Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How about we give Postol some credit instead of degrading Matthysse?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Postal fought great after getting warned about clinching. He got bombed on in the 6th and 7th but still was able to hit Lucas with a fight altering punch at the end of round 7. Fight was a wrap after that.

Comment

Postol was the better fighter and looked quite good. first time I've seen him.

Nothing against Lucas, he's a great fighter and a tough guy to beat.

Comment

Originally posted by saintpat View Post
        What are these "tactics" people are talking about? Hitting the other guy?

I watched it tonight for the first time (on the road working this weekend, DVR'd it) and fail to find what others are complaining about. They both fought a bit dirty, it was an odd mix of styles.

But what I saw was quite often, LM comes forward and when he gets close, he throws his left hand/arm under Postol's right elbow and grabs him around the waist. That leaves Postol with two choices: either hold his right arm extended up in the air or drop it and it results in a clinch ... which was initiated by Lucas.

The other thing LM does repeatedly when he gets in close is duck his head under Postol's left armpit. If he's trying to fight, no way does he repeatedly put his head in this position. He's the one initiating.

The other thing LM does is loop repeated rabbit punches behind the head every time they are in close.

It's really bad, bad form ... horrible mechanics and fundamentals. If he wants to come forward, he should have SOME CLUE of what to do when he gets there. If he actually wants to fight inside, keep your hands close to your own body and THROW PUNCHES and keep your head out from under the other guy's armpit.

He reminds me of Povetkin against Klitschko. Most of those clinches were caused by Sasha boring in and then wrapping his left hand around the waist, or trying to burrow the top of his head into Wlad's belly like he wants to orally service him.

Watch any good aggressive infighter and you'll see that they don't do these things -- they work to avoid clinches and they throw punches when they get in range.

Postol gets him out much earlier if LM is trying to actually fight.

But in the end, Lucas got Post-Holed. All credit to the winner. And this has nothing to do with Lucas staying on his knee with the eye problem. I have no issue with that. He just outclassed and exposed in every way possible.
        Can you not comprehend basic English? A tatic = a strategy, even Freddie Roach said post fight the plan was to clinch on top of Lucas and push him to the ground when he comes in as he was dangerous on the inside. The tactics were too clinch in order to smother Lucas' work. It wasn't pretty but it was effective. i.e. watch every Klitschko fight (most of them are against smaller opponents), he did the exact same thing to Povetkin.

Comment

Originally posted by Salim_Shady View Post
          Can you not comprehend basic English? A tatic = a strategy, even Freddie Roach said post fight the plan was to clinch on top of Lucas and push him to the ground when he comes in as he was dangerous on the inside. The tactics were too clinch in order to smother Lucas' work. It wasn't pretty but it was effective. i.e. watch every Klitschko fight (most of them are against smaller opponents), he did the exact same thing to Povetkin.
          I don't even wanna see Postol fight again after Saturday night. Same feeling I get after I watch Klitschko fight. I'm sick and tired of these type of fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigg Rigg View Post
            I don't even wanna see Postol fight again after Saturday night. Same feeling I get after I watch Klitschko fight. I'm sick and tired of these type of fighters.
            Lol, that's your prerogative. Some people don't like that style and if you're one of them that's no problem. It's just that guy made it sound like such thing didn't take place.

Comment

Yep, Postol deserves props. Which he hasn't been getting on here so much.

A lot of people knew he was a good fighter before this fight, others, it was the first time seeing him. It was his first time in a big fight so there was pressure on him.

He beat a top quality fighter, the guy seen as the best in his division and he did it decisively in the end.
              He was being warned for clinching so had to change things around, he was hurt a couple of times yet still came back. And when he boxed and let his hands go, he looked in total control.

Props to him. A good win which has seen him raise to the top position at 140.

Comment

Lucas said training camp went very well however Postol frustrated him and made him lose his head. Postol was the better fighter on the night and no matter how much you dislike his tactics they were effective and he actually stopped the guy who was undoubtedly top 2 in the division. (Klitschko did the same thing to Povetkin but worse).

All the threads seem to be "Lucas is a hype job", "Lucas quit"...how about Postol is a dangerous mofo. He is the 140 Klitschko and with his size he will trouble anyone. No one else fights in his unique manner and I'm confident no other 140lber except maybe Imam and Crawford would be able to deal/compete with Lucas as effectively.
                Before the fight anyone picking Postol was subject to ridicule. Most of the lucas fans didn't give Postol any credit. All they said was he hadn't beaten anyone, has only 11ko's, etc etc.

Knowing this, why would you expect the post fight comments to be about Postol? everything pre fight was about Lucas so most of the post fight conversation will be about him as well.

Just a side note, I think your post below, in hindsight, is rather funny.

With a potential fight with Pacquiao round the corner, Lucas will refuse to lose this weeknd. Watch how if Lucas is behind he will try to take Postol's head off.
                Last edited by The Big Dunn; 10-07-2015, 07:57 AM.

Comment

The killers on NSB would get up with no eyes and finish the fight tbh.
                  Exactly. It's just pathetic to witness the scum 'commenting' after this fight.

Jesus ****ing christ.

Comment

Postol is up there but 140 got some good names. I wouldn't favor him in fights with Crawford or Imam but there's also Herrera, Benavidez and other credible opponents that are winnable fights for him.

Originally posted by Golovkin View Post
                    Postol has 12KOs for gods sake, and he made Matthysse quit. It wasn't like he was some devastating power puncher. Maidana runs thru Postol and KOs him easy.
                    Yeah but Maidana has no business at 140 right now.

Comment

Just rewatched the fight, Matthysse really didn't show too much physical signs of decline; he broke mentally. Postol was a superior boxer and he frustrated Lucas. And again Lucas' team showed that they are the devil's spawn; absolute trash. All they do is say "box him, land the big punch and you will KO him". They are useless, the instructions are so vague that Lucas has to pretty much make his own game plan as the fight goes on. They don't have a plan B or C either. Matthysse's sister questioned his corner a couple of days ago and pretty much said Lucas needs to completely change his team.

Comment

Working...
                      X