Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Do You Think Is The Hardest Fanatsy Fight To Pick A Winner Out Of?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
    Lennox Lewis jab was nothing but a paw` it was a distracker not a weapon like Riddick Bowe`s, Lewis was easily "out-jabbed" by Frank Bruno and Vitali Klitschko, Holyfield held his own with Lewis in the jabbing, sorry but Bowe would have decapitad Lewis with his jab, Lewis just does not match-up to Bowe in any department of the sport of boxing, it is immaterial wether Bowes peak was 3yrs or 20yrs, if these 2 had met between 93 to 96 Bowe would have been the easy victor, Lewis never in his career did he produce a performance like those that Bowe produced, Lewis in his best ever performance won a split decision over Mercer, Mercer was then beaten by Jesse Ferguson that same Ferguson was butchered by Bowe as was former champ Mike Dokes who was on a 10 fight win streak, Bowe unfortunately "eat himself out of the title" bloating up to over 350lbs between fights, Bowe vs Golota 1 & 2 was as good as any heavyweight fights in boxing history and "Brutal" .. after those 2 fights "BOTH" Bowe and Golota was never the same fighters again... Lennox Lewis wanted `no-part` of any fighters who was at the top of their game in the 1990s Lewis only ever fought `bums, cans and has-beens` Lennox Lewis claim to fame is that he beat Tyson 11yrs after Buster Douglas had beaten Mighty Mike, 6yrs after Holyfield had finished off what was left of Tyson.. Lewis always boasted that Bowe was afraid to fight him, when infact nothing could have been further from the truth, The WBC ordered Bowe vs Lewis in 93, Bowe was the undisputed champion, Lewis was demanding a 50/50 purse split and options on Bowes next 5 fights should Bowe win, Bowe said,"no way" so the WBC threatened to strip Bowe of their belt if he did not agree, so Bowe said to the WBC "UP YOU" and threw their belt in the trash can, Bowe went on to defend his title for $30 million in a rematch with Holyfield, not the $3 million he was going to be paid for fighting Lewis... The Lewis camp seized on this and claimed for anyone who would listen that Bowe was afraid of their man... Bowe lost the closest decision in heavyweight history to Holyfield and Lewis got poleaxed by McCall in 1994, the Bowe camp made a legitimate offer of £10 million to the Lennox Lewis camp and Lewis turned it down claiming he was concentrating on regaining his WBC title... the truth being Lennox Lewis never ever wanted to fight Riddick Bowe.
    And Bowe didn't? Bowe's sole great performance was against the cruiser-sized Holyfield, who fought the stupidest fight of his life that night. Bowe looked awful in the rematch and looked on his way out in the third against an ailing Holyfield before landing a Hail Mary shot. Which other great performances against top fighters did you have in mind which tell you Bowe beats Lewis as easily as you claim? Buster Mathis, Herbie Hide?

Lewis, Tyson, Tua, Ruddock, Foreman, Ibeabuchi, Holmes, Moorer, Morrison, Tucker were all top contenders during the 90s and Bowe fought precisely none of them. Lewis struggled with Mercer, Bruno, McCall? I don't recall Bowe fighting any of those three either.

Bowe ditched his WBC belt to avoid his mandatory Lewis, hot off his two round blowout of Ruddock, reneging on a prior agreement that the winners of Bowe-Holyfield and Lewis-Ruddock would face each other (btw, do you have a source for all those Lewis demands?) and instead he took on Ferguson, who wasn't even ranked. Dokes may have been on a winning streak but he wasn't ranked either, he was just a remnant of the 80s and had beaten no one of note save Ferguson.

Bowe's entire career is a would have or what if. Bottom line is he didn't. His career pales when compared with Lewis'.

Comment

Hi Sonnybox, interesting rant there:

'Lennox Lewis jab was nothing but a paw` it was a distracker'.

Interesting thought and English, I doubt many would agree with you. Lewis is widely held to have one of the best jabs out of all the heavyweights in the 90s.

