No announcement yet.

Thoughts on Canelo vs Kovalev?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DuckAdonis View Post
    Probably a Catch-weight with a rehydration clause attached to it to make Kov look like a death camp victim lol
    Canelo accepted a catchweight vs Floyd

And Kovalev would be in 188 pounds in the ring

Risk fight to the P4P King Canelo

Comment

Awesome fight, but Canelo is one belt away from undisputed at 160. I would love to see Canelo vs. Andrade and then Canelo can do whatever crazy s**t he wants to do. Smith @ 168, Kovalev @ 175, Ruiz @ Heavyweight, whatever floats his boat.

I sure hope he knows if he moves up in weight again to 168 or 175 then he’s essentially done at 160.

Not very healthy to be moving up and down in weight. It’s gonna catch up to him fast.

Comment

Originally posted by thecomedian2 View Post
        Age 36 at a CW of 172.. Kovalev will be happy about his big payday, not so much about getting pounded.
        It will be a rehydration clause

Comment

Originally posted by Mexican_Puppet View Post
          Canelo accepted a catchweight vs Floyd

And Kovalev would be in 188 pounds in the ring

Risk fight to the P4P King Canelo
          Yeah and Canelo looked awful in that fight. I would give Nelo massive props if he manages to beat Kovalev without those types of advantages like a Catch-weight or Rehydration clause. But my guess is if he fights Kov he will use those

Comment

If Canelo could legit beat Kovalev right now, especially at 175, that would be an incredible feather in his cap. Kov is still what he always was imo...especially after the Alvarez loss I think it probably humbled him...but skills wise and athletically he hasn't seemed to slip much imo. I think he didn't handle the 1st bad decision against Ward well and it sent him into a funk...but if he is motivated he is still great.

Only reasons I wouldn't be interested are the potential novelty aspects of it...if Kov is really drained...if it goes 12 rounds and Kov clearly wins but doesn't get the nod...and if Kov is back to focusing on the basics maybe he just boxes and it goes 12?

To be honest I can't see Canelo dealing with his power well enough to get inside...I'm no fan of Ward but he is a tough smart fighter and he had to take quite a bit of damage to get inside on Kov, and he was really only able to do it after 12 rounds of experience (or at least 6...but I don't think he was really able to be effective at all until the 2nd fight)...watching the Ward-Kov fights you can see how much of an impact every jab and punch would have on Ward...and Ward is naturally a bigger man than Canelo and was more used to taking bigger shots.

Kind of a fun fantasy matchup...I don't love the angle of trying to 'cherry-pick' a great fighter at the end of his career...but to be honest I don't think Kov is washed up...he has shown vulnerability lately though so a bit of an opportunist move to call him out...and if the plan is to go 12 rounds, not get KOed/KD a lot, and get an unjust decision on the cards, well that's just what I hate about boxing.

But I'd still watch the fight, don't get me wrong :0

Comment

Easy work for Kovalev

Comment

What happens is Meatnello tries everything possible to cheat. Catch weights, peds, rehydration clauses, judges, etc. but that's a fight he can't win. He will be on his back if he tries Kovalev unless he roids to the gills again.

Comment

If it is catch weight at least i hope kovalev is going to trade that belt for a good purse.if it is 175 canelo will get his head boxed off

Comment

Originally posted by ShaneMosleySr View Post
                    I think Kovalev has seen better days and if it’s a catchweight fight, I think he’s completely screwed. I remember his team saying catchweight was impossible for him back when he fought Ward the first time. So if he’s weight drained, he’s toast IMO.

But if it’s at 175, I think people might assume that Kovalev is more shot than he is. I don’t think he’s the same but his demise is a little overhyped IMO. So I see it as a competitive and fun fight if it happens.
                    Yeah Kov has been tight at 175 lbs for years. A catchweight would badly affect his chances.

Comment

Is Kovalev old enough yet?

Comment

Working...
                      X