No announcement yet.

Why The “Rusian Collusion” will be dismissed by Mueller

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
    You're too good a poster to waste your time on such a base level, played out, troll.
    Well said.

Comment

Here it is:

Well sure, we filed an indictment. And yeah, we took a victory lap in the big bells-n-whistles Main Justice press conference. But that doesn’t mean we, like, intended to have a trial . . .

That seems to be the Justice Department’s position on its mid-February publicity stunt, the indictment of 13 Russians and three Russian businesses for interfering in the 2016 election.

When Mueller brought the only case he’s charged that involves Russian interference in the 2016 campaign, we noted that it was more theater than prosecution. The Russian defendants are all beyond U.S. jurisdiction, so there would be no trial, and thus no possibility that the allegations would ever be tested in court. It seemed like a perfect opportunity for the special counsel to try to control the narrative: an indictment asserting something that, however highly probable, would be very difficult to prove beyond a reasonable doubt in a criminal trial — namely, that the Russian regime meddled in the U.S. election.

Alas, figuring that he was playing with the house money, Mueller made a reckless bet: He charged not only Russian individuals but three Russian businesses. A business doesn’t have the same risks as a person. A business can’t be thrown in jail. And while members of Mueller’s prosecutorial stable have a history of putting real businesses out of business, a business that is run by a Putin crony and serves as a front for Kremlin operations is not too worried about that either.

So . . . guess what? One of those Russian businesses, Concord Management and Consulting, wants its day in court. It has retained the Washington law firm of Reed Smith, two of whose partners, Eric Dubelier and Katherine Seikaly, have told Mueller that Concord is ready to have its trial — and by the way, let’s see all the discovery the law requires you to disclose, including all the evidence you say supports the extravagant allegations in the indictment.

Needless to say, Mueller’s team is not happy about this development since this is not a case they figured on having to prosecute to anything more than a successful press conference. So, they have sought delay on the astonishing ground that the defendant has not been properly served — notwithstanding that the defendant has shown up in court and asked to be arraigned.

Understand, service of process is simply the means by which a party seeks what Mueller has already got: the opposing party’s appearance in the lawsuit. But Mueller’s argument is so priceless we can’t let it go unstated: In order to serve the defendants in a criminal case in which Mueller alleges that Russia is an adversary government that conducted espionage operations against the American election, the Justice Department sought the assistance of . . . yes . . . the government of Russia. I know you’ll be shocked to hear this, but DOJ says Russia never got back to them.

Something tells me that Concord’s appearance in court is Russia’s way of getting back to them.

The federal court in the District of Columbia has scheduled Concord’s arraignment for Wednesday, so Mueller filed his papers late last Friday to try to get the matter postponed. But, as Politico’s Josh Gerstein reports, on Saturday evening, Judge Dabney Friedrich curtly denied Mueller’s request. Mueller’s prosecutors had suggested that weeks of briefing were necessary to probe the question of whether Concord had been served properly. As Concord has voluntarily appeared, however, it is not apparent why that question needs examination — if he wants to stand on ceremony, Mueller could just hand the lawyers a copy of the indictment when they see each other in court this week.

In fact, though, Concord’s lawyers have been scrutinizing the indictment very carefully, and making demands for discovery that they say Mueller has ignored for weeks. To put it mildly, this is not a case the special counsel is anxious to try; he is even less thrilled at the prospect of disclosing his evidence and investigative files to a business controlled by Yevgeny Prigozhin. Apart from being close to Putin, Prigozhin is personally charged as a defendant in the case — he controls not just Concord but all three businesses charged in the indictment.

By indicting Russian businesses that belong to a Kremlin-connected defendant who cannot be forced to leave Russia, Mueller risked exactly what has happened: one of the businesses showing up to contest the case at no risk, in effect forcing Mueller to show this Kremlin-connected defendant what he’s got, even though he has no chance of getting the Kremlin-connected defendant convicted and sentenced to prison.

The surest way to put an end to this unwelcome turn of events would be to dismiss the indictment — or at least drop the charges against the three businesses so Prigozhin and the Kremlin can’t use them to force Mueller’s hand. Of course, that would be very embarrassing. But as all prosecutors are taught from their first day on the job: Never indict a case unless you are prepared to try the case.

Source, full story:
      https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/...ourt-manafort/

4D chess by mueller perhaps? nah i don't believe he's smart enough. but i'm certain team D(elusional) has already entertained such nonsense. or are comically unaware of this because they still keep bragging about the indictments.
      Last edited by John Barron; 05-22-2018, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Barron View Post

4D chess by mueller perhaps? nah i don't believe he's smart enough. but i'm certain team D(elusional) has already entertained such nonsense. or are comically unaware of this because they still keep bragging about the indictments.
        Iirc, none of the D superfans even tried to address it.

Also, I believe that's about the time when MCC put me on Ignore.

The way I figure it, when that mega-superfan admits the wheels have come off the Mueller investigation, it's all over but the crying.

Comment

Iirc, none of the D superfans even tried to address it.

Also, I believe that's about the time when MCC put me on Ignore.

The way I figure it, when that mega-superfan admits the wheels have come off the Mueller investigation, it's all over but the crying.
          MCC is a clown. at one point he admitted that he doesn't talk about black people problems in front of whitey out of pride.

Comment

Originally posted by John Barron View Post
            MCC is a clown. at one point he admitted that he doesn't talk about black people problems in front of whitey out of pride.
            He's one of the most racist posters here, and that's no easy task.

Comment

Working...
            X