Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greb's resume vs. Robinson's resume?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C o c k e l l definitetly had some c h i n k s in his armor.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
      I had the friendship of Lou Bogash Jr. whose dad fought everyone under the sun including Greb. In 1912 Bogash went the distance with Greb loosing a competitive fight. Bogash fought 127 pro bouts and was stopped ONCE!
      His son Lou Bogash Jr was a pro & amateur ref in Connecticut for many years and was a big help to me when I started boxing and then training.
      He told me that Greb was incredible at his best but that Robinson was a more complete boxer because of his ability to use lateral moves along with pressure punching.

I think their opponents quality is close but Robinson has a higher
      number of contenders and he always gave multiple rematches.

Ray
      Greb gave multiple rematches as well, Tiger Flowers, Tommy Gibbons, Tommy Loughran, Gene Tunney to name a few.

He fought everyone out there on every day of the week.

Comment

Originally posted by Canelo and GGG View Post
        Greb was 33-11-4 vs HoFers ,SRR have not even 30 fights vs HoFers ,Greb have better resume then any one by far ,maybe not Langford
        I think Sam's resume slightly trump's Grebs which is why I rate him the very best. He also did it over a larger span of weight classes. Neither Greb nor Robinson can lay claim to beating HOF and ATG fighters from lightweight to heavyweight.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
          I think Sam's resume slightly trump's Grebs which is why I rate him the very best. He also did it over a larger span of weight classes. Neither Greb nor Robinson can lay claim to beating HOF and ATG fighters from lightweight to heavyweight.
          Yea ,but i think Grebs resume is better cuse most HoF fights for Sam are vs same guys (18 fights vs 3 guys or something)

its not fair to say that cuse Greb was havier and couldnt fight in lighter devs ,he beat world class opposition from MW to HW

Comment

Grebs Resume

How does Greb's resume stack up to Robinsons? He has more fights against more champions and HOFers across higher weight divisions, and arguably did so more successfully.

If Robinson's record is the gold standard then Greb's is platinum.

Comment

Originally posted by klompton View Post
              How does Greb's resume stack up to Robinsons? He has more fights against more champions and HOFers across higher weight divisions, and arguably did so more successfully.

If Robinson's record is the gold standard then Greb's is platinum.
              Coming from an even earlier era, the ledgers of both Langford and Greb are stacked with more frequent fights and more rematches at least in part because of more frequent fights. Chicken or the egg. The frequency of bouts has steadily decreased since the earliest gloved days.

The game was probably in its golden age for entertainment and information purposes between Dempsey/Willard and Robinson's second fight with Basilio.

Of course many of the old fans at the time would have sworn that all mentioned were wusses and stood no chance against the earlier old timers.

Comment

Not bad for a natural Welter.....

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                  I had the friendship of Lou Bogash Jr. whose dad fought everyone under the sun including Greb. In 1912 Bogash went the distance with Greb loosing a competitive fight. Bogash fought 127 pro bouts and was stopped ONCE!
                  His son Lou Bogash Jr was a pro & amateur ref in Connecticut for many years and was a big help to me when I started boxing and then training.
                  He told me that Greb was incredible at his best but that Robinson was a more complete boxer because of his ability to use lateral moves along with pressure punching.

I think their opponents quality is close but Robinson has a higher
                  number of contenders and he always gave multiple rematches.

Two great champions that would have walk overs in the current climate. If the contenders at 160 won't take on GGG they'd retire before signing for Greb & Sugar.
                  These men were mean people at the ring and wanted to inflict hurt and that's something you don't see in today's boxers. Most are searching for the last round and you NEVER see a fighter exhausted from max effort.

Ray
                  Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                  Coming from an even earlier era, the ledgers of both Langford and Greb are stacked with more frequent fights and more rematches at least in part because of more frequent fights. Chicken or the egg. The frequency of bouts has steadily decreased since the earliest gloved days.

The game was probably in its golden age for entertainment and information purposes between Dempsey/Willard and Robinson's second fight with Basilio.

Of course many of the old fans at the time would have sworn that all mentioned were wusses and stood no chance against the earlier old timers.
                  Originally posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
                  Not bad for a natural Welter.....
                  if we're talking about fantasy fights, i wish i could see prime Greb against Lamotta, both guys would have went to the hospital after

Comment

Working...
                  X