'Lewis was easily "out-jabbed" by Frank Bruno and Vitali Klitschko'.

True, Bruno did outjab him, but Lennox clearly neglected the jab for some reason that night, he wasn't the finished product when he was with Pepe Correa. As for Vitali, Lennox clearly had better days and was right to retire afterwards in his late 30s. There were many fights where Lennox showed a great jab, fast, heavy and accurate.

'Lewis just does not match-up to Bowe in any department of the sport of boxing'.

I think this is an outlandish statement. I do rate Bowe a bit higher in my ATG heavyweight list but come on!

'Lewis never in his career did he produce a performance like those that Bowe produced':

Both looked spectacular in different fights, Lewis looked terrific against Ruddock, Golota, McCall (second time), Grant and Tua. Bowe in Holyfield 1,3 and Hide.

'Bowe vs Golota 1 & 2 was as good as any heavyweight fights in boxing history'.

You are a touch prone to exaggeration, they weren't exactly the Thrilla in Manilla or Bowe vs Holyfield 1. They were pretty good, the first fight was clearly one sided in Golotas favour. In the rematch Bowe appeared to be too light and spindly, he showed great heart though. Save for the one knockdown Golota didn't receive an amazing amount of 'brutal' punishment in either fight.

'Lennox Lewis wanted `no-part` of any fighters who was at the top of their game in the 1990s':

Razor Ruddock (number one contender, just went distance with Tyson)
      Frank Bruno (clearly at his best the night they met, soon to be WBC champ)
      Ray Mercer (clearly at his best also)
      Tommy Morrison (Not far off his best)
      Shannon Briggs (Touted as the next best heavyweight, future champ)
      Henry Akinwande (Poor performance but he was well rated at the time)
      Andrew Golota (Had just given Bowe two beatings, many favoured him to beat Lewis)
      Evander Holyfield (was hardly far past his best having just beaten Tyson and Moorer)

He chased Tyson after the latter had beaten Bruno and Seldon. Dont forget Tyson was considered number one again by many critics after these wins. Many thought he was nearly back to his best. Lewis (I believe) was paid step aside money so that Tyson could fight Holyfield.

Plus lets face it, Lewis fought just about every leading contender this century and stopped nearly all of them.

As for facing Bowe, you may be right about the politics, I dont know....at the time I heard so much BS I didn't know what to believe. If I was either I wouldn't want to face the other. Shame it didn't happen! I'm not a Lewis nuthugger, I'd lean towards Bowe if they actually met at their peaks but I think you have been overly critical of Lewis who is clearly a hall of famer.

Comment

Leonard Robinson
        Hagler Monzon
        Sanchez Saddler
        Duran Leonard (Benny)
        Hearns Ketchel

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
          Hi Sonnybox, interesting rant there:

'Lennox Lewis jab was nothing but a paw` it was a distracker'.

Interesting thought and English, I doubt many would agree with you. Lewis is widely held to have one of the best jabs out of all the heavyweights in the 90s.

'Lewis was easily "out-jabbed" by Frank Bruno and Vitali Klitschko'.

True, Bruno did outjab him, but Lennox clearly neglected the jab for some reason that night, he wasn't the finished product when he was with Pepe Correa. As for Vitali, Lennox clearly had better days and was right to retire afterwards in his late 30s. There were many fights where Lennox showed a great jab, fast, heavy and accurate.

'Lewis just does not match-up to Bowe in any department of the sport of boxing'.

I think this is an outlandish statement. I do rate Bowe a bit higher in my ATG heavyweight list but come on!

'Lewis never in his career did he produce a performance like those that Bowe produced':

Both looked spectacular in different fights, Lewis looked terrific against Ruddock, Golota, McCall (second time), Grant and Tua. Bowe in Holyfield 1,3 and Hide.

'Bowe vs Golota 1 & 2 was as good as any heavyweight fights in boxing history'.

