No announcement yet.

Why did GGG turn down these fights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
    I'd say he wanted the most bang for his buck. If he is going to accept a huge risk, why not do it against the guy who comes with the highest reward (Canelo)? Charlo brings nothing to the table, he hasn't even sniffed $2M yet. Andrade?? He finally has a title, but who cares about Andrade, he's an unknown. Saunders has his own problems to sort out and would anyone really give him credit for beating D-chenko? It didn't do shyt for Jacobs.

Meanwhile, guys like Martinez, Cotto, and Canelo avoided GGG for as long as they could. Ward was willing to come down to 160 for Mayweather but not GGG. So why is ok for Ward to come down to 160 for the big money, but it's not ok for GGG to hold out for Canelo for the money? GGG also offered to come down to 154 for Floyd and we all know that wasn't going to happen.

You are becoming the new Mirko Troll Cop with all these GGG threads.
    ward said hed fight Floyd but it means 0 or nothing because Floyd said he would never fight at 160...that's the simple difference

Floyd said several times "everyone has limits and I wont go that high"...making anything ward said about it complete fantasy and null & void

golovkin chased fights at 168 with froch and Chavez and had his team saying theyd fight at 168 almost every other week with some of them insisiting it would be his "best weight"

simple, obvious, difference....but easily glossed over by the golovkin excuse makers

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
      https://www.boxingscene.com/wbc-prez...happen--133873

https://www.boxingscene.com/golovkin...happen--133201

The saunders figure was agreed to BEFORE the first Canelo fight when GGG was still saying he wanted all the belts

And there is no justification for turning down Derevyanchenko and picking an inactive JMW in Vanes. No justification at all.

Canelo had a longer layoff than GGG and he fought GGG right away.
      Didnt Goldenboy promotion pressured Golovkin and Loeffler to not take the Saunders fight? Something about not having enough time to promote the Canelo Vs GGG fight. Other reason cited was that Golovkin wanted to take a rest for a fall Canelo showdown. If he went through with the Saunders fight, he would have fought Jacobs, Saunders and Canelo within 6 months, which would be awesome for fight fans, but really taxing for a boxer.

https://www.boxingscene.com/loeffler...khstan--114770

https://www.fightsports.tv/warren-gg...saunders-deal/

Concerning the other two fights, you could say that he was coming off a loss and a 9 months layoff for the Rolls fight. And you could say that he didnt want to fight someone as dangerous for a late replacement.

If you think those are not valid reasons, thats ok. But then you should stay consistent and dont make excuses for other fighters who need a tuneup fight after a loss or dont face dangerous opponents as a late replacement.

Other than that, Golovkin is at an advanced age in terms of his boxing lifespan and nearly every boxer gets more picky with age and also more picky as soon as they made it.

However, since 2017, he fought 2 times against a p4p opponent and against the other top rated middleweight (jacobs).

Comment

The WBC mandated the fight and Loefller came right out and said that fight isn't happening. WTF are u talking about sending offers.
        I haven't seen the WBC mandate *****. They also aren't doing anything to mandate Canelo vs Charlo. And if they did they did it while Golovkin was fighting Canelo so that was just pointless since Golovkin couldn't even fight him and never had the opportunity to fight him. If he did. Tell me when?

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Henning View Post
          that excuse of "I doubt these guys beat him" doesn't fly....

I heard that same stuff back when he was avoiding lara "omg g would murder lara"...ok..maybe...but there was a time, for awhile, that lara would have been the best name on his resume.....who you think wins and how easily doesn't mean a fight shouldn't be made when it makes sense
          Curt...if he beat and stopped Lara people would give him very little credit just as they do now for the good wins GGG has. They would say Lara was too small etc.

GGG has done more than enough to warrant a lot of praise for his career. Some criticism of any fighter is valid but a lot of the stuff leveled at GGG is over the top and seems really emotionally driven.

Murray Monroe Lemieux Brook Geale...all impressive enough wins especially considering the manner is which GGG won. Yet people seem to not want to give credit for those. Look at all the overboard hate he got for sparking out Vanes...dominating a prime Curtis Stevens for your 8th best win or so is pretty good also.

Clearly beat Jacobs and Canelo twice but in efforts to hate on GGG some people change the way they score fights to try and slight him lol.

Some people just have a blind spot for GGG and see red all the time and refuse to give props where they are due.

There are some fair things to criticism him for but man a lot of the stuff is so overboard lol.

Comment

Originally posted by asgarth View Post
            Didnt Goldenboy promotion pressured Golovkin and Loeffler to not take the Saunders fight? Something about not having enough time to promote the Canelo Vs GGG fight. Other reason cited was that Golovkin wanted to take a rest for a fall Canelo showdown. If he went through with the Saunders fight, he would have fought Jacobs, Saunders and Canelo within 6 months, which would be awesome for fight fans, but really taxing for a boxer.

https://www.boxingscene.com/loeffler...khstan--114770

https://www.fightsports.tv/warren-gg...saunders-deal/

Concerning the other two fights, you could say that he was coming off a loss and a 9 months layoff for the Rolls fight. And you could say that he didnt want to fight someone as dangerous for a late replacement.

If you think those are not valid reasons, thats ok. But then you should stay consistent and dont make excuses for other fighters who need a tuneup fight after a loss or dont face dangerous opponents as a late replacement.

