No announcement yet.

Boxing is funny, Crawford couldnt even qualify for the Olympic team

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing is funny, Crawford couldnt even qualify for the Olympic team

Boxing is funny, he wasnt good enough to even make the Olympic teams but has dominated 3 gold medalists

Spence fizzled in the Olympics too, look at him now.

Olympic pedigree doesn't always define a fighter. I mean look at Audley Harrison, lol.

Comment

Not really he was younger.
      Comics like Joe Torry, Ricky Harris and Bill Bellamy were getting booked over Dave Chappelle in like 1992.

Eddie Jones kept Kobe Bryant on the bench for 3 seasons.

Comment

Lol diaz and Gamboa are half the size of Crawford are we supposed to impressed by that?

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx.. View Post
          Boxing is funny, he wasnt good enough to even make the Olympic teams but has dominated 3 gold medalists
          Sadam Ali beat him too, surprisingly. Although back then Ali might have been using PEDs (tested positive for a stimulant/wouldn't surprise me if he still was using it).

But here's the thing: the amateurs are extremely competitive. There are so many talented and skilled fighters who never turn professional, that's a fact.

Check this fight out, Errol Spence Jr. vs. Sapiyev--- although this isn't the guy he lost to in the Olympics, this is the dude that beat him at Worlds 2011 (and he was a hell of an amateur boxer):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=nQFmIYgecvw

It just goes to show, the American amateur system is very weak. Our fighters all have so much talent, but aren't brought up well compared to other countries. Only in the professionals do our guys really shine, because they probably start earning money to provide better coaching, training, dieting, and so forth...

tldr; American amateur boxing lacks funding to provide proper training and support. Only once fighters become Professional and stand to gain lots of money do they start getting the support they need to become greater fighters.

Comment

I think it relates to the reason I'm not particularly interested in watching amateur boxing. It's really all points. In pro boxing, power, stamina, and strategy come into play and it's a much deeper game than a few rds of points fighting. Look what happened to Loma when he fought Salido, a amateur wizard who got a rude awakening to the differences in a pro fight. Loma has since tuned his approach and become a brilliant PRO fighter.

I forget the name of the guy who kept Mike Tyson out of the Olympics but, as a pro, Mike absolutely wrecked him.
            Last edited by Redd Foxx; 08-12-2018, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Look at Loma. Won two gold medals then lost to an average fighter in Salido.

Comment

Yeah that is strange.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                  I think it relates to the reason I'm not particularly interested in watching amateur boxing. It's really all points. In pro boxing, power, stamina, and strategy come into play and it's a much deeper game than a few rds of points fighting. Look what happened to Loma when he fought Salido, a amateur wizard who got a rude awakening to the differences in a pro fight. Loma has since tuned his approach and become a brilliant PRO fighter.

I forget the name of the guy who kelp Mike Tyson out of the Olympics but, as a pro, Mike absolutely wrecked him.

Comment

Larry Holmes couldn't best Diane Bobick to get on the Olympic team, how'd those professional careers turn out?

Comment

Working...
                    X