Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is It Standard For Beginners to Be Counterpunchers?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is It Standard For Beginners to Be Counterpunchers?

is this normal? My experienced sparring partner thinks I'm a counterpuncher due to my patience and caution.

I feel most comfortable potshotting or throwing 3 shots or less then moving.

Still working past the beginner's gunshyness.
    Last edited by GrandpaBernard; 09-23-2016, 12:04 AM.

actually setting things up and countering is advanced boxing. so no , it's not natural for a begginner to counter. usually they cover up and look down / away when they're getting hit.

you are just nervous and unable to make things happen without an opponent making an obvious mistake or taking a break after he's done throwing, and it's produced the "style" that your friend thinks all begginners have. your friend is likely not very experienced as well if he thinks begginners are natural counterpunchers, instead of naturally afraid to throw. very different things.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
      actually setting things up and countering is advanced boxing. so no , it's not natural for a begginner to counter. usually they cover up and look down / away when they're getting hit.

you are just nervous and unable to make things happen without an opponent making an obvious mistake or taking a break after he's done throwing, and it's produced the "style" that your friend thinks all begginners have. your friend is likely not very experienced as well if he thinks begginners are natural counterpunchers, instead of naturally afraid to throw. very different things.
      Interesting. I will spar more and find the style I develop

Comment

Beginners tend to telegraph their punches too much to be counter punchers.
        Sooner or later you learn that if you want to land punches you will have to learn to not telegraph.

If you are a beginner with no amateur or pro fights yet, you should be stickin and moving, working on steppin into your jab, catchin and blockin with your gloves, workin on your breathing and doing things to prepare for your debut.
        Your style gets developed with experience, you put the tools in your toolbox that works for you.

I'm shocked by the way modern day boxers just flick their jab out there and waste it.
        If you throw it, land it, use it as a weapon, step into it, use it to set up a hard right to the body.

Develop your style off your jab, but make it a point to land most of the jabs you throw.
        You SHOULD be able to stun a dude with your jab.

Comment

Originally posted by watchayouhead View Post
          I'm shocked by the way modern day boxers just flick their jab out there and waste it.
          If you throw it, land it, use it as a weapon, step into it, use it to set up a hard right to the body.

Develop your style off your jab, but make it a point to land most of the jabs you throw.
          You SHOULD be able to stun a dude with your jab.
          Good point and there is also a place for the flick jab and using the jab just generally as a range finder and things like this too. It's important to be versatile with the jab, not just using it as a ramrod everytime. Priority though is, as you say, to be able to hurt someone with it

Anyhoo, back to OP's question, think beginners will have their own natural styles (brawlers, runners, swarmers, etc.) and the best thing to do is to try to be as complete a fighter as possible whilst playing to natural strengths... If counterpunching seems to suit a person best, then great - work on it. But don't neglect other styles either. The best fighters are able to adapt

Comment

No, but if you can develop that at an early stage, you're gonna be ahead of the class.

Comment

Yes but gradually you must learn to be first. Waiting for the other guy is not good.

Comment

Working...
              X