Other than that, Golovkin is at an advanced age in terms of his boxing lifespan and nearly every boxer gets more picky with age and also more picky as soon as they made it.

However, since 2017, he fought 2 times against a p4p opponent and against the other top rated middleweight (jacobs).
            The fight was agreed to before the Jacob's fight.

Canelo fought GGG coming off a year layoff and knee surgery.

GGG was mandated to fight Jacobs. This was when he was still doing his all the belts act and was forced to fight him. After that fight he was no longer interested in belts (he never really was tbh) and didnt follow up with the BJS fight for all the belts, turned down the mandatory with Charlo. Refused to fight his mandatory, Dervy, and instead fought Vanes and then got stripped. Didn't want the WBO mandatory with Andrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Henning View Post
              ward said hed fight Floyd but it means 0 or nothing because Floyd said he would never fight at 160...that's the simple difference

Floyd said several times "everyone has limits and I wont go that high"...making anything ward said about it complete fantasy and null & void

golovkin chased fights at 168 with froch and Chavez and had his team saying theyd fight at 168 almost every other week with some of them insisiting it would be his "best weight"

simple, obvious, difference....but easily glossed over by the golovkin excuse makers
              Froch and Chavez were A side...Ward was B side with GGG...thus the differences there.

Also Froch proved he was basically on Ward's level so GGG trying to fight Froch and willing to be the B side there is not really a slight on GGG at all.

Btw to your earlier post - Ward was already under contract with Kovalev with the Smith fight. Ward said he wanted 3 step up fights before Kovalev and no one gave him any hate for that. Smith was the first step up fight and Ward was testing out the higher weight. Come on man.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckAdonis View Post
                I haven't seen the WBC mandate *****. They also aren't doing anything to mandate Canelo vs Charlo. And if they did they did it while Golovkin was fighting Canelo so that was just pointless since Golovkin couldn't even fight him and never had the opportunity to fight him. If he did. Tell me when?
                I posted the article showing they mandated it. I didn't know you were such a GGG fangirl you deny reality. I thought you were one of the more level headed ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing1013 View Post
                  Curt...if he beat and stopped Lara people would give him very little credit just as they do now for the good wins GGG has. They would say Lara was too small etc.

GGG has done more than enough to warrant a lot of praise for his career. Some criticism of any fighter is valid but a lot of the stuff leveled at GGG is over the top and seems really emotionally driven.

Murray Monroe Lemieux Brook Geale...all impressive enough wins especially considering the manner is which GGG won. Yet people seem to not want to give credit for those. Look at all the overboard hate he got for sparking out Vanes...dominating a prime Curtis Stevens for your 8th best win or so is pretty good also.

Clearly beat Jacobs and Canelo twice but in efforts to hate on GGG some people change the way they score fights to try and slight him lol.

Some people just have a blind spot for GGG and see red all the time and refuse to give props where they are due.

There are some fair things to criticism him for but man a lot of the stuff is so overboard lol.
                  at the time lara was being thrown around he would have DEFINITLEY been the best name on golovkins resume...and lara had headlined many cards on premium and network cable by then...he was the #1 guy a division lower.......he had no prob fighting gabe Rosado though did he?

the lara fight was there and it made sense....but it didn't for golovkin and hbo because lara was known as tricky and a spoiler and hbo wanted a superstar to build so they matched him with ko's waiting to happen

maybe lara would have been easy work too....but that doesn't mean it shouldn't have happened

he absolutely did NOT beat canelo in the 2nd fight...furthest thing from it...if you think he clearly won we cant continue this, or any, further conversations because we have completely different views on the sport....

fact is when he finally stepped up he got a draw, a loss and a razor close win over Jacobs....

I'm sorry but beating Curtis stevens means nothing to me....neither did beating kell brook in what looked like a circus side show where brook was barely beat up and even acted surprised his team stopped it.......geale and murray are ok at best....nothing legendary.....when he had a chance to be legendary he was basically good to ok....

Comment

Andrade just got a belt a few fights ago and Charlo just moved up recently as well. They’ve been potential opponents for GGG for months not years. Instead of fighting them, he had a rematch with Álvarez and then a soft touch in a comeback fight, something that’s totally common in boxing. Now he wants to fight Álvarez, a universally top three P4P guy, a third time, before fighting Andrade or Charlo. Its hard to call that a duck when he’s trying to felt the better opponent. It’s also worth pointing out that Charlo is on a rival network.

Golovkin had BJS as a backup plan to a rematch with Canelo when it seemed like that fight might not happen. It happened so they didn’t fight. Sanders is now in a different division and the two teams still had discussions about a possible fight earlier this year. BJS has also admitted that he turned down a chance to fight GGG earlier in his career because he felt he was too green.

GGG didn’t fight Derevynchenko because the mandatory was ordered to come before a 45-percent split with the biggest start in boxing. No one would risk a 45-percent split with Canelo to fight Derevynchenko.

So tell me the reason he turned down these fights:

Andrade
                    Charlo
                    Saunders
                    Derevynchenko

(I'm not even gonna put Ward in there because we all know why he didn't want that smoke)

He went from nobody wants to fight me to I only want to fight nobodies and Canelo

Comment

The WBC mandated the fight and Loefller came right out and said that fight isn't happening. WTF are u talking about sending offers.
                      That was a weird mandate. Originally, Charlo was to fight the winner. Canelo wins and suddenly they want him to fight the loser? Makes no sense.

Comment

Working...
                      X