• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shawn Porter

Joe Smith Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
      Obviously TBE. Berto and Conor his last 2 is like fighting King Kong and Godzilla.

Comment

Holyfield fought killers at heavyweight the second he stepped into the division.

Comment

1st Marriaga isn't a bad opponent, he's a solid contender coming off a loss but a loss to a champion and top ten FW in a very competive fight. If Marriaga is considered weak competition than no fighter in modern history has fought a steady stream of top notch opponents.

And no I don't care about odds. Odds don't determine how good a fighter is.

Comment

Nobody. Every boxer past or present has boxed someone in a stay busy fight.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
              I'm not here to criticize Lomachenko, I just found it challenging to answer this question and had to really think about it.

As far as "solid" opponents go, I think the following fighters have been fighting solid fighters for quite some time. Keep in mind, I understand that some opponents are not up to par to what fans think the fighter should be fighting, but nonetheless, these following fighters have been fighting "solid" opponents for a while, even those opponents who fans don't accept as being good enough.

Mayweather - (he will break this with McGregor)

Pacquiao - Worst opponents were Rios and Horn, who are still solid.

Wladimir Klitshcko - From 2005 to 2017 he fought maybe 3 weak fighters who I would not call solid.

Hopkins - He fought solid/great opponents from 1994 to 2016, with what I would say 4 pit stops (weak opponents).

Juan Manuel Marquez - From 2003 to 2014, 11 years, he fought two opponents that were below solid: Likar Ramos and Fedchenko.

Timothy Bradley - From 2007 to 2016 Bradley fought nothing but solid, good, or great fighters.
              The one I'm seeing pop up a lot on here is Bradley and yeah, man. They were all solid. Can't argue with that one.

I mean, to me, with how often guys fight now, one solid opponent a year is understandable IMO. If this were the old days where guys were busier I'd want to see two.

But yes, my hat is off to Bradley. I've always been a fan. Hate to see him go but the ride was fun.

Comment

You can pretty much include almost all of the throwback fighters like: Pernell Whitaker, Oscar De La Hoya, James Toney, Bernard Hopkins, Sugar Shane Mosley, Julio Cesar Chavez, Marvin Hagler, Roberto Duran, Muhammad Ali etc.

I cannot think of any current fighters because they are mostly independent contractors; Who often price themselves out fighting for the money. They look for the most lucrative amount of money for the least amount of risk.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverMiles View Post
                  1st Marriaga isn't a bad opponent, he's a solid contender coming off a loss but a loss to a champion and top ten FW in a very competive fight. If Marriaga is considered weak competition than no fighter in modern history has fought a steady stream of top notch opponents.

And no I don't care about odds. Odds don't determine how good a fighter is.
                  Yeah, the main knock I have on him is he came off a loss, but he's still a stop contender and had 21 Kos in 25 wins. Not too shabby. He'd be on par with a lot of so-called solid opponents. I mean, I consider an opponent solid if he's unbeaten in over twenty fights. Even he turns out to not be much, going in, he had a long winning streak and we really don't know if he's good or not until he gets in there. Either way, yes, Marriagi was not the worst by any means.

Comment

The first current fighter that came to mind for me is actually that juicing ruskie Povetkin. Guy has literally fought at least fringe contenders in every one of his fights since 2010 when he fought Nicolai Firtha, never takes on bums in stay busy fights. Pretty impressive resume actually when you look at it and consider what some of the other HW's resume's look like.

Mikey Garcia was the next to come to mind. Obviously he had that layoff, but he's been on a pretty long run of solid opponents without any chumps mixed in. Shawn Porter another good 1 although he does have that one fight against Bone mixed in there. Tim Bradley may be the best answer now that I think of it, can't remember the last time that dude didn't take on a live opponent.
                    Last edited by BigZ44; 08-06-2017, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Deontay Wilder and Gennady Golovkin

Comment

Working...
                      X