No announcement yet.

Boxing produces yet another disgusting Display

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
    115-112 for Kovalev to 114-113 for Ward was the range of reasonable scores. I think the outrage has to do with Ward had less margin for error and all 3 scores leaned towards his direction. Maybe a bias? possibly. But bad scorecards? Not at all. They were reasonable.

They were terrible scorecards. No matter how you twist and turn things, there's no way Ward gets 7 rounds.

Unless something's 'cooking'.

Comment

I haven't seen this fight yet. I'll watch it for free when they show it again next weekend. From what I am reading it sounds like the majority of posters think Kovalev was robbed. If I agree he was robbed after watching the fight I will leave Kovalev at number 2 pound for pound where he was going into the fight. I had Ward at 9th pound for pound so I'll raise him up to 7th for putting up a good fight. GGG will remain number 1 pound for pound and most certainly won't be replaced by Ward. One thing that makes me think Kovalev should have won is so few Ward fans are cheering about the win and how he schooled Kovalev. Even Tyrone Biggums is missing.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
        From Mayweather v Pacquiao last year, which was a sparring session between two multi-millionaires to the supposed "fight for the hardcore" we had last night, boxing has turned into a joke.

This has probably been the worst 18 month period in my life time for the sport, at a time when the heavyweight champion has spent more time on coke then in the ring and there hasn't been a single stand out ppv.

Last night was the lowest of the low. First off, there was the incomprehensible robbery of Hooker v Perez and then came Ward v Kovalev. This is a title fight for the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP yet every important official involved was an American? This would be ok if both fighters were non-American but the challenger, the darling of the promotion was ... that's right American.

That stinks right off the bat.

This is not only bad for Kovalev, who in the eyes of most will still be champion but it is yet another low brow advertisement for a sport which is suffering and on life support in it's spiritual home of the USA.

I mean, last night wasn't even that close.
        Main Events was the promoter for this event...Their fighter is Kov, not Ward. So the 'darling' of the promotion was actually Kov, as the promoter promotes Kov and not Ward.

Comment

Originally posted by yoz View Post
          Let's be just be honest here, we see these kind of decisions/shady actions week in, week out. Its nothing new.

I had the fight pretty close, with Kovalev ahead by a couple. Ward had the momentum down the stretch, and clawed back some rounds. Still, my gripe was the officiating. The damn holding is a staple of Ward's career; yet he's NEVER called out for it!

That's because he wasn't the one holding. Derpdeederp.

Watch the fight mate. Actually watch what's happening in the clinch rather than just going with your preconceived notion that it has to be Ward holding if there is a clinch.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
            Gareth Davies from The Telegraph, who probably do the best reporting on boxing here in the UK, had rounds 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8 and 10 for Kovalev. That's 7 rounds, at least for of which are clear (rounds 1, 2, 3 and 6). The 5 remaining rounds Ward won, had only one clear imo and that's the last one. Round 11 was good but I gave it to Ward. The other 3 rounds could have gone either way or even.

Kovalev won and in the eyes of most who know the sport, he won clearly.

I for one would not like a rematch unless it takes place with all 3 judges being non-American, the ref being non-American and strict controls and watch over what the judges are up to in fight week and where they are going/who they are meeting.
            They should never had 3 U.S judges. But Kovalev didn't win that fight, and to say he won it clearly is absolutely ridiculous.

Too many people are swayed by aggression from an exciting fighter who's a huge puncher. His style is eye catching. But this is boxing. If you look at it in it's purest form, Andre clearly won.

Paulie M was right in what he said. You can't just give a guy a round based on aggression alone. He also has to be landing the more effective shots. That's not what happened. Andre had him pouring forward, but he was missing and then getting countered. In one of the rounds Kovalev threw 10 shots in succession but only landed 1. Andre frustrated him, and he landed body shots and little subtle shots before spinning away. All the more effective shots in the second half of the fight came from Sergey. People can't appreciate what they're watching. To many people, Andre is boring and negative. But again, looking at boxing in it's purest form, there was only one winner. I suggest you watch the fight again without being influenced by anything.

Comment

Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
              As soon as I saw the Perez fight being scored a draw, I said 'Kovalev is not getting a decision on this card'.

To me he clearly won the fight by dominating the first half of the fight (won 5 of the first 6 rounds) while Ward looked genuinely scared at times.

In both fights, the foreign fighter was unfairly treated in favour of the American fighter on the American network.
              I have not spoken to a single person outside of this forum who believes Ward won. Even those on here who say they think Ward won knows that he didn't but the internet provides them with anonymity so they are able to say what they want.

I bet in real life they are saying "yeah Kovalev won man".

In terms of round scoring, unless someone is biased based on nationality or race can not give Ward more than one possible round during the first 6.

I had it 5-1.

That means Kovalev was up 5 points. Ward would have to unanimously win the next 6 rounds to just start drawing the fight.

So that means that the judges somehow found a way to give Ward 2 rounds in the first 6 and every damn round that followed lol

Let that sink in.

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
              I I told everyone this would happen, but people were disrespectful and labelled me a troll. I said kov would drop him early and people would be shocked at how bad ward would look, and It would go the distance. I I said don't put any money on it after I saw the four American officials. Boxing is predictably corrupt
              I can't say you didn't lol

You were pretty much spot on. I kept thinking you were being too much of a Kovalev fan rather than seeing boxing in its entirety but Ward, at times in the first 6, heck, even 8 rounds looked genuinely scared for his life.

Originally posted by Weltschmerz View Post
              Didn't make the judges less shitty and obviously corrupt as hell.
              People acting like the judges did a god job smh

Comment

Working...
              X