No announcement yet.

"Finessing" your way through the fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
    Jacobs's gameplan certainly had Golovkin uncomfortable, but there were certainly a majority of rounds where Jacobs simply threw ineffective or inaccurate combos while Golovkin hit him with the clearly more accurate and effective shots.

People seem to be giving rounds to Jacobs for simply throwing punches and not taking punishment, even if Golovkin was clearly winning those rounds by landing a greater number of good punches. It's like the simple idea of Golovkin being uncomfortable means he was losing, even when he was the more effective fighter within these rounds.
    Jacobs, for me at least, has always been an ugly fighter to watch. Nothing about his style looks nice, almost like he has no identity as a fighter.

Comment

Jacobs's gameplan certainly had Golovkin uncomfortable, but there were certainly a majority of rounds where Jacobs simply threw ineffective or inaccurate combos while Golovkin hit him with the clearly more accurate and effective shots.

People seem to be giving rounds to Jacobs for simply throwing punches and not taking punishment, even if Golovkin was clearly winning those rounds by landing a greater number of good punches. It's like the simple idea of Golovkin being uncomfortable means he was losing, even when he was the more effective fighter within these rounds.
      Golovkin didn't clearly win many rounds though.

Not saying Jacobs did either but he was rendered ineffective for a lot of the fight.

Comment

Finessing is also used in slang to mean robbing someone else of their property.

Which Jacobs tried to do with hope that the judges were in on the act.

Comment

Originally posted by NaijaD View Post
          This!!

I think Golovkin was the deserved winner even though I didn't score it for him but trying to make it sound like Golovkin was in control is almost as bad as the people claiming Jacobs was robbed.

Also why do people keep making a big deal about the weight, Jacobs probably did have about 5-7 pounds on Golovkin in the ring but I'm pretty sure we expected that..... Yes!, Jacobs is the bigger guy but he's still a MW. The way these apologists are going on you would think Golovkin came into the ring weighing 160 and Jacobs 190. The reality is Golovkin probably came on at 170-175 and Jacobs 175-180.
          No issue with Golovkin winning. I had Jacobs by a point.

Good point on the weight also. I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            Golovkin didn't clearly win many rounds though.

Not saying Jacobs did either but he was rendered ineffective for a lot of the fight.
            I thought he clearly won at least 6. He wasn't as effective as he usually is, but Golovkin was still the more effective fighter landing the greater number of effective punches while Jacobs moved and flailed.

I cannot see 7 rounds for Jacobs. 2 viewings and those rounds just aren't there.

Comment

I thought he clearly won at least 6. He wasn't as effective as he usually is, but Golovkin was still the more effective fighter landing the greater number of effective punches while Jacobs moved and flailed.

I cannot see 7 rounds for Jacobs. 2 viewings and those rounds just aren't there.
              No way did he clearly win 6. Doubt he even clearly won 4. A lot of he rounds were close.

Going off the top of my head here but there is no way he clearly won or won 6 dominantly. Well, IMO. But I'd assume you are in the minority there.

Comment

I can't see how you give Golovkin 6 clear rounds. Where? There were very few clear rounds in the whole fight. Only about 2 were clear for either fighter. Either way, Golovkin looked horrible. He wasn't finessed. He was rendered rather ineffective and he spent a huge majority of the fight chasing and not trapping or punching, especially on the inside. I have no issue with the result. But I will say Golovkin barely squeaked by.

Comment

Jacobs was "finessing" some heavy punches to Golovkin's head and body last night. If it was Jacobs merely surviving the fight I wouldn't have a problem with the results. Jacobs landed enough meaningful punches to warrant a win. No Golovkin was not in control of the fight. He looked lost at times and the Jacobs' power kept him honest enough where he never attempted to rush in like he's done in the past.

Comment

Great post, I agree. However finessing is smart though and I can't blame anyone for it. Every fighter does it to a degree.

After Golovkin settled in, he definitely was in charge of the ring for majority of the fight - especially with his jab. Rozier kept telling Danny to move and jab all night, but that was rendered ineffective. It's interesting to see how Golovkin was able to outjab someone with a reach advantage.

Comment

Give Jacobs his damn respect, he fought great but GGG was greater

Comment

Working...
                      X