Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anthony Joshua has a chance to make history this weekend.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anthony Joshua has a chance to make history this weekend.

Only 16 men in history have been unified heavyweight champion of the world:

SONNY LISTON (WBC/WBA)
    MUHAMMAD ALI x2 (WBC/WBA), (WBC/WBA)
    JOE FRAZIER (WBC/WBA)
    GEORGE FOREMAN x2 (WBC/WBA), (WBA/IBF)
    LEON SPINKS (WBC/WBA)
    MIKE TYSON x2 (WBC/WBA/IBF), (WBC/WBA)
    BUSTER DOUGLAS (WBC/WBA/IBF)
    EVANDER HOLYFIELD x3 (WBC/WBA/IBF), (WBA/IBF), (WBA/IBF)
    RIDDICK BOWE (WBC/WBA/IBF)
    MICHAEL MOORER (WBA/IBF)
    LENNOX LEWIS x2 (WBC/WBA/IBF), (WBC/IBF)
    HASIM RAHMAN (WBC/IBF)
    WLADIMIR KLITSCHKO (SUPER WBA/IBF/WBO)
    TYSON FURY (SUPER WBA/IBF/WBO)
    ANTHONY JOSHUA (SUPER WBA/IBF/WBO)
    ANDY RUIZ JR. (SUPER WBA/IBF/WBO)

But only 5 men in history have been unified heavyweight champion of the world on multiple occasions.

Muhammad Ali, George Foreman, Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield and Lennox Lewis.

This weekend, Anthony Joshua has a chance to join that elite company and become only the sixth multiple time unified heavyweight champion of the world in history.

I made a thread the other day showing the title lineage for the four major organizations at heavyweight and there are surely some very forgettable names on those lists. But when you raise the bar and only acknowledge unified heavyweight champions, all of the forgettable names are eliminated. Only the best of the best remain. When you raise the bar again, and only acknowledge multiple time unified heavyweight champions, you are left with the most elite heavyweights of the last 50+ years.

I'm rooting for Ruiz. I want to see Wilder vs. Ruiz for the undisputed title.

But if Joshua gets the win, everyone owes him massive massive respect for joining a list of such respected and legendary fighters.

Good post.
    I have no dog in the fight.
    I didn't like how AJ was abandoned by most of his diehard fans after losing.
    I always like to see a man comeback and regain glory.
    It's a 50/50 fight IMO.
    I would love to see Ruiz unify with Wilder because Hearn will have AJ vacate the WBO belt and then we are back to square 1.

Comment

I am rooting for Ruiz to make history as the only Mexican HWT to KO a gigantic British cuck twice. I do think AJ will win doe.

Comment

How is it making history if others have done it? Technically everything everyone does every day is making history if you don’t take into consideration others have done it before you.

Comment

Tyson Fury is the king of division until somebody beats him.

Comment

Best man win, but i dont feel AJ deserves to be mentioned with any of those names

Comment

Originally posted by Lopez_Boxing View Post
              Best man win, but i dont feel AJ deserves to be mentioned with any of those names
              If he wins, he deserves it. Becoming unified world heavyweight champion once isn't easy. Twice is a once in a decade kind of thing. Major respect to Joshua if he pulls it off this weekend.

Comment

Make or be history should be the catch phrase for the fight

Comment

Originally posted by WBC WBA IBF View Post
                  If he wins, he deserves it. Becoming unified world heavyweight champion once isn't easy. Twice is a once in a decade kind of thing. Major respect to Joshua if he pulls it off this weekend.
                  Kind of had an easy path. This era of HWs is very weak. Those greats had to earn it

Comment

He'll be a footnote on Ruiz Jr history making career.

Comment

Working...
                    X