No announcement yet.

Most Exciting Larry Holmes Fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
    Sadly, the Larry Holmes of 1991/92 would have surely done much better against Tyson; his 1990s comeback was much more sensible. He had tune up bouts and was very active before facing Mercer.

In 1988 he didn't have long for a training camp and had no tune up bouts. He looked nowhere near as good as he had for Spinks 2.
    Yeah, I think don king offered him 4 million to fight mike in 4 weeks,,, there was no time to prepare, but Larry to his credit, didn't use that as excuse to get out of the fight.. In today's game, if someone was offered the wlad fight in 4 weeks, none of the top contenders would take the fight, they would all use the short time as an excuse,, except for James toney, he is the only guy that will literally fight anybody, anytime,,, not exactly a top contender anymore but he is the only guy I would see to take a short notice wlad fight

Comment

Lmao. His battle with the word technical...

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
        Yeah, I think don king offered him 4 million to fight mike in 4 weeks,,, there was no time to prepare, but Larry to his credit, didn't use that as excuse to get out of the fight.. In today's game, if someone was offered the wlad fight in 4 weeks, none of the top contenders would take the fight, they would all use the short time as an excuse,, except for James toney, he is the only guy that will literally fight anybody, anytime,,, not exactly a top contender anymore but he is the only guy I would see to take a short notice wlad fight
        Holmes hadn't fought in 3 years. I always crack up about how he describes it

King: Larry, I want you to face Mike Tyson

LH: You kidding Don? No way in hell I can beat Mike Tyson right now

King: I'll give you 4 million dollars

LH Deal

I remember emailing Larry 10 years ago and asked him if he would have retired if he reached 50-0. His answer was no, he would keep fighting if the money was right.

So yeah, he took a payday. His 90's comeback, he actually was in it to win.

Comment

Originally posted by Panthershock View Post
          Holmes hadn't fought in 3 years. I always crack up about how he describes it

King: Larry, I want you to face Mike Tyson

LH: You kidding Don? No way in hell I can beat Mike Tyson right now

King: I'll give you 4 million dollars

LH Deal

I remember emailing Larry 10 years ago and asked him if he would have retired if he reached 50-0. His answer was no, he would keep fighting if the money was right.

So yeah, he took a payday. His 90's comeback, he actually was in it to win.
          That was funny. And very easy to believe.

Comment

This is what Larry said going into the Tyson fight

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...6942/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
              Sadly, the Larry Holmes of 1991/92 would have surely done much better against Tyson; his 1990s comeback was much more sensible. He had tune up bouts and was very active before facing Mercer.

In 1988 he didn't have long for a training camp and had no tune up bouts. He looked nowhere near as good as he had for Spinks 2.
              I agree. its a shame he didnt have a at least a few tune up fights to get acclimated again before facing a beast like tyson. Id have picked a prime holmes over tyson any day of the week

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post
                As a regular Larry Holmes-follower during his early career until the mid 1980s, I'd say he reached his peak knocking out Gerry Cooney.

But his greatest moment, in my mind, was regaining his feet during the 2nd Earnie Shavers-fight.
                I still believe, no other boxer in history would have managed to retrieve from such a devastating punch and become triumphant.

"The hardest one-punch blow ever landed that didn't lead to victory."
                yea,,,,I still cant believe he survived that. it was such a flush shot and he was totally out when it landed. he had amazing recuperative powers

Comment

Shame it wasn't in his prime, Holmes would've been schooling Mike. That's from a General who likes Tyson.

Comment

Holmes-Norton was voted in the top ten fights of all time.
                    Last edited by lazy; 05-18-2014, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lazy View Post
                      Ali-Norton was voted in the top ten fights of all time.
                      Ali-Norton in the top 10?

Did the voters only watch 11 pro fights?

Comment

Working...
                      X