Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Keith Thurman Gets Split Decision Over Danny Garcia To Unify

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
    He was way ahead, he coasted the last 4. Birmingham was telling him he was going home with the titles at the end of Round 9.

He wasn't wrong.
    Yeah like I said, it looked like he won most of the rounds in the beginning, but I pretty much missed the last 4 rounds because of my stupid co workers bothering me. Like ****, I'm watching boxing. Don't talk to me. Boxing comes before my job. I don't give a fu*k.

Comment

• Great fight! that's what u got when u got top fighters against top.

Some nice exchanges, very calculated pace on the ring, some tricky things in there, liked the fight.

Thurman is now a top 3 WW, Danny has to be a top 5, the dude definitely has a chin and has power, I honestly thought Garcia was gonna win but Thurman did it.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheWinners View Post
        Nothing different than what I expected. Yeah so funny when he heard Jimmy Lennon proclaim the new wba wbc champ and Danny automatically assumed it was him. I wasn't fooled at all lol. They will cry and complain Keith was running and they thought they won but that hype job is over.
        Ha ya poor Danny jumped the gun because Thurman was the WBA champ and the way Lennon Jr announced it he said "and now the WBA and WBC unified" so as soon as Danny heard "and now WBA" he assumed it was him that won. Danny has never appeared to be the brightest star under the Sun. Just a really tough one. Fought well but Thurman easy 7 - 5 or 8 - 4.

And I called the split decision all the way. Was chatting to my lady fight friend during the fight and was telling her they will prolly give Danny a card and send it to split decesion. Also called it 7 - 5 or 8 - 4 for One Time.

Comment

• Flew up from TN to take this one in, and don't feel cheated at all. Very solid fight. Got the result I expected and wanted. Don't know which fight the rest of the arena was watching. I thought Keith won pretty comfortably.

As for how the result changes the welterweight landscape, it really doesn't. IMO Brook and Thurman are the top guys in the division. I would rate Manny above both of them, but at this point, its hard to gage Manny's interest in the sport. To me he's kinda moonlighting and milking his fanbase for every penny he can until he genuinely retires from the sport. I think Brook and Thurman are kinda 1a and 1b, or 2a or 2b depending on how you view Manny. Thurman's resume is a lil better than Brook's. But, Brook was more impressive against Porter. Honestly, at this point, it doesn't really matter how you rate them. Thurman against the Brook-Spence winner is the obvious next step.

As for Danny, I never considered him a top welterweight to begin with. And last night did nothing but cement it. He doesn't have a single significant or relevant win at 47. And he was fighting last night for a shot at welterweight relevance, and fell short. He's a good, but not great fighter. I think Broner would be a good next opponent for him. He has a couple potential rematches with Khan or Peterson that would be interesting. But, I think Broner probably generates the most interest. If he's serious about trying to establish himself as a player in the division, Porter would be the perfect opponent after Shawn is done beating up Berto. But I doubt Angel would sign off on that. That would be an entertaining prefight buildup with the dads though.

Comment

• In round 4 after tasting Swift's power Thurman made a career decision to only engage enough to win rounds and he completely abandoned the thought of getting KO or even giving fans a good show.

Comment

• On the contrary, once Thurman gets a taste of Spence's powerful body shots he will disengage similar to what he did against Swift after round 4. No need to see another track meet.

Comment

• Originally posted by JakeTheBoxer View Post
                I just hate this word EXPOSED. Danny lost fight by SD, and now was he exposed???

I am not his fan, but cīmon, be fair, you guys expect fighters to take challenge, but once they lose you say they were EXPOSED...??
                Danny has been unofficially exposed on two other occassions: herera and Peterson . The judges just got it right this time.

Garcia's deal with the devil is over.

Comment

• Originally posted by right_uppercut View Post
                  In round 4 after tasting Swift's power Thurman made a career decision to only engage enough to win rounds and he completely abandoned the thought of getting KO or even giving fans a good show.
                  I agree with that. The first round Thurman really went after Garcia and almost had him down. As the rounds went on, it looked like Thurman really had a lot of respect for Garcia's power, especially his left hook. He did a good job avoiding it, and you can tell it was a big part of his gameplan. He really did just enough to win the rounds, much like Floyd did against Pac. He would land one or two significant punches that would win that round and he was satisfied with that.

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                    Part of the narrative when it comes to Garcia. There will no doubt be some posters in here who will only give him 3-4 rounds for this fight. When it comes to Garcia, common sense goes out the window.
                    You mean when a Danny fan is salty, common sense goes out the window.

You seriously don't think this fight deserved to be a split decision, do you?

Comment

• Originally posted by right_uppercut View Post
                      In round 4 after tasting Swift's power Thurman made a career decision to only engage enough to win rounds and he completely abandoned the thought of getting KO or even giving fans a good show.
                      I don't think Thurman's adjustment had anything to do with Danny's power. It was obvious from the opening bell that Danny's sole focus was on landing a counter lefthook. So Thurman basically took that away from him by circling to Danny's right. And that basically made a fight that he was already winning even easier. Danny was totally clueless and basically was reduced to following Keith around the not throwing punches, allowing Keith to outhustle him. I think the adjustment Keith made had more to do with him hitting Danny with bombs in the first two rounds, and barely making a dent. So he opted to rack up points, stay outta harm's way, and get the W.

Comment

Working...
                      X