Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Arturo Gatti Heads Class of 2013 Hall Of Fame Inductees

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone explain to me please why ring announcers and journalists and cartoonists are making the boxing hall of fame ballot? It really grinds my gears when a ring announcer or a cartoonist could make the hall of fame when they never had to face a man throwing a punch at them.

Comment

Originally posted by anonymous2.0 View Post
      Can someone explain to me please why ring announcers and journalists and cartoonists are making the boxing hall of fame ballot? It really grinds my gears when a ring announcer or a cartoonist could make the hall of fame when they never had to face a man throwing a punch at them.
      They are not taking up fighters spots, there's a special section for non combatants. It's like Nobel prizes for peace and physics, you resent the peace guys?

Comment

I was a huge fan of Gatti's but I don't think that he rates as a Hall of Famer. I also don't understand the fans that have a problem with non fighters in the hall. Cooperstown does it Canton does it so why not the Boxing Hall of Fame?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Philadel View Post
          if I could vote..Gatti would get my vote...he's HOF worthy!!...don't care about how many fights he lost or titles he won....dude fought his ass off...he defines how a warrior should behave in the ring....I can't explain it because words can't describe what "Thunder" brung to the table....real Rocky movie fights....real ones....with real punches, real blood, and real drama....he belongs in with the GREATS...noone can deny how GREAT he was for the sport...YES to Gatti!!!
          So Emanuel Augustus should get in based on your comment.

Originally posted by PBP View Post
          Stallone's biggest contribution was his series of Rocky movies. Gatti contributed four Ring Magazine fights of the year. He attracted fans to the sport and drew good ratings for HBO.

I agree that he was an average fighter and does not have a HOF resume. But if writers, promoters and actors can get in because of their contributions to the sport, why can't fighters themselves?
          Also he contributed with the series The Contender.

Sylvester Stallone opened the flood gates for anyone so I have no problem with Gatti getting in.
          Different categories
          Last edited by oc9979; 12-10-2012, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeNDaBox View Post
            CANASTOTA, NY - DECEMBER 10, 2012 - The International Boxing Hall of Fame and Museum announced today the newest class of inductees to enter the Hall. Modern category inductees include two-division champion Arturo “Thunder” Gatti (posthumous), five-time world champion Virgil “Quicksilver” Hill, two-time light flyweight champion Myung-Woo Yuh, “Let’s Get It On” referee Mills Lane, ring announcer Jimmy Lennon, Jr., and journalist Colin Hart.

“We’re extremely excited about the Class of 2013 and very much looking forward to honoring the 24th class of inductees,” said Executive Director Edward Brophy. [Click Here To Read More]
            I hope he does god bless the man true warrior

Comment

Stallone's biggest contribution was his series of Rocky movies. Gatti contributed four Ring Magazine fights of the year. He attracted fans to the sport and drew good ratings for HBO.

I agree that he was an average fighter and does not have a HOF resume. But if writers, promoters and actors can get in because of their contributions to the sport, why can't fighters themselves?
              The Rocky movies didnt attract fans to boxing? It actually did but waaaay more then Gatti.

And but that last part, since Stallone got in, EVERY fighter whos ever fought should get it?

Comment

Gatti was a warrior who deserves to be remembered in the hearts of all fans for his incredible fights,but if he get elected to the hall-of-fame, then THAT would open the flood gates for most boxers. People shouldn't be comparing this to sylvester stallone because he got in on a different category.

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
                  They are not taking up fighters spots, there's a special section for non combatants. It's like Nobel prizes for peace and physics, you resent the peace guys?
                  You can't compare the Nobel Prizes to a sport's HoF. The Noble main categories specifically include both peace and physics and do not rank either above or below the other categories. Now if any those categories had subcategories that had Noble prizes, then you could make the comparison.

My gripe is that how do announcers and journalists enhance and emulate the best of the sport? A ring announcer doesn't take much talent or hard work. A smooth voice, a clean appearance, and being at the right place at the right time - how does that bring out the best of boxing? How does proper pronunciation showcase the best of boxing?

Journalists? If we had journalists that delved deep into what's wrong with boxing, journalists who made a difference in the sport, then I wouldn't have a problem. But journalists these days are content with writing material that appeals to people, but not draw attention to the real issues. If we had Upton Sinclair as a boxing journalist, he would have exposed the wrongs of the boxing business, forced change, and ultimately made the sport better. But we don't have Upton Sinclairs, we have Ben Thompsons, Lytle Fitzsimmons, and Ronnie Nathanialz.

These are why I don't consider announcers and journalists to be worthy of hall of famers, sure they may be popular and write popular things, but in the infinite future of boxing, how different are they from the next popular announcer or journalist?

Comment

Originally posted by anonymous2.0 View Post
                    You can't compare the Nobel Prizes to a sport's HoF. The Noble main categories specifically include both peace and physics and do not rank either above or below the other categories. Now if any those categories had subcategories that had Noble prizes, then you could make the comparison.

My gripe is that how do announcers and journalists enhance and emulate the best of the sport? A ring announcer doesn't take much talent or hard work. A smooth voice, a clean appearance, and being at the right place at the right time - how does that bring out the best of boxing? How does proper pronunciation showcase the best of boxing?

Journalists? If we had journalists that delved deep into what's wrong with boxing, journalists who made a difference in the sport, then I wouldn't have a problem. But journalists these days are content with writing material that appeals to people, but not draw attention to the real issues. If we had Upton Sinclair as a boxing journalist, he would have exposed the wrongs of the boxing business, forced change, and ultimately made the sport better. But we don't have Upton Sinclairs, we have Ben Thompsons, Lytle Fitzsimmons, and Ronnie Nathanialz.

These are why I don't consider announcers and journalists to be worthy of hall of famers, sure they may be popular and write popular things, but in the infinite future of boxing, how different are they from the next popular announcer or journalist?
                    Yeah, it wasn't a great comparison. What I'm trying to say is, they are 2 totally different things despite the name. The runner up physicist probably feels tons more deserving than some touchy feely activist. But it's not like he missed out on his prize cause they gave the Nobel peace prize to this guy. Same with fighters.

It's a good point about how the role of a journalist has diminished, but then you got Stallone to make up for it. And you still got promoters, trainers, matchmakers that have been in the business for decades, more influential than most HOF fighters.

Comment

Gatti I love you but sorry, you do not belong in the HOF with the elite. You were beyond exciting to watch and had tons of heart but as a boxer you were mediocre. The HOF should be the best boxers of their generation. Gatti fought from 130-147 and ANYONE in the HOF within that weight class would defeat Gatti. I guess guys like Mickey Ward and Emanuel Augustus should be inducted as well since they gave us amazing fights as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X