Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Andre Ward is Not Convinced Yarde is Ready For Sergey Kovalev

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Andre Ward is Not Convinced Yarde is Ready For Sergey Kovalev

THEY say he who dares wins, and Anthony Yarde really is pushing that mantra to the limit by taking on WBO light-heavyweight champion Sergey Kovalev in Russia on August 24. Last night, the worst kept secret in boxing was finally confirmed: Yarde will be travelling almost 2,000 miles east to lock horns with the experienced Kovalev, 36, in his maiden world-title bout.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Fair point...ironic though considering Ward decided on Paul Smith, Barrera (good choice) and then Brand as his 3 tune ups to get ready for Kov...maybe if he prepared a bit better himself those first 6 rounds would have gone differently and he could have won a legit decision in the first fight

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing1013 View Post
      Fair point...ironic though considering Ward decided on Paul Smith, Barrera (good choice) and then Brand as his 3 tune ups to get ready for Kov...maybe if he prepared a bit better himself those first 6 rounds would have gone differently and he could have won a legit decision in the first fight
      Ward had the experience at 168, so he had that experience, he just fought some stiff to get in shape and work angles.

Kinda like Fury vs Pianeta ect...before Wilder.

But Yarde has no experience of that A level, nor B tbh.

That's what Ward meant.

That being said, Kova is far from unbeatable, I can see him getting that Alvarez first fight treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyBoxing View Post
        Ward had the experience at 168, so he had that experience, he just fought some stiff to get in shape and work angles.

Kinda like Fury vs Pianeta ect...before Wilder.

But Yarde has no experience of that A level, nor B tbh.

That's what Ward meant.

That being said, Kova is far from unbeatable, I can see him getting that Alvarez first fight treatment.
        yep not a complete apples to apples comparison...still stand by my point that moving up in weight after a long layoff/injuries to face the best and best puncher at 175...and fighting 2/3 guys who are not solid...it certainly didn't seem to help Ward much in his first fight with Kov...and that he in a way seems to be giving Yarde advice that he didn't really follow himself.

I agree that Kov is not immune to getting the first Alvarez fight treatment...I personally expect him to put in a good camp at home and get a KO...but I could see him getting put down too...if so he maybe should hang them up.

Comment

Only person who can have any real faith in him are himself and Ajaye.

I don’t see how anyone else can. Confidence must all come from the gym.

If he was to fight Hosea Burton I would say that was a stratospheric step up.

I don’t have the vocabulary to describe what a step up Kova is.

Dunno how you figure out odds on a fight like this. It would be like a quality donkey winning all his donkey races easily but then they throw him in at Royal Ascot

Comment

you have to take your opportunity in boxing you have a short shelf life so why not go for it , he might never get another shot at the title lots of fighter never in there entire career.

Comment

Well, Ward is not the only one who isn't convinced.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing1013 View Post
                Not comparable whatsoever. Ward had already cleaned out super middleweight, beating Froch, Kessler, Abraham and then Dawson, who had just beat Hopkins.
                He was also a gold medal amateur.
                Yards has no experience of top level at either amateur or pro!

Comment

Originally posted by yard man View Post
                  you have to take your opportunity in boxing you have a short shelf life so why not go for it , he might never get another shot at the title lots of fighter never in there entire career.
                  Of course he’d get another shot. He’s 26, unbeaten and high in the rankings.

Comment

I really dislike Tunde Ajaye, I think he talks absolute ****, so I’ll find it funny if Yarde gets laid out. Kovalev will always carry power and is coming off a decent win over Barrera. It’s inexplicable why Yarde hasn’t faced any former champion or better test before taking on the big one.

Comment

Working...
                    X