No announcement yet.

Why No More Same Day Weigh Ins?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why No More Same Day Weigh Ins?

Why are there no more same day weigh ins in boxing? Why was this practice done away with? You have guys now that weigh in at their target weight and then rehydrate to 10-15 pounds heavier which sort of defeats the purpose.

I just look at most lower weight classes by adding the amount of pounds most of the fighters put back on after the weigh ins, since pretty much everybody in the sport does this. This way it doesn't really bother me anymore.

It's when a bigger guy is having a smaller guy move up in weight for a fight is when it becomes a problem.

Comment

I believe the idea behind the change was supposedly for the safety of the fighters. There were concerns about fighters dehydrating themselves before a fight and the extra time gave them time to rehydrate themselves.

However with fighters dropping down to a weight they don't belong in, the safety is not any more guaranteed because they still may not hydrate themselves enough or reverse the massive weight loss they endured to fight smaller opponents. This was possibly the case in the McClellan-Benn fight as the Kronk gym quit doing the weight drop soon after that fight. I preferred the same day weigh in because I believe if a fighter cannot make the weight the day of the fight, they should be fighting in another weight division.

Comment

The protective fluid lost in and Around the brain when you dehydrate yourself- how much of that can you replenish between weigh in and fight?

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
          I believe the idea behind the change was supposedly for the safety of the fighters. There were concerns about fighters dehydrating themselves before a fight and the extra time gave them time to rehydrate themselves.

However with fighters dropping down to a weight they don't belong in, the safety is not any more guaranteed because they still may not hydrate themselves enough or reverse the massive weight loss they endured to fight smaller opponents. This was possibly the case in the McClellan-Benn fight as the Kronk gym quit doing the weight drop soon after that fight. I preferred the same day weigh in because I believe if a fighter cannot make the weight the day of the fight, they should be fighting in another weight division.
          It was. However, as you say, what is actually the safest thing for the fighter? IBF have made a maximum limit now with next day weigh ins, and that's a good step in my opinion.

If some fighters hydrate 15+ pounds in a single day, it's simply unhealthy and they shouldn't then be in that particular weightclass.

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post
            The protective fluid lost in and Around the brain when you dehydrate yourself- how much of that can you replenish between weigh in and fight?
            This. Even if you gain the weight back your brain takes longer to hydrate. The ibf setting weight limits is a good sign though.

To answer the op it was originally for safety but nowadays they use it for promotional purposes. It's unlikely that they'll go back to same day weigh ins unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Wuckoo View Post
              This. Even if you gain the weight back your brain takes longer to hydrate. The ibf setting weight limits is a good sign though.

To answer the op it was originally for safety but nowadays they use it for promotional purposes. It's unlikely that they'll go back to same day weigh ins unfortunately.
              Yes, and I admit that I enjoy the fact that it's the day before the fight. The wait and anticipation for a fight can be frustrating especially the days leading up to it, so the weigh ins are fun and compelling and ease you into the fight, and they make the wait more bearable.

Comment

Originally posted by BKM-2010 View Post
                Yes, and I admit that I enjoy the fact that it's the day before the fight. The wait and anticipation for a fight can be frustrating especially the days leading up to it, so the weigh ins are fun and compelling and ease you into the fight, and they make the wait more bearable.
                Yeah. And there is the occasional drama where someone comes in overweight or maybe intentionally below the limit

Comment

Fighters don't rehydrate conventionally via drinking...they generally take 1.5-2 bags of fluid through IV which hydrates them quickly and for the most part properly.

Same day weigh-ins present two problems. Aside from safety as previously mentioned if fighters lose the opportunity to cut water they WILL cut muscle over a lotnger period of time to maintain size/reach, making them weaker and slower (less fun to watch).

Comment

In the so-called "middleweight" tussle between Julio Chavez Jr. and Marco Rubio, we saw a cruiser (Chavez 181 lbs) vs a light heavy (Rubio 171 lbs).
                    Rubio: "He was too heavy for me. I couldn't handle his weight."

A real pro, signing a fight and having several weeks or months to prepare for it, should be able to carry the right weight the day of the fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X