Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Black Panther' Hype: "Erik Killmonger Is The Best Marvel Villain Since The Joker"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DeadLikeMe View Post
    Can anyone who posts on here verify I'm not going crazy? Maybe I'm too old, maybe I'm too white. WTF inspiration is a fictitious country where people only became technologically advanced because they won the lottery? I just don't get it.
    yeah, i started thread about that

and it isn't the audience, is the cast

obviously it was turned into a race war

https://www.boxingscene.com/forums/s...d.php?t=772229

Comment

• Originally posted by travestyny View Post
      Here's my take on it...which has been my take on it before I saw it, and after I saw it.

It's a marvel superhero film. It is pure fiction. For that reason, and yes, as a black man, I'm not worked up over it.

As for the film itself...thought it was the best Marvel film I've seen besides maybe Logan. I liked it as much as Logan, but can't say I liked it more. Maybe I give the edge to Logan. Also really liked the villain whom I agree is the best superhero villain since Ledger's Joker. And I think that's because he seemed to be real. Real dude, real issues, and believable (besides the unrealistic amount of people he's killed).

And when I finally saw the film, it did bring up social issues that caused a conversation. I saw the film with 2 white women -- one from Canada and one from America. The American told me that she felt uncomfortable at some point and wasn't sure of the direction the film was headed in. Said it made her feel uneasy and that she had a sudden "white guilt" reaction to it that she didn't like, but the ending relaxed her. Honestly, I felt like "fvvck yo feelings," but the best I could muster was that she should have known where the film was going and that it would be "righted" in the end.

Ok, but to get to your question about why many people are making a big deal about it:

1. All black cast and director. Sure there have been some movies like this, but the blockbusters are few and far between.

2. A movie where there are NATURAL black people, not people with Beyonce weaves all over the place. I should add that it was not about slavery or the civil rights movement. Finally something different.

3. A movie with REAL black actors, not ****ing Ludacris and whichever other rapper they want to pull out of their ass.

4. Finally a black move that attracts ALL people. I saw it in South Korea and the crowd really seemed to love it. I've seen Korean kids posing in front of the posters pretending to be Black Panther. You don't see that shlllt all the time.

5. Black people in a film doing positive things...besides Killmonger. lol. The people of Wakanda were portrayed as intelligent, beautiful etc.

6. A positive role model for young black children. Believe it or not, this shllt is very good for young black children. Finally someone they feel they might be able to relate to and they no longer have to pretend to be Captain America or Thor when they play Avengers with their friends. Not that there is anything wrong with pretending to be either of those, but Black Children need upstanding characters that look like them.

It's just shyt like that man. I've rambled enough, but I think you might catch my drift. And as for the adults who seem a bit too much into it....well like has been said over and over. Other races get all into movies as well. People still dress up for the damn Rocky Horror Picture Show or whatever it is. Just let people enjoy the damn movie and have some fun. Finally a "black" movie that you can go to and have fun in, instead of feeling bad about watching a slave get his ass whipped for most of the damn movie!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dean_Razorback View Post
        yeah, i started thread about that

and it isn't the audience, is the cast

obviously it was turned into a race war

https://www.boxingscene.com/forums/s...d.php?t=772229

Comment

Here's my take on it...which has been my take on it before I saw it, and after I saw it.

It's a marvel superhero film. It is pure fiction. For that reason, and yes, as a black man, I'm not worked up over it.

As for the film itself...thought it was the best Marvel film I've seen besides maybe Logan. I liked it as much as Logan, but can't say I liked it more. Maybe I give the edge to Logan. Also really liked the villain whom I agree is the best superhero villain since Ledger's Joker. And I think that's because he seemed to be real. Real dude, real issues, and believable (besides the unrealistic amount of people he's killed).

And when I finally saw the film, it did bring up social issues that caused a conversation. I saw the film with 2 white women -- one from Canada and one from America. The American told me that she felt uncomfortable at some point and wasn't sure of the direction the film was headed in. Said it made her feel uneasy and that she had a sudden "white guilt" reaction to it that she didn't like, but the ending relaxed her. Honestly, I felt like "fvvck yo feelings," but the best I could muster was that she should have known where the film was going and that it would be "righted" in the end.

