No announcement yet.

Evidence mounts for quantum criticality theory

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evidence mounts for quantum criticality theory

"A new study by a team of physicists at Rice University, Zhejiang University, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Florida State University and the Max Planck Institute adds to the growing body of evidence supporting a theory that strange electronic behaviors—including high-temperature superconductivity and heavy fermion physics—arise from quantum fluctuations of strongly correlated electrons."

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2015-01-evidenc...heory.html#jCp

Hopefully someone can come in here and translate what I just read

Comment

This part did me in, it just destroyed my brain:
      including high-temperature superconductivity and heavy fermion physics—arise from quantum fluctuations of strongly correlated electrons.
      WTF

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
        This part did me in, it just destroyed my brain:

WTF
        Heavy-fermion metals and high-temperature superconductors are examples of quantum matter, and the new research is an example of the pathbreaking, collaborative research that Rice hopes to foster with the new Rice Center for Quantum Materials.

Comment

And I just masturbated.

Comment

Originally posted by Cupo303 View Post
            And I just masturbated.
            Eyy! Let's start a club?

Comment

Originally posted by PAC-BOY View Post
              Heavy-fermion metals and high-temperature superconductors are examples of quantum matter, and the new research is an example of the pathbreaking, collaborative research that Rice hopes to foster with the new Rice Center for Quantum Materials.
              Thanks bro, but I still don't understand.

What is that subject, physics? I really need to take a General Physics class. I have been wanting to, but it's always either unavailable or scheduled for ****ty days like Sunday morning. I am not waking up in early in the weekend to take physics. But I really do want to take a Physics 101 class. Hopefully later this year.

Comment

Okay it is Physics, a "team of physicists". Yeah, I have never take a Physics course in my life, and I dropped out of HS before I could. So this stuff is like super science to me, more because of the vocabulary.

Comment

Lmao!!!

Sorry for that, kev. It is saying that they have found an experimental evidence for quantum criticality, 14 years after it's theoretical foundation was established. It means they got a number(critical value) to deal with now in order to create (quantum) materials, which will make several aspects of our lives change, like super cell phones, super super computer, super airplanes, trains, super hospital equipments and many many more applications.

This similar to what einstein's theory of relativity, which claimed that space and time are related and that light bends when it is influenced by massive objects with massive gravitational force. They found a physical evidence of this when they observed a lunar( or was it solar) ecclipse several years later.

Damn, l'm having a hard time explaining this and l'm not even sure if my explanation is clear.

Comment

Originally posted by kadyo View Post
                    Lmao!!!

Sorry for that, kev. It is saying that they have found an experimental evidence for quantum criticality, 14 years after it's theoretical foundation was established. It means they got a number(critical value) to deal with now in order to create (quantum) materials, which will make several aspects of our lives change, like super cell phones, super super computer, super airplanes, trains, super hospital equipments and many many more applications.

This similar to what einstein's theory of relativity, which claimed that space and time are related and that light bends when it is influenced by massive objects with massive gravitational force. They found a physical evidence of this when they observed a lunar( or was it solar) ecclipse several years later.

Damn, l'm having a hard time explaining this and l'm not even sure if my explanation is clear.
                    Prof, I told you to stop taking drugs. Drugs makes you do things that destoys brain cells.

Comment

Working...
                    X