Collapse
No announcement yet.

DiBella: "Martinez Won't Go Fight Bigger Bums Like Pacquiao"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's right. I don't think people realy listen to what they speak, or type. Check it, when people talk about Martinez moving up, the 1st to fighters they mention are Ward & Froch. Yup, the 2 best fighters at 168.

Reality check boys. When Pacman moved to 154 to challenge himself,(it was against Margarito). That would be the equivalent of Bika or Andrade for Martinez, well actually Bika & Andrade are a step up over Margarito, but you get the point.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
      What a crock of sh**. Look, I understand Martinez is getting his chance late and wants the Mayweather or Pacquiao fight so he can capitalize while still able to, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't continue to challenge himself. At the very least he could fight titleholders in his division.

Martinez has plenty of options that he is ignoring at the moment because he is begging like a punk for the payday Mayweather and Pacquiao bring.
      Moving up to fight Williams and then fighting Pavlik.

punk moves?

Comment

Just because theyre taller doesnt mean theyre bigger. Serg is a wide, ripped, muscular guy who is not weak by any stretch of the imagination.

Comment

Originally posted by No Ceilings View Post
          Just because theyre taller doesnt mean theyre bigger. Serg is a wide, ripped, muscular guy who is not weak by any stretch of the imagination.
          Please see Arthur Abraham at 168, mano.

Yes. Some of that is stylistic. But reach and dimension also comes into play.

Comment

Dibella is an *******. Sergio walks around at 168? Biggest BS I've ever heard. Martinez is 170ish on fight night. Remember that weigh in 30 days before the Williams fight - 176! Martinez wants to fight Pacquiao who is 148 on fight night! In other words, Sergio would have a 22 pound weight advantage (14.86% weight advantage). If Sergio fought Hopkins then he would be at a 16 pound weight disadvantage at his current fight night weight (Hopkins is 186 on fight night). This would be a 9.4% advantage for Hopkins, which shows us that it would be much less outrageous for Martinez to fight Hopkins than Pacquiao to fight Martinez. Is anyone calling for Martinez to fight B.Hop? No!

Comment

Originally posted by Gino Ros View Post
              Please see Arthur Abraham at 168, mano.

Yes. Some of that is stylistic. But reach and dimension also comes into play.
              Abraham sucked at 168 because his talent was way less than everyone else at 168. Abraham is the most one dimensional fighter i've ever seen: his gameplan is to block for the whole fight, swing every so often and hope he lands a big shot.

Comment

This was something to argue about a year ago, but their choice of opponents now are nothing to brag about. It's not like Floyd or Golden Boy has responded to their challenge. DiBella saying all this won't help his relationship with Arum.

Comment

I see what he is saying and mostly agree with it. I don’t believe to be great you absolutely have to jump up (or down, for that matter) in weight classes and collect belts. You can be equally great just dominating your own division and taking on top contenders. As well, there has been a lot of medical evidence to suggest that jumping up and down in weight (as a lot of boxers do) is bad for both your short and long term health and actually could make you even more susceptible to brain injury. Thus, if Martinez feels comfortable at his walking around weight in the ring, he should stay there and good for him.

However, with all of that said, I think the shot against Pac was inappropriate and only weakens what I believe was originally a good point.

Comment

Originally posted by Feint View Post
                    I see what he is saying and mostly agree with it. I don’t believe to be great you absolutely have to jump up (or down, for that matter) in weight classes and collect belts. You can be equally great just dominating your own division and taking on top contenders. As well, there has been a lot of medical evidence to suggest that jumping up and down in weight (as a lot of boxers do) is bad for both your short and long term health and actually could make you even more susceptible to brain injury. Thus, if Martinez feels comfortable at his walking around weight in the ring, he should stay there and good for him.

However, with all of that said, I think the shot against Pac was inappropriate and only weakens what I believe was originally a good point.
                    Strongly disagree with the bolded in this case. Martinez dominating a weak division doesn't impress me. There is nothing great about beating people like Barker I'm afraid. Martinez asks for a Floyd/Pac fight all the time even though he would outweigh Pac by 20-22 pounds (Pac is ~ 148 on FN and Martinez is ~ 168-170) and it is my belief that he would outweigh Floyd by about 13-15 pounds. Martinez moving up to super middle, where most guys are around 178 on fight night, would be giving up much less of an advantage than Pac and Floyd would be giving up by fighting Sergio. As I pointed out in my earlier post, it would be less outrageous for Sergio to fight Hopkins than Pac to fight Sergio.

As for the jumping up and down in weight causing medical issues, he wouldn't need to anyway, he could just come in at his fight night weight. Sergio blows up between fights anyway and cuts weight. His concern isn't a medical one. Sergio wants to beat up Pac and Floyd who he would outweigh by ~ 15-20 pounds on fight night but won't fight at super middle where he would have ~ 10 pound disadvantage? Give me a break. Giving up weight matters even less at higher weights too.
                    Last edited by stefl14; 08-06-2011, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stefl14 View Post
                      Abraham sucked at 168 because his talent was way less than everyone else at 168. Abraham is the most one dimensional fighter i've ever seen: his gameplan is to block for the whole fight, swing every so often and hope he lands a big shot.
                      Yes. That is the stylistic component that I referred to. But that shortfall was magnified when he faced longer guys who can keep him at bay easily.

Why weren't the 160ers exposing him?

Are you telling me that Lara would beat Abe as easily as Ward did?

Comment

Working...
                      X