No announcement yet.

Knowing when I'm fight ready

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knowing when I'm fight ready

I feel like I need to do a lot more sparring and include lots of defensive drills in my training. I have done boxing properly from November 2018 but started in November 2017 as a hobby and went on and off until April 2018. Then I didn't do it until October/November last year.

I have improved massively and I am looking to fight for charity as this is probably the best way to get my first bout out of the way.

I train most days. I am looking to fight before or in 2020. I'm 19 in April.

Any tips or advice going forward would be much appreciated. Thanks so much.

P.S. I can message you a link to a video of me hitting the heavy bag to give you an idea of where I'm at.
    Last edited by DugzBoxing; 02-23-2019, 09:19 AM.

Originally posted by DugzBoxing View Post
    I feel like I need to do a lot more sparring and include lots of defensive drills in my training. I have done boxing properly from November 2018 but started in November 2017 as a hobby and went on and off until April 2018. Then I didn't do it until October/November last year.

I have improved massively and I am looking to fight for charity as this is probably the best way to get my first bout out of the way.

I train most days. I am looking to fight before or in 2020. I'm 19 in April.

Any tips or advice going forward would be much appreciated. Thanks so much.

P.S. I can message you a link to a video of me hitting the heavy bag to give you an idea of where I'm at.
    Do you like to spar? Did you like your first time sparring? Would you care if you lost or took a bit of a beating?

If you like to spar, loved your first time sparring, don't care about taking a few punches and if you don't care about losing your first match then I recommend fighting sooner rather than later.

My first fight was wild. Fought a dude 10lbs heavier from the weightclass up and ended up losing, but was an amazing experience. I loved every minute of it. There was nothing else like it, and while I wish I had that one back (as I think I could've beat him) you can't prepare yourself for the adrenaline and nerves of that first fight.
    My second fight I was sick, but went out there and got the W. Felt much more calm and other than not having as much gas or strength in my legs due to the sickness was another amazing experience. I honestly felt about the same winning as I did losing.

The first few fights in amateurs don't really matter or count, just best to get that experience. So as long as you aren't going to get discouraged and give up if you lose then get in there asap!

Comment

Originally posted by tcbender View Post
      Do you like to spar? Did you like your first time sparring? Would you care if you lost or took a bit of a beating?

If you like to spar, loved your first time sparring, don't care about taking a few punches and if you don't care about losing your first match then I recommend fighting sooner rather than later.

My first fight was wild. Fought a dude 10lbs heavier from the weightclass up and ended up losing, but was an amazing experience. I loved every minute of it. There was nothing else like it, and while I wish I had that one back (as I think I could've beat him) you can't prepare yourself for the adrenaline and nerves of that first fight.
      My second fight I was sick, but went out there and got the W. Felt much more calm and other than not having as much gas or strength in my legs due to the sickness was another amazing experience. I honestly felt about the same winning as I did losing.

The first few fights in amateurs don't really matter or count, just best to get that experience. So as long as you aren't going to get discouraged and give up if you lose then get in there asap!
      I wouldn't feel discouraged, I absolutely love boxing and the idea of fighting and training. It feels great.

I saw your fight on YouTube the other day so I definitely trust your tips. Thanks for the advice man!

Comment

Originally posted by DugzBoxing View Post
        I wouldn't feel discouraged, I absolutely love boxing and the idea of fighting and training. It feels great.

I saw your fight on YouTube the other day so I definitely trust your tips. Thanks for the advice man!
        Yeah man then I'd say get in there.

You want to feel comfortable and confident of course, but you feel that way through training hard and through sparring.

Start adding in some extra drills for defense and start sparring a bit more, and after a couple months of hard training start looking at some events you could fight in.

Off to the boxing gym myself. Best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by tcbender View Post
          Yeah man then I'd say get in there.

You want to feel comfortable and confident of course, but you feel that way through training hard and through sparring.

Start adding in some extra drills for defense and start sparring a bit more, and after a couple months of hard training start looking at some events you could fight in.

Off to the boxing gym myself. Best of luck!
          ^^^^^^^^^ this.

Comment

Working...
          X