No announcement yet.

To This Day I Still Can't Believe What Floyd Mayweather Accomplished

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To This Day I Still Can't Believe What Floyd Mayweather Accomplished

Before I start this post, which will no doubt be very long, detailed and boring to some - If I see some fanboys calling other people ******s for discussing boxing on a serious level, they'll get blocked instantly. It's not the point of this post; even though I like a good troll myself every once while.

Also, everyone here knows that I am not a particular fan of Mayweahter. I respect him and see him as one of boxing's greatest ever fighters (somewhere in the top 30), but I do find his style incredibly boring.

Now, I was thinking about him - and I still can't believe what this guy accomplished in his career. Every part of boxing history tells me this guy is a MASSIVE over-achiever. Incredible over-achiever.

Everything through hundreds of years of boxing history, tells us that Floyd should never have been a popular guy in boxing. At least not to the extent he was.

Looking through memory lane, we can understand how you need to be at least one of three things to be a star in America, but preferably all three:
    • Be a heavyweight
    • Be a knockout puncher
    • Be an exciting personality

Floyd Mayweather is neither of these.

He's flashy yes. But it's repetitive. It's not exciting to watch him talk about how rich he is or how many cars he has - Actually it's rather tedious and predictable. I personally found it way more exciting when he was clowning ODLH for wearing dresses or Marquez for drinking home-made tea.

But this was weirdly (to me) before he was a big big star - Before he could hold a 1million PPVs on his own.

Let's look at some facts:
    • Floyd talks a lot of smack but doesn't actually deliver

When I say this, I don't mean it in the sense that he's not winning or technically brilliant, he is. One of the best. But he talks about kicking ass and "I'm going to F you up" and stuff like that. Yet goes in the ring and... doesn't even remotely come close to that.

He's a points guy.

Every. Single. Time.

Now there's no problem with that - It's fine for us hardcore boxing fans in small doses. My surprise is that the casual boxing fan still buys it.

When is the last time the casual boxing fan came out and said "Wow, that was a great fight!" Maybe at a stretch the Maidana fight? But was it really because it was exciting, or was it just because it was exciting for Floyd's very low standards?

What really surprises me is that the casual fan - and this is a key point here as these are the guys who buy the PPVs at large - even after being disappointed time after time, still bought the PPVs the next time.

Was it just because of the anticipation of Mayweather vs Pacquiao happening down the line?

I'll be honest with you - May 5th, 2015 I was on a beach in Malaysia called 'the perhentians', and by this time I didn't even care about the fight. I didn't watch it live and only saw the result on boxingscene the next day on my phone and thought "Thank God I didn't waste my time AGAIN".

I'm thinking of Roy Jones Jr. I was lucky enough to grow up watching this guy in my teen years, and I thought this guy was superman with boxing gloves on.

He had two of the of important ingredients mentioned above to be a popular fighter: power and personality.

He was smart, inventive and actually KICKED ASS. But he never made it close to being a PPV star - He was actually a regular guy on HBO doing good numbers sure, but he wasn't a STAR.

Of course we had the 90s heavyweight era in that time, so I guess people were less hungry for a light heavyweight with a big mouth when you have Mike Tyson.

I feel Floyd's level of commercial value was pretty accurate when he fought Judah and Gatti. The sort of Crawford level of today.

Everything in boxing history tells me that's where he should have peaked - in terms of numbers.

But he mastered the game, and you have to take your hat off to that level of hustle.

But I'll never understand how he did it.

I kinda see where you're coming from. He sold himself brilliantly but i think after 2009 he benefited from being in a weak era without any real PPV stars.

He played the long game and cashed out bigtime at the end of it.

Comment

He made his name off of the 24/7's back in the day (Oscar, Hatton, Mosely). He worked that sh.t beatifully and truly made himself a polarizing athlete. You either loved him and watched his fights to cheer for him, or you hated his guts and bought the fights to see him get his ass kicked.

Comment

Floyd was a genius both inside and outside (from a marketing perspective) the ring. Many of us kept hoping he would lose but I learned a long time ago not to bet against him. After the first couple of rounds he had his opponent's number and beat him. The guy was great.

Comment

Could been a 6 weight champ. Should have tried to beat Sergio martinez.
          Coulda done more.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankieClutch View Post
            He made his name off of the 24/7's back in the day (Oscar, Hatton, Mosely). He worked that sh.t beatifully and truly made himself a polarizing athlete. You either loved him and watched his fights to cheer for him, or you hated his guts and bought the fights to see him get his ass kicked.
            I agree he was great at marketing - And I would have been fooled into buying the Oscar fight too. And maybe a few more.

But after five 24/7s and all of the fights being duds, I'm still surprised people still bought it!

I never hated Floyd. I also never really liked him. I thought he was just weirdly dull. There isn't anything about him as a person that's interesting imo.

He's just tedious and sort of basic. Not that smart, not funnily dumb. Just a basic guy who repeats a lot of things and buys a lot of cars.

I guess that's why I'm still so shocked!!

Comment

Originally posted by hugh grant View Post
              Could been a 6 weight champ. Should have tried to beat Sergio martinez.
              Coulda done more.
              I'm not referring to his in-ring accomplishments as clearly stated in the post.

Comment

Originally posted by Graz View Post
                Floyd was a genius both inside and outside (from a marketing perspective) the ring. Many of us kept hoping he would lose but I learned a long time ago not to bet against him. After the first couple of rounds he had his opponent's number and beat him. The guy was great.
                True. All true.

But name one other fighter in history with that kind of style (non-puncher, technical, not a heavyweight) who sold that much?

Exactly how you described his style is why I find it so surprising that people kept buying the PPVs.

Comment

he did it cause he fought big names time and time again. just list the names of the guys he fought and compare them to guys that the current fighters at the top of the p4p list have fought. if people keep seeing you in big fight and they keep seeing you winning them, they are going to keep watching you. to put things into perspective a lot of the current fighters would have spent a few years marinating some of the guys he fought relatively early. like him v judah for example, youd have had people on here saying 'its too early, fight dont make sense'. he was in a different era and took dangerous fights early on and often. yeah the pacquiao fight was slow to make but he was already a star by then. too many of the current boxers havent put 1/10th of the effort in that floyd did in and outside of the ring yet stand there crying about not being a big star. you reap what you sow.

Comment

Floyd is a an exciting personality, I can’t stand the guy but he clearly has natural showmanship and charisma. He’s fantastic at selling a fight and that’s largely down to his personality...

The reason he became a major PPV star is because of ODLH, that fight established Floyd as the biggest star in the sport. That fight took Floyd from a 300-400k buys PPV fighter to a 1m+ buys PPV fighter. ODLH done the exact same for Pacquiao as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X