The typical nostolgist refers to punch output totally disregarding the punch power and explosiveness and weight and even does so often without the actual punch stats to defend with anyway.

But a stronger boxer can push te pace on a weaker one and a heftier boxer can sap the stamina of a smaller one which also works the other way.

So let's handwave your silly hypothesis up there and reveal the real inference...

The current and recent eras are the first and only eras that have ever featured superheavy and chubby boxers that ARE exceptionally well trained!!

For example, prior to the 1980's and 90's, try to find any CHUBBY boxer that is as well trained or as conditioned as Chris Arreola??? Apples to apples mate
        Chris Arreola? The guy that just drew vs Fred Kassi and looked like absolute dogshyte?

Point is, not many would be that chubby in the best eras, because that was what made those eras the best.

That the fighters were actually training.

Comment

For a guy like Toney yes, bt not for the heavyweights. You who do not even know how a feakin heavy bag works can hardly point out specifically in a technical level how Aereola is "well trained." I have never heard you even make a reference to technical details because you don't know any better...and I am not saying one has to box to be aware of these thngs cause I am not, nor have I ever been a boxer, my field is martial arts, or when my wife attacks me maritial arts hehe.

Elroy I actually pmed you and asked you a basis for your stupid BS...thinking that maybe you were a misguided thinker, or maybe I was wrong and you saw something? I am very open minded...I keep my brains such that they almost tip out of my skull junior. I even know, as I told you, guys who were brilliant contrarians!! including a guy who got treated like you in the gym but was in fact years ahead. I listened...this guy taught me about how nautilus really works.

BUT YOU PRESENT NOTHING! then you use the word fact...To an intelligent human being your use of this word is sacrosanct. I challenge you to present details...like Barry Robinson for example, a guy who breaks down fights (whether one agrees or not) for how Chris nipple bot COULD POSSIBLY BE CONSIDERED A SKILLED HEAVYWEIGHT!!!! If not stop using the word fact.

Comment

Because carrying rolls of fat into a fight was unthinkable of for most, back in the day. If you were an athlete, you looked like an athlete.

But to answer your question anyway: Buster Mathis.
            Last edited by Pugilist_Spec; 10-19-2015, 08:31 AM.

Comment

I assure anyone that elroid knows NOTHING about boxing techniques, methodology or training! He knows height and isn't really sure about weight and I think he knows shoe size. Other than that he knows SQUAT about boxing. FACT!
              He is a typical fanboy who degrades boxers to try and lift his own favorites above their actual skill level, FACT!

He is tolerated here because the mods know he generates posts from people who can't reach him to knock him out so they post to put the boy in his place.

Thats it, everyone can tell he knows NOTHING about the sport but he does know how to anger people and the FACT that forums are suffering more and more as other means of social media grows the mods allow him his space!

To reference Arreola in any other light than journeyman fighter tells everyone what a boob this kid is! He is a Wlad fanboy at its worst..:*******:!

ok enough wasted time on elroid or tool boy or who ever he is this month.
              Ray

Comment

Keep in mind that drug testing evolved as well.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
                  Chris Arreola? The guy that just drew vs Fred Kassi and looked like absolute dogshyte?

Point is, not many would be that chubby in the best eras, because that was what made those eras the best.

That the fighters were actually training.
                  - Prior to the 80's there were far fewer truly ripped HW's because there were much poorer modes of training and nutrition. Most all of the cnsiderably athletic boxers of those times were a kind of rather unhealthy bodytype known as "skinny-fat" where they retain an emergency layer of chub and catabolise their muscles away.

- There were the same proportion of chubby to athletic boxers in all eras when analysed.

- The most strongest objetion to your silly argument is that today the champs are lean and 6 packed and SOME of their opponents are fat- in the past however, the champions THEMSELVES were very often fat!

- In terms of how fat todays fat boxers are by comparison there is a strong tendancy to over blow how fat todays boxers are. Curiously, any boxer who doesn't have the most prominent 6 pack today may be considerd fat ignoring the fact that some of their old favourites never really had one either. And then you can always find examples of truly obese boxers such as Buster MAthis who you will struggle to find any boxer as out-of shape as today or Tony Galento.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                    For a guy like Toney yes, bt not for the heavyweights. You who do not even know how a feakin heavy bag works can hardly point out specifically in a technical level how Aereola is "well trained." I have never heard you even make a reference to technical details because you don't know any better...and I am not saying one has to box to be aware of these thngs cause I am not, nor have I ever been a boxer, my field is martial arts, or when my wife attacks me maritial arts hehe.

Elroy I actually pmed you and asked you a basis for your stupid BS...thinking that maybe you were a misguided thinker, or maybe I was wrong and you saw something? I am very open minded...I keep my brains such that they almost tip out of my skull junior. I even know, as I told you, guys who were brilliant contrarians!! including a guy who got treated like you in the gym but was in fact years ahead. I listened...this guy taught me about how nautilus really works.

BUT YOU PRESENT NOTHING! then you use the word fact...To an intelligent human being your use of this word is sacrosanct. I challenge you to present details...like Barry Robinson for example, a guy who breaks down fights (whether one agrees or not) for how Chris nipple bot COULD POSSIBLY BE CONSIDERED A SKILLED HEAVYWEIGHT!!!! If not stop using the word fact.
                    Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                    I assure anyone that elroid knows NOTHING about boxing techniques, methodology or training! He knows height and isn't really sure about weight and I think he knows shoe size. Other than that he knows SQUAT about boxing. FACT!
                    He is a typical fanboy who degrades boxers to try and lift his own favorites above their actual skill level, FACT!

He is tolerated here because the mods know he generates posts from people who can't reach him to knock him out so they post to put the boy in his place.

Thats it, everyone can tell he knows NOTHING about the sport but he does know how to anger people and the FACT that forums are suffering more and more as other means of social media grows the mods allow him his space!

To reference Arreola in any other light than journeyman fighter tells everyone what a boob this kid is! He is a Wlad fanboy at its worst..:*******:!

ok enough wasted time on elroid or tool boy or who ever he is this month.
                    Ray
                    Arreola is a multiple title challenger and only ever lost to top boxers, that has never been journeyman.

The rest of the arguments from both guys here is completely handwavable.

Comment

Arreola is a multiple title challenger and only ever lost to top boxers, that has never been journeyman.

The rest of the arguments from both guys here is completely handwavable.
                      Arreola lost every time he stepped up. He lost to Vitali, Adamek, and Stiverne twice.

Comment

Working...
                      X