How big was Jess Willard

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How big was Jess Willard

Carnera to the right is listed as 6 ft 6
    Willard now is listed as 6 ft 7 (for years they said 6 ft 5). He looks at least 6 ft 9 in this photo, considerably bigger than Carnera. He makes Baer look small, who made Louis look small.

In sports they always lie about height. I remember Ali at the beginning of his career was listed as 6 ft 2, dundee on tape said he was 6 ft 4. Foreman in his prime they said 6 ft 3, in his comeback they claimed 6 ft 4.

Jerry west the ball player said they lied about him being 6 ft 2, he said he was 6 ft 4 and 1/2.

A perfect example today is Andy Ruiz. The dudes barely 6 ft. He have seen him spar Holyfield who's 6 ft 2 and clearly taller. We have seen him stand neck and neck on TV with people who are 5 ft 11. And 6 ft 6 Joshua Tower over him, certainly more than 3 inches.

Paul Williams listed at 6 ft 1, Areolla 6 ft 4. William if he stood up is probably even taller than Areolla.

Kimmel is 5 ft 11

Max Baer is listed at 6 ft 2 1/2 even though he had considerable height on Louis.

I think Alan Minter is listed shorter than Hagler.

Jess Willard towered Jack Johnson who was over 6 feet

Comment

Why do you think they'd want to fudge heights in boxing? Do you have any theories as to what it would benefit? I have no real clue why they wold, but they seemingly fudge everything at some point in this sport

Comment

Originally posted by Mario040481 View Post
        Why do you think they'd want to fudge heights in boxing? Do you have any theories as to what it would benefit? I have no real clue why they wold, but they seemingly fudge everything at some point in this sport
        - -There are no height divisions, only weight that is the only thing boxing officials measure, and even those can be fudged.

Also Primo was growing for most of his life because of his pituitary condition.

Foreman is clearly well over Ali and Norton who are both listed at 6-3.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario040481 View Post
          The same reason they fudge heights in wrestling. Andre The Giant was not 7'5

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
            The same reason they fudge heights in wrestling. Andre The Giant was not 7'5
            so as t be more impressive to an audience? I could see that, I was just honestly curious, didn't know if it woulda been for an advantage, or a perceived one anyway,

Comment

How big was Willard?

Well, Jack Johnny was a giant, and his nickname proves it, removing all doubt. But Willard towered over the giant negro like an urchin tarrying to school.

So. How big was Willard? Larger than a giant, is the correct answer.

Comment

In case some churl is still not convinced, Willard's shoe was as long as Marciano's forearm. This disadvantage is known to be deadly.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                  How big was Willard?

Well, Jack Johnny was a giant, and his nickname proves it, removing all doubt. But Willard towered over the giant negro like an urchin tarrying to school.

So. How big was Willard? Larger than a giant, is the correct answer.
                  Lefty you have a way with words... But there is so much truth in this post.

Johnson was actually big and if he was fighting in the modern era with the kind of weight and what people aspire to, regarding training, he would probably break 200 pounds. Again, if you look at his physique he was very well built, strongly built... Sort of like Ike Eubuchi, though a bit smaller.

jeffries was a very big man. His head, his legs, his wrists... He was probably very very strong.

I have to say this: When I was fighting about we had this guy in our group who was an oakland cop. He was icy. I actually liked him, he was a great training partner. He probably weighed about 200 pounds or so. BUT he was STRONG. he had long muscles with big wrists and upper body. Thing is his strength combined with his training made him a demon to fight with. He had to take it easy (he was very gentle to his credit) not to bust people up. And weight didn't matter much! He had to take it easy if you were 250 pounds, 150 pounds, etc...

If this cop had been a boxer I doubt he would have not been able to fight heavy weight and his weight had little to do with it. So getting back to Jeffries... Jeffries was probably this kind of strong. He was also big, but watching him train a bit, one can imagine that he had a very strong punch. Jeffries was not a killer like this cop was...I mean this guy you could feel his energy across the room lol. my karate sensei was like that, when he was fighting, or angry you could feel the room change and your fear would climb unless you checked it. Just a bad feeling the Japanese call Sake.

But Jeffries was a very very strong human being by all accounts.

Comment

Jeff was a giant, but Jack Johnny could trap his arms behind his back like an urchin.

Comment

Working...
                    X