Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You need to STOP with the "eye test" BS. You're doing fighters a disservice.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unlike everyone else, I'm not gonna nitpick the listed examples and focus on the crux of the thread. I agree that the eye test shouldn't supplant resume when ranking a fighter. The eye test is what you believe a fighter will eventually do in the FUTURE based on their talent. A resume is what a fighter has already PROVEN. Ranking fighter with the eye test above proven fighters is a slap in the face to fighters who have accomplished what you think a supposedly more talented fighter will achieve eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by revelated View Post

Consider though: I don't think Darnell Boone EVER was on any "eye test" - yet he stopped Adonis Stevenson and gave Kov and Ward fits. That's why I don't give credibility to the "eye test" BS, it works in reverse too.
      Anyone who knows boxing knows Darnell Boone would be a challenge for any champion. You simply using boxing math because you have no idea what you're looking at.

And most of y'all are hypocriical focks too. You were the ones using the eye test to claim that Golovkin would just bulldozer his way through Canelo, even is resume is paper thin. I on, the other hand, was certain that Golovkin could never land anything significant on Canelo given his slow hands and feet and Canelo razor sharp reflexes. Guess what happened.

Comment

im cant really make it out if you are joking or being serious.

Anthony Mundine is considered a Hall of famer?

Is danny green an ATG because he has beaten 2 hall of famers (roy jones and mundine)?

crawfords win over horn has an asteriks?

Comment

Originally posted by lizard_man View Post
          I do get it. We know it's bullshlt though. Raheem beat a prime Morales in 2005. When did horn make his debut? 2014? Come on man.
          And Holyfield beat a Tyson on the decline. What's your point?

The bottom line is, when you beat a NAMED PPV QUALITY FIGHTER, it's in the books and that's all that matters. So for Jeff Horn...he was smart. He fought and continues to call out named fighters. He's now fought FOUR of them and knocked out three, UNANIMOUS'd the other one - feat only Erik Morales and Floyd Mayweather have accomplished.

See, if Jeff 'The Hornet' Horn hadn't pulled it out against Manny, we wouldn't be having this conversation. See below

Originally posted by DumpkinsPlus5 View Post
          Unlike everyone else, I'm not gonna nitpick the listed examples and focus on the crux of the thread. I agree that the eye test shouldn't supplant resume when ranking a fighter. The eye test is what you believe a fighter will eventually do in the FUTURE based on their talent. A resume is what a fighter has already PROVEN. Ranking fighter with the eye test above proven fighters is a slap in the face to fighters who have accomplished what you think a supposedly more talented fighter will achieve eventually.
          This is the point to focus on. Respeck

Originally posted by KingHippo View Post
          Anyone who knows boxing knows Darnell Boone would be a challenge for any champion. You simply using boxing math because you have no idea what you're looking at.
          Floyd, Peterson, Danny Garcia, Keith Thurman and Canelo all box circles around Boone. Even prime Boone. You know that.

The thing is, that's less about Boone than those fighters. Boone is a challenge for fighters who tend to stop fighting smart when they get ****y about who's across from them. Loma and Crawford BOTH fit in that category. Which is why Loma holds an L from Salido and got dropped by Linares, and why Crawford was Bambi'd by Gamboa and had to resort to low blowing Khan. If he couldn't spark Khan's chin to get him out of there fair, there's no way he's getting Boone out of there - and Boone walks through the punches.

Originally posted by asgarth View Post
          Anthony Mundine is considered a Hall of famer?
          He will be. Remember, they got Naseem Hamed in there

Is danny green an ATG because he has beaten 2 hall of famers (roy jones and mundine)?
          Well let's see. I watched the Jones/Green fight, you heard the same commentary I did:

crawfords win over horn has an asteriks?
          Two of them, actually. One, for delaying the fight over a suspicious and likely BS hand injury (throws off the training cycle and prep), two which wasn't his fault, a trigger happy ref that stopped Horn when he wasn't hurt. Still credit for the win, but it's tainted compared to what he was EXPECTED to do if he's a P4P.

See, that's the measurement. If people didn't consider him some P4P, the measuring stick wouldn't be so damn high.

Comment

I should've done that with Hurd

Comment

Rigo was Pound for Pound top 5 when loma beat him. Many on here and many experts picked rigo over loma. Fact of the matter is Loma DOMINATED another pound for pound fighter and made him quit. He made a masterclass boxer like rigo look like a lost amateur.

sorry bud, Loma IS THAT GOOD.

Comment

A resume can be "faked" to a degree, fighters can pad their records and take fights against opponents with name value who are past their prime or subject to other extenuating circumstances. I'd say you HAVE to apply the eye test to ascertain how good a fighter is, otherwise there'd be no point in actually watching fights, you're implying that you could just look at boxrec and instantly have expert knowledge.

So yeah, naw, this thread is stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Southpawology View Post
                  Rigo was Pound for Pound top 5 when loma beat him. Many on here and many experts picked rigo over loma. Fact of the matter is Loma DOMINATED another pound for pound fighter and made him quit. He made a masterclass boxer like rigo look like a lost amateur.

sorry bud, Loma IS THAT GOOD.
                  Yes he did do that. With an asterisk - the weight class.

At Rigo's comfortable weight there's simply no way that fight goes the same.

Originally posted by Scopedog View Post
                  A resume can be "faked" to a degree, fighters can pad their records and take fights against opponents with name value who are past their prime or subject to other extenuating circumstances.
                  A name is a name. We need to stop looking at age as excuse, otherwise we need to stop calling JCC, Trinidad, Camacho, Tyson, Holyfield, Holmes, etc. all-time greats. Because nothing's changed. Hell, Macho Camacho alone made his name on so-called "past prime" or "green" named fighters. What's his signature win? A COMPLETELY shot Sugar Ray Leonard.

Don't want to hear nonsense about resume padding.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                    "Eye test" can be a factor in judging a fighter's worth.

It just shouldn't be the only factor.
                    End of thread tbh

Some of the examples given in the OP are poor as well

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
                      End of thread tbh

Some of the examples given in the OP are poor as well
                      Every example is spot on. People just don't want to admit they overhype guys the Charlos and Jeff Lacy, then when those guys get beat they hop on another bandwagon.

GGG is another "eye test" experiment gone wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X