Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dana White: "Every time boxing puts on an event it's a going out of business sale"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Currently...Mcgregor is bigger than boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrone Biggums! View Post
      I agree

Boxing has become all about these bow tie wearing, skinny jeans wearing "bruvvas" running away for 12 rounds and winning by landing a couple of jabs a round.

Nobody wanna see that nobody wanna pay to see the sweet science of how to run from a fight.

Bring back the old days, Mike tyson sugar ray dey was real fighters and they ain't wear no bow ties
      I agree. There's boxing and hitting without getting hit and then there's what we have today which is basically win on points and then coast and if things get tough quit (Walters) and under no circumstances try to stop your oponent (**** the fans). Bring performance based pay and bonuses.

Comment

Dana does bring up some good points even tho he's a greedy bastard himself.

Comment

I agree

Boxing has become all about these bow tie wearing, skinny jeans wearing "bruvvas" running away for 12 rounds and winning by landing a couple of jabs a round.

Nobody wanna see that nobody wanna pay to see the sweet science of how to run from a fight.

Bring back the old days, Mike tyson sugar ray dey was real fighters and they ain't wear no bow ties
          Heh, you're posts are funny man.

I won't name names cuz of the butthurt on here sometimes but the sport has indeed gone soft cuz of the runners, over-clinchers/holding and safety-first spoilers. Boxing has gone puzzy because of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
            I didn't say boxing is dying. You guys really gotta quit with the extremes all the time. There is a whole world of grey in between the black & white some of you cats can only focus on.

Every UFC event (about 3 a month) has an event quality to it with a card full of 12ish fights that are more often then not competitive that greatly appeal to MMA fans. Sure some are bigger or more appeal, but every show they put on is built to be appealing to MMA fans.

Meanwhile HBO hardly showed a competitive fight off of PPV all this year. And boxing as a whole ALMOST NEVER puts on a quality card filled with competitive fights that truly appeal to what boxing fans want to see. Hell usually the top 4 or 5 fights on a card only have 1 competitive fight if that. Thats a f#cking problem for boxings popularity. I mean just look at threads here all the time about bs fights with every network, its not a HBO thing, its not a Showtime/PBC thing. Its a boxing thing.

And randomly as an avid bettor its always clear how effed up boxing is these days if you go check out the betting lines. The upcoming boxing main events & co-features all over the world on any given weekend are usually -500 for the favorite or higher going upwards of -2000 commonly & sometimes going up to -5000. Meanwhile MMA events have a card full of fights that don't go higher than -200ish for the fav, +180ish for the dog. I mean without anything else considered any reasonable sports fan would rather watch a -200, +180 or closer matchup vs a -500, +320 or wider matchup in virtually any sport cuz people watch sports at their core to see legit competition.
            Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
            There is an argument for an apples & oranges comparison. I'd still suggest there are big & lil warlords in boxing with en****** like HBO, Showtime, PBC, SKY, GBP, TR & other major networks & promotions that can't or won't make competitive events that appeal to boxing fans on the regular.

About the only thing close to making appealing events in boxing on the regular is Eddie Hearn & Matchroom. Everyone else is aiming towards cashing out with this event or that contender or champion. Thats not how you go about making your sport bigger & better.
            Some good points made here. Boxing promoters have become too focused on trying to build A side superstars to draw in money from casual sports fans. And the way they go about doing it is via soft match making and the dreaded "m" word ... "marination". Aka, keeping the top fighters and title holders in every division apart and having them fight a succession of no hope fall guys instead of going up against each other.

The UFC model, where the best are required to fight the best, as soon as the match can be made, with zero "marination", throws the deficiencies of modern day boxing into stark contrast.

One reason why boxing is booming in the UK is that Eddie Hearn is following the blue-print of matching prospects and popular UK fighters against each other, or against tough overseas opponents, whenever possible, and letting the whole country know about it by promoting his shows properly.

Some would say that Hearn has been star-building himself, with Anthony Joshua, and I guess that's true. But AJ gets a pass from me because, in boxing terms, he is still a novice. You could hardly expect AJ to turn his nose up at a world title when the IBF belt practically fell into his lap after Tyson Fury was stripped of it.

And now AJ is fighting Wlad next. Ok, Wlad lost his last fight, has been out for over a year, and AJ is getting him at home. But it's still Wlad Klitschko he's fighting next. And that's a very dangerous match for a guy with limited amateur experience and only 17 pro fights under his belt.

Comment

Originally posted by DeLorean View Post
              Currently...Mcgregor is bigger than boxing.
              Shut that dumb ass **** up.

Comment

Originally posted by lopetego View Post
                Two things killed the PPV model

Online streaming and Mayweather's overly expensive snoozefests

You'll need something truly special to get the casual's attention again
                This oily cholo can't go 5 minutes without mentioning Mayweather.

Comment

same story for over a decade....YAWWWWWWWWN

Comment

Originally posted by HandsofIron View Post
                    Heh, you're posts are funny man.

I won't name names cuz of the butthurt on here sometimes but the sport has indeed gone soft cuz of the runners, over-clinchers/holding and safety-first spoilers. Boxing has gone puzzy because of them.
                    You say boxers have gone p*ssy but you have 2 quitters in your avi

Go stink-up the MMA forums since boxing is so beneath you.

Comment

I agree

Comment

Working...
                      X