How good was Floyd Mayweather Sr??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How good was Floyd Mayweather Sr??

Was he ever a world class fighter?

He fought ray Leonard in a semi competitive fight with a broken hand. If it were like today with four belts, he prob would have been a world champion, but he fought in the one belt area. Very respected fighter, I'd say he was world class, but not world famous like Leonard, Hearns, etc. just a notch below those guys

Comment

Originally posted by hateinyaeyes32 View Post
      He fought ray Leonard in a semi competitive fight with a broken hand. If it were like today with four belts, he prob would have been a world champion, but he fought in the one belt area. Very respected fighter, I'd say he was world class, but not world famous like Leonard, Hearns, etc. just a notch below those guys
      He didn't fight in a 1 belt era.

The WBC and the WBA titles were around Ave before Leonard and Hearns hit the scene was carried by fighters who were good but not great.

And the IBF title was also on the scene and carried by respected champions like Donald Curry.

Comment

Off course he was world class so was Roger, was he elite not really.

Comment

He was journeyman-ish (11-5-1, 6KO's vs cats with a winning record, 17-1, 11KO's vs cats with a losing or even record). He lost most of his big fights (Marlon Starling 2x, SRL, Roger Turner which were 4 of his 6 L's). His best win was over Miguel Barreto during the Don King corrupt as f#ck US Tournament back in '77.

I suspect he was in the drug game during most or much of his boxing career & probably didn't take it as seriously as Floyd or Roger did there careers so that probably didn't help his odds of reaching his max success, but idk if he's beating Starling or SRL if he was 50% better either so idk how much above journeyman he'd have gotten.

Comment

jeff was mid, sr was high, roger was world class elite, "lil" floyd was freakish once a life time talent.

in that order.

Comment

I think he was a good fighter just boxed at the wrong ERA had he boxed in these days he probably would have been a 147 and 154 pound champ when people like Broner and Paulie can win the Welterweight title don't you think Sr would have ? Had his son fought Sugar Ray Leonard the same would have happened to Jr that happened to him

Comment

Good enough to shoot Floyd Jr out his c0ck

Comment

Yes, but the drug game got the better of him. I knew guys like that, they couldn't stop hustling and only did small things in the pro's.

Comment

he was a bum and then became a crack head.

Comment

Working...
                    X