You are a touch prone to exaggeration, they weren't exactly the Thrilla in Manilla or Bowe vs Holyfield 1. They were pretty good, the first fight was clearly one sided in Golotas favour. In the rematch Bowe appeared to be too light and spindly, he showed great heart though. Save for the one knockdown Golota didn't receive an amazing amount of 'brutal' punishment in either fight.

'Lennox Lewis wanted `no-part` of any fighters who was at the top of their game in the 1990s':

Razor Ruddock (number one contender, just went distance with Tyson)
          Frank Bruno (clearly at his best the night they met, soon to be WBC champ)
          Ray Mercer (clearly at his best also)
          Tommy Morrison (Not far off his best)
          Shannon Briggs (Touted as the next best heavyweight, future champ)
          Henry Akinwande (Poor performance but he was well rated at the time)
          Andrew Golota (Had just given Bowe two beatings, many favoured him to beat Lewis)
          Evander Holyfield (was hardly far past his best having just beaten Tyson and Moorer)

He chased Tyson after the latter had beaten Bruno and Seldon. Dont forget Tyson was considered number one again by many critics after these wins. Many thought he was nearly back to his best. Lewis (I believe) was paid step aside money so that Tyson could fight Holyfield.

Plus lets face it, Lewis fought just about every leading contender this century and stopped nearly all of them.

As for facing Bowe, you may be right about the politics, I dont know....at the time I heard so much BS I didn't know what to believe. If I was either I wouldn't want to face the other. Shame it didn't happen! I'm not a Lewis nuthugger, I'd lean towards Bowe if they actually met at their peaks but I think you have been overly critical of Lewis who is clearly a hall of famer.
          There is always excuses for Lennox Lewis, ie he wasn`t at his best that night, he never trained, it was a lucky punch etc etc etc "Rubbish".. i was at the Lewis vs Ruddock fight and it was NOT a world title fight, it was designated as a title fight after the fight.. Razor Ruddock was "Damaged Goods" after taking 2 terrible beatings from Mike Tyson, Riddick Bowe was Undisputed Champion of the world he had 3 yes 3 mandatory defences to make, why fight Lewis for a purse of £3 million when he could fight Holyfield for $30 million, Bowe fought Jesse Ferguson because Ferguson had beaten Mercer in a final eliminator was was the IBF No1 contender, now if we are talking about ducking ones mandatorys then Lennox Lewis is the sports No1 ducker, as undisputed champion in 1999 Lewis was stripped of every version of the title for refusing to fight the No1 contenders, IBF belt for refusing to fight Chris Byrd, WBA belt for refusing to fight John Ruiz & the WBC for refusing to fight a rematch with No1 contender Vitali Klitschko... as for Lewis fighting the better opposition than Bowe, that laughable, David Tua weighed over 255lbs and was the fattest man to ever fight for the title, Morrison was at the tail-end of his career after being hammered by Michael Bent and was HIV positive, Andrew Golota was given sedative medication in his dressing room before the fight after taking a panic attack, Lewis knew of this so rightly "jumped on him", Akinwande, Grant, Botha, Butler, Jackson, Mavrovick was all class c fighters who never deserved a title fight... in 1996 Mike Tyson was champion and Lewis the No1 contender, Lennox Lewis was looking at a career highest purse of $15 million+ and a gauranteed title shot, yet he chickened out, he wanted nothing to do with the still dangerous Tyson so he sold his title shot to Holyfield for a meagre $2 million and waited another 6yrs for Tyson to completely self-destruct, Lennox Lewis fought a draw with Holyfield which most fans thought he won yet in their return fight Holyfield was clearly "Robbed" of the decision... always excuses, excuses, excuses for Lennox Lewis when the truth is that Lewis was an oppotunist who never ever fought a single fighter who was at the top of his game other than Oliver McCall in 94 and Vitali Klitschko, ... Riddick Bowe made the correct career decision by fighting Holyfield in a rematch for the bigger payday yet he is ridiculed for doing so, yet Lennox Lewis who abregated his responsibility to the sport of boxing by refusing to fight the No1 contenders is never called into question for doing it

Comment

Floyd Mayweather Jr.

