No announcement yet.

Improve my pullups and nutrition

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improve my pullups and nutrition

I used to be able to do about 6 sets of 10 pull-ups at any given time, that was when I weighed about 168, probably, maybe less, I can't remember for sure. That was about 2 years ago. Now, I am at 196, I was 198 a few days ago I have slowly been tapering down, eating salad everyday. I currently bench 215 max, which I am moving up pretty rapidly right now as I am working out 5 days a week and taking a break for 2. Ideally I would like to fight at cruiser weight so I have room to body build a little. Can anyone give me any suggestions on some exercises I can do in addition to pull-ups to help me improve my pull-ups as right now I am currently sucking at them. Maybe a light impact exercise that would be able to contribute to my abilities and help me build back up to my old pull-up standards or exceed them. Ideally I will settle for being able to do just 12 at a time if I can maintain this weight, what muscle groups should I work to achieve this? Does being slightly fat hurt, I feel more confident in the ring as I don't want to fight below cruiser because I can't achieve the body I want at below 175. Does the fat to muscle ratio really matter?
    Last edited by tdogg93; 01-30-2017, 11:07 AM.

Originally posted by tdogg93 View Post
    I used to be able to do about 6 sets of 10 pull-ups at any given time, that was when I weighed about 168, probably, maybe less, I can't remember for sure. That was about 2 years ago. Now, I am at 196, I was 198 a few days ago I have slowly been tapering down, eating salad everyday. I currently bench 215 max, which I am moving up pretty rapidly right now as I am working out 5 days a week and taking a break for 2. Ideally I would like to fight at cruiser weight so I have room to body build a little. Can anyone give me any suggestions on some exercises I can do in addition to pull-ups to help me improve my pull-ups as right now I am currently sucking at them. Maybe a light impact exercise that would be able to contribute to my abilities and help me build back up to my old pull-up standards or exceed them. Ideally I will settle for being able to do just 12 at a time if I can maintain this weight, what muscle groups should I work to achieve this? Does being slightly fat hurt, I feel more confident in the ring as I don't want to fight below cruiser because I can't achieve the body I want at below 175. Does the fat to muscle ratio really matter?
    Look bro il give you a quick and simple answer, the reason you cant do as much pulls ups as before is cause u weight more than you did before, more weight ,the more strengh it is necessary tou bring your body up, as you diet down u will notice it will become way esier to do the exercise.

As for the diet it doesnt really mater wtf you are eating, just make sure you are at a caloric defict. Altho, its much better for your body if you eat healthy.

As for a exercise to help with the pull ups... Just do more pulls ups, thats it. You wanna get better at a certain exercise, the more efficient and fast way for that ,is to do that exercise more. You can use some progression exercises to help you, like use a chair to support some of your lower body and do as many reps as you can. But in a core sense, just keep doing more pull ups.

Comment

Originally posted by Unbirth View Post
      As for the diet it doesn't really mater wtf you are eating, just make sure you are at a caloric deficit. Altho, its much better for your body if you eat healthy.

As for a exercise to help with the pull ups... Just do more pulls ups, thats it. You wanna get better at a certain exercise, the more efficient and fast way for that ,is to do that exercise more. You can use some progression exercises to help you, like use a chair to support some of your lower body and do as many reps as you can. But in a core sense, just keep doing more pull ups.
      That's right. Put a pullup bar near the bathroom and every time you go past it, do 5 pullups. Keep a weight vest there, do a couple of weighted pullups everytime you go past there

As for diet, it really does matter what kind of food you are eating. The old school way of thinking was that: 'if the furnace burns hot enough, anything will burn', but that is just not true. This is why almost all pro boxers have a nutritionist on their team - BECAUSE IT MAKES A POSITIVE DIFFERENCE TO FUEL YOUR BODY CORRECTLY

Comment

Originally posted by HeadBodyBodyBody View Post
        That's right. Put a pullup bar near the bathroom and every time you go past it, do 5 pullups. Keep a weight vest there, do a couple of weighted pullups everytime you go past there

As for diet, it really does matter what kind of food you are eating. The old school way of thinking was that: 'if the furnace burns hot enough, anything will burn', but that is just not true. This is why almost all pro boxers have a nutritionist on their team - BECAUSE IT MAKES A POSITIVE DIFFERENCE TO FUEL YOUR BODY CORRECTLY
        If the sole propose is to lose weight, in this case fat, eating at a caloric defict independently of the food will make that happend, that was my whole point, at which i add that eating healthy is always better.

You shouldnt really respond in such an arrongant way, especially when you dont know wtf u talking about. Makes you sound like a dumbass

Comment

Originally posted by Unbirth View Post
          If the sole propose is to lose weight, in this case fat, eating at a caloric defict independently of the food will make that happend, that was my whole point, at which i add that eating healthy is always better.

You shouldnt really respond in such an arrongant way, especially when you dont know wtf u talking about. Makes you sound like a dumbass
          But maybe I am a dumbass... haha!And yeah, I suppose it did come across as a bit arrogant maybe

You're right, and this journal article proves it: http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056...icleBackground
          The types of macronutrients in a diet did not significantly affect weight loss for the people they tested, it was all about calorific deficit

The problem, as I see it, is that this guy's not only looking for weight loss. I presume he would like to perform well too? But I take your point. In the first instance, the crucial thing to consider is calories in/out

Comment

Working...
          X