Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lavar Ball has changed college and professional basketball forever

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [REAL TALK] Lavar Ball has changed college and professional basketball forever

The NBA G-League announced today that they'll be giving elite 18 y/o's the opportunity to skip college and join the G-League. They'll be able to hire agents, get endorsement deals, and be paid to play. It's a path to the NBA.

This copies the JBA league which was started by Lavar Ball last year.

I give Lavar credit for wanting to be the next Phil Knight rather than the next Jordan. However, it's clear he went about all of this the wrong way.

Had he partnered with Nike or Adidas, kept his youngest in HS, and allowed the middle one to go back to college, he'd be at the forefront of things and in a much better position IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
      I give Lavar credit for wanting to be the next Phil Knight rather than the next Jordan. However, it's clear he went about all of this the wrong way.

Had he partnered with Nike or Adidas, kept his youngest in HS, and allowed the middle one to go back to college, he'd be at the forefront of things and in a much better position IMO.
      I knew the JBA would never succeed. He was going up against the NBA and NCAA. He's not powerful enough. But one thing I noticed is he was all over the TV when he was making crazy statements. When he started talking about the JBA suddenly I didn't see him on TV as much. Strange

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
        I knew the JBA would never succeed. He was going up against the NBA and NCAA. He's not powerful enough. But one thing I noticed is he was all over the TV when he was making crazy statements. When he started talking about the JBA suddenly I didn't see him on TV as much. Strange
        I think he pissed Magic off and Magic made it clear to him to STFU and do not f-ck with the money!

Lavar's JBA was a GREAT idea IMO, he just should've partnered with Nike to make it happen.

NBA basically hijacked his idea.

Comment

So his league was active/is still active? I don't follow other sports, but this seemed like a great idea cuz who the f#ck wants to play high level sports + study. Baseball had this right a long ass time ago. If there isn't something like this for football there should be. Idk how hockey does sh^t with upcoming guys but I seem to think plenty of them don't got a college background either.

But w/e with Lavar's thing this is a good move for the NBA.

Didn't they have a D-League for awhile or still do to?

Also wtf does G-League stand for?

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
            So his league was active/is still active? I don't follow other sports, but this seemed like a great idea cuz who the f#ck wants to play high level sports + study. Baseball had this right a long ass time ago. If there isn't something like this for football there should be. Idk how hockey does sh^t with upcoming guys but I seem to think plenty of them don't got a college background either.

But w/e with Lavar's thing this is a good move for the NBA.

Didn't they have a D-League for awhile or still do to?

Also wtf does G-League stand for?
            D League name was changed to G-League aka Gatorade League

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post

Well this is going to make it a lot harder for the NCAA to maintain it's position that student athletes shouldn't be getting paid. The G-league will certainly offer some kind of pay.

The NCAA offers the glamor of being on primetime tv for many of them, but that might not be enough.
                Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 10-18-2018, 05:24 PM.

Comment

The JBA wasn't about giving young guys a path to make money, it was about spiting UCLA for suspending Gelo and to promote the Ball bros and BBB.

I doubt this league will exist once Lamelo turns 20.

Comment

Too many BBCs in here.

Comment

Working...
                    X