Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top 10 fighters of the last 21 years...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The most impressive thing about Whitaker that for me puts him above everybody else is the Vasquez win. Manny needed catchweights against Oscar, Cotto, and Margarito. Not to mention Margarito was not a top 154 at the time.

Whitaker went up and fought the #1 guy at Jr Middleweight AT 154 who only have one lost from a DQ in 54 fights and beat him. Was constantly in the top 10 all through the 90's until 1999. Was top 3 at 154 from 1993-1996 not to mention #1 when Pernell beat him.

He took out the best guy when he moved up to his highest weight class unlike Pac & Roy Jones when they got their highest title weight. Not to mention he was exceptionally dominate at his weight class and was always looking for best fight out there unlike the fools these days pussay footing around.

Comment

• Originally posted by Natedatpkid View Post
      The most impressive thing about Whitaker that for me puts him above everybody else is the Vasquez win. Manny needed catchweights against Oscar, Cotto, and Margarito. Not to mention Margarito was not a top 154 at the time.

Whitaker went up and fought the #1 guy at Jr Middleweight AT 154 who only have one lost from a DQ in 54 fights and beat him. Was constantly in the top 10 all through the 90's until 1999. Was top 3 at 154 from 1993-1996 not to mention #1 when Pernell beat him.

He took out the best guy when he moved up to his highest weight class unlike Pac & Roy Jones when they got their highest title weight. Not to mention he was exceptionally dominate at his weight class and was always looking for best fight out there unlike the fools these days pussay footing around.
      Oscar wasn't a catchweight but he was dead at 147 so your point still remains.

That's a valid point about Pea but I would still personally have him #2 to Roy Jones.

I haven't devised a list for this time frame but I have no doubt Roy Jones would be #1 solely on what he did in the 90's.
      It's unmatched, IMO. He was THE fighter of the 90's.

Comment

• Originally posted by Walt Liquor View Post
        Everyone's been laughing about this but I didn't see it in the thread. I'd like to so I can get a chuckle too....
        It was in a thread he made about his all time great rankings.

Should be in his thread history.

Comment

• Originally posted by Natedatpkid View Post
          The most impressive thing about Whitaker that for me puts him above everybody else is the Vasquez win. Manny needed catchweights against Oscar, Cotto, and Margarito. Not to mention Margarito was not a top 154 at the time.

To discount 3 of Pacquiao's fight's because of a catchweight is bs considering Pacquaio is fighting outside of his true weight class (you know fighters don't fight at their actual weight).

I mean if we want to do that then the SRL-Hagler fight was bs then because it was at a catchweight.

Comment

• Originally posted by strykr619 View Post
            To discount 3 of Pacquiao's fight's because of a catchweight is bs considering Pacquaio is fighting outside of his true weight class (you know fighters don't fight at their actual weight).

I mean if we want to do that then the SRL-Hagler fight was bs then because it was at a catchweight.
            160 is a catchweight ?.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
              It was in a thread he made about his all time great rankings.

Should be in his thread history.
              I found it:

James Toney

Virgil Hill/Winky Wright/Shane Mosley

Perneall Whitaker/Antonio Margarito

Comment

• Originally posted by studentofthegam View Post
                There is no excuse for not having Floyd in there. You didnt to avoid confrontation.

My eyes imediately went to Hamed. Good Laud! You never heard of....or.....Didnt watch boxing?
                Prince Naseem Hamed was very popular among Indians and Pakistanis in New York City. I lived in Queens where the population of that borough is very mixed from Indians, Pakistanis, Guyanese, Trinidad and Tobago, Jamaicans, and what have you.

So while, Latinos (Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Nicaraguans, Colombians and others) were talking about Oscar, Tito, and other popular Hispanic fighters those Indians, Pakistanis, and others were talking about Hamed. As I said, my list isn't about skills or resumes but based on popularity.

Think about it: Hamed's first fight in the U.S. was in Madison Square Garden, New York City. And his next fight, was in New Jersey a bridge away from New York City again. So, Hamed was very popular in New York City among the people it mattered who also lived in my borough (Queens).

Here is a news article written back in 1997:

http://articles.philly.com/1997-12-1...nization-title

Here is a collection of New York Times news article about Prince Naseem Hamed:

http://www.nytimes.com/keyword/kevin-kelley

I can do the same for Tito Trinidad and Oscar De La Hoya the newspapers are a lot. New York Post, New York Daily News, New York Times, and other major newspapers covered those two fighters a lot since the population of New York City is made up of Hispanics from Brooklyn, Bronx, to Queens.
                Last edited by jjbj2; 05-19-2011, 11:40 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steak View Post
                  The best has to be Whitaker. He has the best single win of the last 20 years over Chavez, and has a plethora of other high quality wins to back it up, like Ramirez, Nelson, Vasquez, McGirt, etc.

add in the fact that he just might deserve a win over prime DLH despite being past prime and coked up and personally its pretty clear cut for me.

I put most my emphasis on quality of wins, and there I think Whitaker just has too much going for him.

A win that didn't actually happen against Chavez at a weight Chavez clearly was not built for is better then:

Roy Jones dominating James Toney
                  Chavez shutting out the undefeated Hector Camacho
                  Pacquiao knocking out Barrera

You can not be serious

Comment

• Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
                    A win that didn't actually happen against Chavez at a weight Chavez clearly was not built for is better then:

Roy Jones dominating James Toney
                    Chavez shutting out the undefeated Hector Camacho
                    Pacquiao knocking out Barrera

You can not be serious
                    You give Marquez a lot of credit for beating Too Sharp at bantam in which he did nothing so stfu...

Comment

• 1. Ricardo Lopez
                      2. Bernard Hopkins
                      3. Evander Holyfield
                      4. Manny Pacquiao
                      5. Floyd Mayweather
                      6. Roy Jones
                      7. Joe Calzaghe
                      8. Pernell Whitaker
                      9. Lennox Lewis
                      10. Terry Norris

Tough list to make, subject to change.