No announcement yet.

Urban Renewal: Pacquaio vs De La Hoya

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urban Renewal: Pacquaio vs De La Hoya

https://imgur.com/gallery/WX7C2qA My breakdown on one of boxing's true passing of the torch moments. Enjoy.

I have never heard the term "tripwire counter." Where did you get it from?

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
      I have never heard the term "tripwire counter." Where did you get it from?
      Multiple analysts and coaches. Why what do you call that?

Comment

Originally posted by escudo View Post
        Multiple analysts and coaches. Why what do you call that?
        Can you name some of the analysts and coaches, or point me to a source?

I've heard it called other things. Parry and counter, block and counter, catch and shoot, etc.

Comment

Can you name some of the analysts and coaches, or point me to a source?

I've heard it called other things. Parry and counter, block and counter, catch and shoot, etc.
          Did we ever get that source?

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
            Did we ever get that source?
            Nope.

I wasn't trying to give him a hard time about making up terms...I was genuinely wondering if he had got it from somewhere.

Comment

Oscar in his prime would have battered manny

Comment

Nope.

I wasn't trying to give him a hard time about making up terms...I was genuinely wondering if he had got it from somewhere.
                **** man sorry, Just finished a new article and remembered this thread. My striking coach at Clinch MMA called them this, I also heard another boxing/MMA analyst Connor Ruebusch call them this or something very similar. It just always stuck in my head as "Tripwire counter" because the visual of just felt right and it's what I know that technique as.

That said I have also heard multiple names for the same technique.

Comment

**** man sorry, Just finished a new article and remembered this thread. My striking coach at Clinch MMA called them this, I also heard another boxing/MMA analyst Connor Ruebusch call them this or something very similar. It just always stuck in my head as "Tripwire counter" because the visual of just felt right and it's what I know that technique as.

"The sensation of a blocked punch can serve as a sort of tripwire: when you feel an impact on your guard, you instantly know that the opponent has exposed his own chin by attacking, and on which side. You know also that he is close enough to hit you, which means he is close enough to be countered. As such, counter fighters--from Marlon Starling, to Winky Wright, to Manny Pacquiao--specialize in what I call "trigger" counters: catch a punch on the glove, and immediately counter on the same side."

Full article here https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/3/2...ique-gif-guard

Comment

Yeah, I suspected that this came from the MMA world. I've never heard it in boxing.

Comment

Working...
                    X