Ok, but to get to your question about why many people are making a big deal about it:

1. All black cast and director. Sure there have been some movies like this, but the blockbusters are few and far between.

2. A movie where there are NATURAL black people, not people with Beyonce weaves all over the place. I should add that it was not about slavery or the civil rights movement. Finally something different.

3. A movie with REAL black actors, not ****ing Ludacris and whichever other rapper they want to pull out of their ass.

4. Finally a black move that attracts ALL people. I saw it in South Korea and the crowd really seemed to love it. I've seen Korean kids posing in front of the posters pretending to be Black Panther. You don't see that shlllt all the time.

5. Black people in a film doing positive things...besides Killmonger. lol. The people of Wakanda were portrayed as intelligent, beautiful etc.

6. A positive role model for young black children. Believe it or not, this shllt is very good for young black children. Finally someone they feel they might be able to relate to and they no longer have to pretend to be Captain America or Thor when they play Avengers with their friends. Not that there is anything wrong with pretending to be either of those, but Black Children need upstanding characters that look like them.

7. Forgot to add this: Bad ass black women! No, I don't mean their looks. I mean their character. Wonderwomen was supposed to be that movie for Feminists...and Black Panther did that so much better than WW. The women in the movie seemed more bad ass than the men!

It's just shyt like that man. I've rambled enough, but I think you might catch my drift. And as for the adults who seem a bit too much into it....well like has been said over and over. Other races get all into movies as well. People still dress up for the damn Rocky Horror Picture Show or whatever it is. Just let people enjoy the damn movie and have some fun. Finally a "black" movie that you can go to and have fun in, instead of feeling bad about watching a slave get his ass whipped for most of the damn movie!

**********SPoiler Alert*********

And again, really loved the "villain" and I think as a black man, to be honest, I could relate to how he felt. I'm not all about "kill whitey" or anything like that, but I was happy that he got an honorable death and made a powerful enough statement that resulted in some thought and dialogue after the movie was done, and I think that most reasonable people in the least might say....I don't agree with his actions, but I can understand why he feels that way.

Just my take.
          Made it to #6 and just had to stop reading. You touched on so many points that many who are not from our background would never even understand

phenomenal post... Will green you and give you a few gifts when I have a chance
          Last edited by Chollo Vista; 02-21-2018, 07:28 AM.

Comment

• lets not forget....

+

=

Comment

• Originally posted by Chollo Vista View Post
              Made it to #6 and just had to stop reading. You touched on so many points that many who are not from our background would never even understand

phenomenal post... Will green you and give you a few gifts when I have a chance
              Much appreciated, bruva! Seems this movie is really killing it since people can't stop talking about it. Whether they talk good or bad about it, they are talking, which makes it clear that this movie was a HUGE success!

Comment

• Originally posted by Elroy The Great View Post
                lets not forget....

+

=

What exactly are we supposed to be remembering that we apparently forgot? lol

Stan Lee was in the movie, like he usually is.

Comment

• Originally posted by BoxingTech718 View Post
                  The real question is why do you care?
                  Why does the innocent enjoyment bother you?
                  Could it be that you’re a hater?
                  100% this.

Who gives a ****?

Saw the same sheeit with WonderWoman.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeadLikeMe View Post
                    If some kid watches the movie and thinks, I want to go study engineering at MIT. That's fantastic. If only 5 kids see this movie and want to go to MIT or be Action Jackson like the aforemenioned villian in this thread, that's great.

However, you do acknowledge the sheer insanity of grown-ass men seeing a ****ing Marvel movie and considering it a cultural achievement? Maybe I'm the only sane mane left in the US?
                    God yeah grown men/women dressing up and getting excited over a film.... crazy

You would never see that at any other comic book film, right?

Comment

What exactly are we supposed to be remembering that we apparently forgot? lol

Stan Lee was in the movie, like he usually is.
                      a) the hype has excluded those who created bp
                      b) its possible for non white superheroes to have success. now lets see non white people create their own superheroes/villains (by 'non' white, its not limited to just AAs).

i plan on seeing it next week. i gave 'get out' a honest review. i truly enjoyed that flick.

Comment

Working...
                      X