VS

Pernell Whitaker

Comment

Riddick bowe looked like a fish out of water anytime a fighter boxed from the outside.A washed up tony tubbs did it and got robbed ,Evander holyfield did it in the second fight and golota did it in their series

lewis would have torn bowe a new *******,all we ever saw from bowe was that he was a very good offensive inside fighter who lacked any sort of defense whatsoever,he was a very good athlete who despite what you say didn't have that much of a chin

Comment

Originally posted by princemanspoper View Post
                Riddick bowe looked like a fish out of water anytime a fighter boxed from the outside.A washed up tony tubbs did it and got robbed ,Evander holyfield did it in the second fight and golota did it in their series

lewis would have torn bowe a new *******,all we ever saw from bowe was that he was a very good offensive inside fighter who lacked any sort of defense whatsoever,he was a very good athlete who despite what you say didn't have that much of a chin
                Bowe took the best a peak Holyfield could throw and beat Holyfield to a pulp, yet Holyfield beat Lennox Lewis to a pulp in their return fight but was "robbed" of the decision.. Bowe`s chin was good wheras Lewis chin was made of glass, when he got poleaxed by McCall he had to be helped from the ring 10 minutes after being counted out as his eyes was still glassy and he had no-legs under him, when Rahman wacked him out the referee could have counted to 100 and Lewis would not have beaten the count, Bowe is a different animal all together than McCall or Rahman, Lewis never in his career fought a fighter who would have caused Bowe problems other than the heavily sedated Golota who was never the same after his 2 fights with Bowe...

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
                  Leonard Robinson
                  Hagler Monzon
                  Sanchez Saddler
                  Duran Leonard (Benny)
                  Hearns Ketchel
                  i assume this is a joke, but the poster seems serious.

also lol at the liston-marciano one before.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                    I'm a big Bowe fan, he may even be my favorite heavyweight of the 90s. I would just lean towards him in a match with Lewis, his chin was terrific whereas Lewis's was suspect and both guys punched hard! As for skills it was close, but lets face it, it was only three years before Bowe's peak in 1991/92 where in 1988 Lewis clearly beat Bowe in the Olympics.
                    Bro, the amateurs and pros are different worlds. Mitch Green beat Ali in the amateurs, yet who the **** is Mitch Green?

Bowe would win a pro fight with Lewis, Prime v Prime. the Bowe who beat Holyfield in F1, he beats any version of Lewis ever. That Bowe is one of the best HW of alltime.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
                      Bowe took the best a peak Holyfield could throw and beat Holyfield to a pulp, yet Holyfield beat Lennox Lewis to a pulp in their return fight but was "robbed" of the decision.. Bowe`s chin was good wheras Lewis chin was made of glass, when he got poleaxed by McCall he had to be helped from the ring 10 minutes after being counted out as his eyes was still glassy and he had no-legs under him, when Rahman wacked him out the referee could have counted to 100 and Lewis would not have beaten the count, Bowe is a different animal all together than McCall or Rahman, Lewis never in his career fought a fighter who would have caused Bowe problems other than the heavily sedated Golota who was never the same after his 2 fights with Bowe...
                      Riddicke bowe's most impressive showing is against a man whom he outweighed by 30 pounds each time who twice fell into the trap of fighting a much larger heavyweight on the inside

bowe's chin was not good,taking holyfields best punches does not equal good chin,bowe always struggled greatly against a boxer who could fight from the outside

bowe never fought someone like lewis hell he didn't fight many good heavyweights all together,

No one with who doesn't have **** in their eyes could give holyfield more than 5 rounds in their rematch,where's no one in their right mind could give bowe more than 4 rounds against a washed up tony tubbs

bowe fought a man in his own size in golota and was destroyed twice

Comment

Working...
                      X