Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has there ever been an Eastern European fighter who was a big star in the US?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's hard for Americans to identify with eastern european robots trying to go to war.

I will say for as crazy as Golota was he could put 20k people in an arena like nothing.

Comment

So the answer is pretty much no? I mean none of these guys have been ppv stars

Comment

Most of them are in tennis, men and women.

Comment

That's true some have been dominant sharapova was a huge star globally right?

Comment

GGG will be if he beats Canelo

Comment

Originally posted by Juicy J View Post
              GGG will be if he beats Canelo
              GGG has been a very good fighter and would be the obvious choice but despite incredible knockouts and being entertaining he can't draw his ppv fights so far have drawn terribly

Comment

Yea I think the first guy hit it right off with GGG + Golota in recent times & idk that I'd call either a legit star. I'd certainly be hard pressed to think of anyone bigger in the last couple decades doe.

I think in general its hard for a foreigner to become popular in the US & few ever reach the popularity their skill & entertainment value should have gotten them to (imo).

Comment

Going way back you could bring up Kid Kaplan.

Comment

Back in the early 1990's, there was a light heavyweight who was really popular on the east coast of america called? Arkady Popov.

There is not much video footage of him, because i think a Russian media company has the copy rights to all of is fights (Roy Jones Junior mentioned him as one of the most talented fighters he had ever sparred with! He mysteriously disappeared in the summer of 1991, back into Russia for unknown reasons...
                    Last edited by PRINCEKOOL; 08-09-2017, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nubianpiye View Post
                      So the answer is pretty much no? I mean none of these guys have been ppv stars

klitschko vs lewis 2 would have been an enormous ppv, and vitali would have been a big part of the draw for that.

Comment

Working...
                      X