How to beat the shoulder roll

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good jab and timing is what's needed

Comment

cotto floyd round 8 seems to fit more with the thread to be honest. Honestly if cotto was more active like he was in that round he could have won the fight, but he gassed

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
        The one thing Canelo should have taken from Cotto was stepping in with the jab, Canelo has a solid one but it's stepping in that allowed Cotto to neutralize the pull counter and make Mayweather think he was in comfortable range. As a fan of Canelo that was disappointing but I feel that he'll improve from that.

Comment

There are acouple of ways that I found. When you hit on them I'll speak up. I'd tell you straight out, but then I'd have to kill you............Rockin'

Comment

Floyd isn't his dad and Manny isn't Sugar Ray.

Also worth remembering about the shoulder roll is that it is more than just Mayweather Jr's chosen style, he is arguably the best at it so to solve the shoulder roll isn't necessarily to say you have solved Floyd, if you know what I mean.

I agree with Tenma that some of Cotto's success against Floyd's shoulder roll at times could have been down to his stepping in behind the jab, but for the most part he couldn't come through.

The shoulder roll itself as a style can be dealt with (Broner-Maidana), but Floyd's use of it is clearly a little harder. Maybe to flat out smother him, clearly outwork him and don't let him get set...But its obviously not that simple.

Comment

I'm no Mayweather fan..but he's much, much more talented than his dad or Broner.

Comment

Originally posted by twosweethooks View Post
                Go study the tape on youtube of Sugar Ray Leonard vs Floyd Mayweather SR.

SR stomped the S### outa Mayweather

Sr KNOWS PAC can do to his boy what SR did to him.
                3 things

floyd is significantly better in every way than his dad
                srl is significantly better in every way than Manny
                just because srl says this is what he woul do that doesn't mean it will work or any other fighter could do it.

Comment

Originally posted by RightStraight View Post
                  It's not this impenetrable defense everyone makes it out to be. I don't get why I'm seeing it more and more. It works for Mayweather because his family used it for years before teaching it to him, letting him figure it out or learn it's mistakes and such.
                  Theres a number of defenses americans use that will soon comeback.. Why is it when american fighters other than mayweatheruse the shoulder roll people start complaining.

no one complains when mexican fighters fight like each other???

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
                    Yea and also vs Mayweather JR, a heavy dose of father time is needed to pull it off. Pacman had the workrate to pull it off maybe back in 2009, but not the ring IQ to deal with Mayweather JR adapting. Also Floyd is not going to use the shoulder roll much anyway vs pacman if it happen. I expect the high guard to be used more often.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                      There are acouple of ways that I found. When you hit on them I'll speak up. I'd tell you straight out, but then I'd have to kill you............Rockin'
                      Something tells me I gotta watch Leo Dorin vs Spaddy again to see what youre talking about..

Comment

Working...
                      X