White House Drafts Order to Look Into Google, Facebook

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [REAL TALK] White House Drafts Order to Look Into Google, Facebook

White House Drafts Order to Look Into Google, Facebook

The White House has drafted an executive order for President Donald Trump’s signature that would instruct federal antitrust and law enforcement agencies to open probes into the practices of Alphabet Inc.’s Google, Facebook Inc., and other social media companies.

The order is in its preliminary stages and hasn’t yet been run past other government agencies, said a White House official. Bloomberg News obtained a draft of the order.

The document instructs U.S. antitrust authorities to “thoroughly investigate whether any online platform has acted in violation of the antitrust laws.” It instructs other government agencies to recommend within a month after it’s signed, actions that could potentially “protect competition among online platforms and address online platform bias.”

Read the Executive Order draft on bias in online platforms

The document doesn’t name any companies. If signed, the order would represent a significant escalation of Trump’s aversion to Google, Facebook, Twitter and other social media companies, whom he’s publicly accused of silencing conservative voices and news sources online.

The press offices of Google, Facebook and Twitter didn’t respond Saturday to emails and telephone calls requesting comment outside of normal office hours.

[.....]
    https://www.bloombergquint.com/busin...oogle-facebook

Nothing wrong with that.

Comment

Yeah I think it's time. With the video that dropped and the emails that came out yesterday it's time.

Comment

Waste of time and money. Instead he should be investigatingthe real modern monopolies like These ISPs who control all of our aces to the internet. They actually take real actions to prevent competition and artificially keep internet prices high.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingTech718 View Post
          Waste of time and money. Instead he should be investigatingthe real modern monopolies like These ISPs who control all of our aces to the internet. They actually take real actions to prevent competition and artificially keep internet prices high.
          ISPs provide you internet access. Google and Facebook control the information that you search for and can see. They are used as propaganda tools to favor the Left.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad_ View Post
            ISPs provide you internet access. Google and Facebook control the information that you search for and can see. They are used as propaganda tools to favor the Left.
            Exactly why it’s far more important to have more competition between ISPs than there is search engines and social media sites.

I can name at least five competitors to both google and Facebook. You can’t name more than five competitors when it comes to ISPs in a given town.

So it’s obvious that Trump is picking and choosing and not really looking to provide better options for us consumers

It’s just a game because they won’t suck up to him. While You can say Facebook is liberal they cant force anyone to use their service. Especially since it is a free service being provided.

Comment

Exactly why it’s far more important to have more competition between ISPs than there is search engines and social media sites.

I can name at least five competitors to both google and Facebook. You can’t name more than five competitors when it comes to ISPs in a given town.

So it’s obvious that Trump is picking and choosing and not really looking to provide better options for us consumers

It’s just a game because they won’t suck up to him. While You can say Facebook is liberal they cant force anyone to use their service. Especially since it is a free service being provided.
              Google, Facebook and Twitter are by far the biggest platforms. Or did you mean Yahoo is the competition?

If you don't like one ISP, you can switch to another. What you want is to make internet access more affordable, and I agree, but let's agree that nobody will cancel their internet service. They'll pick one and keep it and if they don't like it, they can switch.

But information control is a lot more serious.

Comment

Google, Facebook and Twitter are by far the biggest platforms. Or did you mean Yahoo is the competition?

If you don't like one ISP, you can switch to another. What you want is to make internet access more affordable, and I agree, but let's agree that nobody will cancel their internet service. They'll pick one and keep it and if they don't like it, they can switch.

But information control is a lot more serious.
                It is far easier to use an alternative website than it is to find an alternative ISP.

ISPs not only control access they also control content.

By slowing down and speeding up the bandwidth of websites. They even block websites and content.

Yahoo, Bing, ask, baidu, AOL are all viable options that people don’t have to pay for and avoid using google.

MySpace, hi5, Twitter, LinkedIn, Reddit,Pinterest, are all popular Facebook alternatives.

Consumers are on FB and google because they choose to be. Consumers stay with their ISPs because in most areas there are only two to three options.

Comment

It is far easier to use an alternative website than it is to find an alternative ISP.

ISPs not only control access they also control content.

By slowing down and speeding up the bandwidth of websites. They even block websites and content.

Yahoo, Bing, ask, baidu, AOL are all viable options that people don’t have to pay for and avoid using google.

MySpace, hi5, Twitter, LinkedIn, Reddit,Pinterest, are all popular Facebook alternatives.

Consumers are on FB and google because they choose to be. Consumers stay with their ISPs because in most areas there are only two to three options.
                  I didn’t know about ISPs slowing down or blocking specific websites. Are they doing that already? I thought this was part of the Net Neutrality discussions. If they are doing that already, I don’t support that.

I thought you were talking about higher speed internet being expensive...

Comment

I didn’t know about ISPs slowing down or blocking specific websites. Are they doing that already? I thought this was part of the Net Neutrality discussions. If they are doing that already, I don’t support that.

I thought you were talking about higher speed internet being expensive...
                    They are already slowing down Specific apps and websites. I’ve noticed since Net Neutrality being repealed I’ve had drops in the middle of COD and Desting competive marches. As well as buffering and slow downs using Netflix, Hulu and some other less legal movie streaming programs. I’ve also noticed that since Net Neutrality was repealed my ISP has come up with their own streaming service to compete with Netflix. They are slowing down the competition so they can promote their own crap but I’m not interested. I prefer Netflixes content and format.

Comment

Working...
                    X