No announcement yet.

James Toney And Ray Mercer On Fedor

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Toney And Ray Mercer On Fedor

James Toney And Ray Mercer On Fedor from snake rattle on Vimeo.

Originally posted by snakerattle79 View Post
    wtf was James saying man... all i got was a tyson analogy? lol

Comment

It's kinda sad how punchy both those guys are.

Comment

I watched the full show last night. I pretty much thought they were using the same old bias perspectives with which boxers tend to describe MMA striking (perhaps the same mythology is a better description). Getting on your toes and boxing doesn't quite work the same way for MMA as it does for boxing.

Also, Fedor's timing is absolutely insane. This is why he is so great at capitalising on guy's mistakes. In the Rogers fight, he threw the righthand counter before Rogers had even let fly with his left. (Fedor reacted to Rogers' telegraphing step).

Another thing I've noticed watching Fedor's last 2 fights, he cleared his nostrils just before kayoing both Arlovski and Rogers. I guess that when Fedor clears his nostrils is when you know that **** is about to get serious
        Last edited by Drunken Cat; 03-16-2010, 01:56 PM.

Comment

jeez Toney is a mumbling mess.

Comment

Here is the full episode here, in my opinion Mercer came off as sort of a class act in this episode and like Bas and Rice, I too I'm not crazy about the ground and pound tactic, I feel it demeans the ground game a bit in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Elemental Fist View Post
              Here is the full episode here, in my opinion Mercer came off as sort of a class act in this episode and like Bas and Rice, I too I'm not crazy about the ground and pound tactic, I feel it demeans the ground game a bit in my opinion.

I agree with your comments and that Mercer was a class act. I didn't mean to insinuate anything to the contrary (just for the record).

Toney was a bit out there with some of his comments, but I think he was pretty much just being Toney for the most part. He seemed to come off as a little bit naive about the ground game, but I'm not really convinced that that's what he really thinks.

I still thought they sort of parroted the same old mythological bull**** about boxing in MMA though on the discussion about Fedor.

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
                I agree with your comments and that Mercer was a class act. I didn't mean to insinuate anything to the contrary (just for the record).

Toney was a bit out there with some of his comments, but I think he was pretty much just being Toney for the most part. He seemed to come off as a little bit naive about the ground game, but I'm not really convinced that that's what he really thinks.

I still thought they sort of parroted the same old mythological bull**** about boxing in MMA though on the discussion about Fedor.
                You got no complains from me there, Toney is definitely selling Fedor short however you can say he's responding to the way Dana White and many MMA elitists love to **** on Boxing, it wasn't a good response but I don't really blame him. Fedor can be at a disadvantage against a good puncher (he was almost dazed by Fujita and Andre was actually if for a short time in the driver's seat) but he makes up for it by keeping calm under pressure and knowing when to take advantage of an opening plus having a good punch in his own right.

I agree with Noons that learning Boxing fundamentals is an important aspect many MMA training seem to lack mostly due to reliance on ground game styles like BJJ and other striking arts like Muay Thai.
                Last edited by Elemental Fist; 03-16-2010, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
                  I watched the full show last night. I pretty much thought they were using the same old bias perspectives with which boxers tend to describe MMA striking (perhaps the same mythology is a better description). Getting on your toes and boxing doesn't quite work the same way for MMA as it does for boxing.

:
                  and how exactly do we know that...because of the Tim Silva Ray Mercer fight?

Silva made a name for himself as a top MMA heavyweight striker taking out his competition with striking, only to be Koed in seconds by an old top ranked Boxer. I think it's you guys that are indulging the mythologies. You watch these MMA guys striking horribly among themselves, and based on that, you believe that they can outstrike a top ranked pro Boxer, even older ones like these.

The thing is, these MMA fighters are not as niave as their fans. if Toney or Mercer fight Fedor, their going to be dropped on their heads in a clinch in the first 30 seconds, trust me.
                  Last edited by res; 03-16-2010, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by res View Post
                    and how exactly do we know that...because of the Tim Silva Ray Mercer fight?

Silva made a name for himself as a top MMA heavyweight striker taking out his competition with striking, only to be Koed in seconds by an old top ranked Boxer. I think it's you guys that are indulging the mythologies. You watch these MMA guys striking horribly among themselves, and based on that, you believe that they can outstrike a top ranked pro Boxer, even older ones like these.

The thing is, these MMA fighters are not as niave as their fans. if Toney or Mercer fight Fedor, their going to be dropped on their heads in a clinch in the first 30 seconds, trust me.
                    Who exactly are these great fighters that Sylvia Koed? Can McGee? Arvloski? I don't even think that Sylvia ever considered himself a top striker in MMA...

Comment

Working...
                    X