What era was the last really competitive HW division

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
    In what sense, please explain.
    Just the way people overate tysons 2-3 year stretch when he was beating cans.Granted his win over spinks was fantastic apart from that his resume isnt as special and his skills were overblown.

He lost in his prime to buster douglas. Hate when people say his prime stoped when rooney left, no im sorry but at 23-24 you simply cannot be past prime yet.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
      You said the most competitive era was the early 90s, not just the 90s.

Tua wasnt anywhere near the world class mix till about 97/98.

Either you know boxing or you dont. The history section is for those that do.
      So you want to nitpick..

By the time Holyfield Tyson happened, the other guys I mentioned were contenders

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
        So you want to nitpick..

By the time Holyfield Tyson happened, the other guys I mentioned were contenders
        what has that got to do with what I just said? did it take you a week to look up boxrec lol

Comment

Originally posted by amuroray View Post
          Just the way people overate tysons 2-3 year stretch when he was beating cans.Granted his win over spinks was fantastic apart from that his resume isnt as special and his skills were overblown.

He lost in his prime to buster douglas. Hate when people say his prime stoped when rooney left, no im sorry but at 23-24 you simply cannot be past prime yet.
          I think he beat whoever was there. He basically cleaned the entire division out when he captured all the belts.

Comment

Yep and became lineal champion by knocking out Spinks.

Comment

Its hard to pick an exact time when things were at their best, much easier to see when things are at their worse.

There has been some discussion of Tyson, well Tyson cleaned out the division from the skilled guys in the 80's who were getting past it. He handled that job by showing phenominal skills in the process and overwhelming all who got in his way. This paved the way for fresh blood to come into the division.

Comment

70's and 90's were great era's.

Comment

Originally posted by amuroray View Post

How was his win over Spinks fantastic? The man retired and King called him back on short notice for Millions of dollars. He took a body shot and ran - exactly what king wanted.

Comment

I think there have been two great heavyweight era's - 1970's and 1990's. The two worst era's by comparison are probably mid-late 50's and the post-Lewis era. I think Tyson's era was pretty underrated. Sure, there were no great fighters but Tony Tubbs, Pinklon Thomas, Tony Tucker for example were very good fighters.

70's probably the best overall because you've got a definite 3 of the top 10 ever (4 if you count Holmes) whereas the 90's had probably 2. Bowe was a waste of talent but for a small window capable of beating nearly any heavyweight in history.

It's a shame in the 90's we never got to see any fights between Bowe, Foreman and Tyson. Even any of those against Ray Mercer would have been fun and then you've got the case of Ibeabuchi who lost his mind but overall great era for the big men.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
                      I think there have been two great heavyweight era's - 1970's and 1990's. The two worst era's by comparison are probably mid-late 50's and the post-Lewis era. I think Tyson's era was pretty underrated. Sure, there were no great fighters but Tony Tubbs, Pinklon Thomas, Tony Tucker for example were very good fighters.

70's probably the best overall because you've got a definite 3 of the top 10 ever (4 if you count Holmes) whereas the 90's had probably 2. Bowe was a waste of talent but for a small window capable of beating nearly any heavyweight in history.

It's a shame in the 90's we never got to see any fights between Bowe, Foreman and Tyson. Even any of those against Ray Mercer would have been fun and then you've got the case of Ibeabuchi who lost his mind but overall great era for the big men.
                      The early to mid 80's had a lot of talent but to little dedication, and to much addiction. It's a shame that era never really applied itself as a whole. If it had it would have been viewed much differently.

Comment

Working...
                      X