Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When/Why did Boxing stop being about proving who is really the Best?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

probably when mayweather said boxings not about "working hard"
    but yells "hard work" at his gym
    kinda confusing?
    try giving that, "boxings not about hard work" speech at your hall of fame inductee ceremony. lol

Comment

I respect everyone's opinion but I really cant see how one guy shaped the whole boxing culture to what it is today. I really cant put my finger on it, but over the years it feels like it has been degenerating to the point it is now. Not that boxing as a business was ever perfect and granted is a natural response to idealize "The good old days" but the b/s I see in boxing today is not something that has always been present anywhere near to this extent.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
        Right around the time fans started campaigning for the fighters making business choices and battling each other about which fighter makes the most money. And who sells more ppv and where the (next) ppv star will come from and why it's ok to duck because said fighter poses too much risk but not enough reward.
        Knocked it out if the park !!! Same goes for most forms of media/entertainment.. Movies, music (rap especially), news , etc ...

Comment

It was happening long before Mayweather, Floyd is just the most vocal about it.
          I remember right after his second loss to Mosley Oscar De La Hoya doing a press conference saying he was done taking the fights that fans were demanding. He said he was the cash cow in boxing and he was going to get paid no matter who he fights and that anyone that wants a shot will come to his terms otherwise he will take the fights that he wants to make.

Comment

If a fighter puts legacy first and dosen't put money first. Marquez choose bradley for less money then he was offered for a fifth pac fight. Cotto seems to be going for the lesser money option in Martinez. Provodnikov also dosen't seem to fight primarly for money. Roy is another fighter who seems to fight on for his own reasons even when it dosen't make sense. Most of theese guys are financially secure so they don't need to worry about money and can keep fighting for other reasons like pride, legacy love of fighting or whatever. Some simply can't walk away it's their lifestyle to punch and get punched in the head. The up and comers will generally jump at every chance they get it's the big money fighters that needs to be made to fight each other.

Promoters will always be money first, they are the business part of the equation but if the fighters demand the fights they want promoters can't force them into another fight if they are stubborn enough (marquez and arum).

Guys like Glen Johnson fought anyone anywhere even when he was robbed several times he continued to travel and take on anyone and he is still doing it. Fans need to acknowledge and reward guys like Glen Johnson and stop defending fighters who don't do their best to create the best fights. If fighters and fans demand it promoters will have to provide it and will make money doing so.
            Last edited by Ivansmamma; 12-20-2013, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Fans have this idea that it's a heroic, gladatorial war. For the guy who does it full time, it's a job. Stop thinking of them as super heroes and you'll be less disappointed.

Comment

When? I couldn't tell ya. Why? Greed.

Comment

When its popularity declined to where its the 10th popular sport in the US. Network TV dropped the sport completely, there are less stars, less money and smaller crowds. With less hardcore fans comes less understanding of the sport. Boxing gyms across the country are closing and turning into full service fitness centers.

Your average fan doesn't know what they are watching. Sad but true.

Comment

Take it from Floyd, doe. Boxing is business.
                    Easy fight, easy money. Hm... It's also about health.

Comment

As soon as this PAC vs floyd fanboy drama **** started.

Comment

Working...
                      X