No announcement yet.

why aren't industry articles titling, "Lara Wants Golovkin At 160" - Shields

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by New England View Post
    it's pretty obvious if you spend enough time on the internet following boxing that some of black fans in boxing fear golovkin. it's fear. they're afraid, and they project that fear in the form of all of these ridiculous biases you see.

no different from whites who hated floyd mayweather for no damn reason other than he was black and good.
    LMAOOO What!? No one is afraid of Golovkin. Every black person I know was begging and praying for Ward to face and beat him.
    Due me a favor, NEVER speak for people you know nothing about.

Comment

• i am a Golovkin fan, i do want to see him fight Lara, Jacobs, Saunders, etc.
      AS soon as possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post
        this just isn't true. he's never fought a ranked middleweight in his life.

erislandy lara is not a p4p elite fighter. weight classes matter.

so proska,rosado,adama,monroe,rubio,lemiuex,macklin.g eale,murray,wade were p4p elite fighters?

cut the bull ****.

lara has been on hbo and showtime just as many times as golovkin has.

and he has been on ppv the same amount of times as golovkin.

lara is wba champ at 154. ggg is wba champ at 160.

stop acting like champions from a division below don't move up and fight the champ a divison up.

weight classes matter?

where is your outrage for ward vs kovalev? since weight classes matter

why do you wanna see golovkin vs canelo? if weight classes matter

lara fought canelo to a draw basically.

but you're cool with golovkin vs canelo but not golovkin vs lara.

you are a hypocrite
        Last edited by bluebeam; 05-30-2016, 03:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
          Golovkin brings nowhere near the money to the table that his camp want to believe that he brings. Mayweather-Berto had ringside seats going for $1500, with the cost being $125 to even be in the building; what Golovkin fan out there is honestly going to go into their pocket and pay $1500 (plus the cost of room in Las Vegas, whatever travel costs, and entertainment cost) to see Golovkin fight who wouldn't have paid that money to simply come out to see Floyd?

The Golovkin "pie" is nowhere near as big as Golovkin fans claim it to be:

-outside of the $2m NY gate mentioned by Tom Loeffler, K2 has never made mention of any dollar figure that Golovkin has been able to draw on his gates

-With Loeffler again being the only source, Golovkin's 150k PPV buys (~$3m into the fight pot, once everyone else gets paid) was so star-making that HBO decided to immediately move him back to premium cable on not try to build things on PPV.

Once all of the outside en****** have been paid, I doubt that a Golovkin fight, sans the PPV, has ever actually cleared $3m in fight proceeds. If Golovkin were actually the draw that people seem to claim he is, Billy Joe Saunders couldn't hold him hostage over fighting in the UK.

What's in it for Golovkin? The opportunity to end any doubt about his actual fighting ability in the non-casual boxing audience; even Max Kellerman, with his boxing reputation on the line, is no longer willing to push the "OMG, Golovkin destroys another guy! isn't he marvelous!" story.

With Lara on the resume, the boxing world can point to an actual legit guy that he's throttled (if things go the way folks here believe, which I doubt) when trying to sell Golovkin to the broader sports world.
          I think you're missing my point. I understand all of that. What I'm saying is GGG cares about middleweight titles and big names right now. All I'm doing is trying to think like he would if I was in his position. I would want to unify my division, and if guys were holding that up with ducking... I'd try to fight guys that bring the best payday.

That's just me though, man. Everyone is different. Like I said before, I would love to see GGG against a guy with Lara's skills. I'm just not sure he's going to give that to us right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by PivotandRoll View Post
            Why are you suggesting I would not like to see the fight? Yes Lara may hit the deck ...Even get knocked out...But I think he can win and If GGG walks in without respect Lara may clip him.
            I didn't. I said I wanted to see the fight just like you.

Comment

• Originally posted by ThumperMcDougal View Post
              I think you're missing my point. I understand all of that. What I'm saying is GGG cares about middleweight titles and big names right now. All I'm doing is trying to think like he would if I was in his position. I would want to unify my division, and if guys were holding that up with ducking... I'd try to fight guys that bring the best payday.

That's just me though, man. Everyone is different. Like I said before, I would love to see GGG against a guy with Lara's skills. I'm just not sure he's going to give that to us right now.
              The big names won't come with the strategy that Golovkin and his camp have been running, imo.

Floyd Mayweather was able to become a massive box office star because his persona and charisma, but he wouldn't have even gotten that chance if he hadn't proven that he could really fight beforehand (taking on Genaro Hernandez after 17 fights, utterly destroying 130 monster Diego Corrales, and then beating the 135 kingpin in his first fight at lightweight made it so that there was no doubt).

K2 has tried to shortcut that process, with clearly not good result; without the solid, tough names on his resume, the money won't follow as Golovkin fishes for fights. Fighting Lara would start to correct that

Comment

The big names won't come with the strategy that Golovkin and his camp have been running, imo.

Floyd Mayweather was able to become a massive box office star because his persona and charisma, but he wouldn't have even gotten that chance if he hadn't proven that he could really fight beforehand (taking on Genaro Hernandez after 17 fights, utterly destroying 130 monster Diego Corrales, and then beating the 135 kingpin in his first fight at lightweight made it so that there was no doubt).

K2 has tried to shortcut that process, with clearly not good result; without the solid, tough names on his resume, the money won't follow as Golovkin fishes for fights. Fighting Lara would start to correct that
                Solid point

Comment

First off , the fact that Wilder's hate is somehow justified while Golovkin not getting any critique is okay (Wilder was definitely brought along slowly as a pro, but I doubt that a case can be made that Wilder's five best opponents were honestly worse than Golovkin's five best opponents in quality.

Stiverne, Duhaupas, Szpilka, Molina, and Scott is a far tougher string of opponents than Murray, Lemieux, Geale, Rosado, and Macklin.

Broner jumped the shark once he went on his "Can man" rant, got pushback for it, and then went right back to it on the biggest stage that he's likely had; his hate, at that point, was earned by something that he actually did.
                  GGG 's raped over the coals on here daily...what the hell are you talking about?

Your comparison between HW's and MW's is a joke.

The guy has never beaten a great fighter and people actually though Scott took a dive. I don't hate him, he's humble, talks about wanting the fights and proving himself. But all he has proved so far is he can knock out men he out weighs by 20-30 lbs who aren't even top level fighters and that he can only do it with a long right hand.

So Broner's hate was by demonstrating that he would not discriminate against any fighters and would take all challenges and people just hated that he's confident?

See? You literally have it backwards and it's sad. There is no power in boxing holding down black fighters, in fact there are surprising little "powers" in boxing. In fact I would argue there are people constantly looking for the new "Tyson", the new "Ali", the new "Leonard" and now "Floyd". Why didn't Chris Algieri not have great backing as a boxer if white fighter are so coveted?

Comment

Working...
                  X